Gettin' them Loose?

gregajo

wrenching in the bad oil garage
Hi All, I guessing others have asked this before but being a newbie I'll ask again. Need recommendations for getting philips head engine cover screws loose without stripping the heads on my CL 350 motor. Thanks, Greg

Yup
I just got mine today, advanced auto. 20 bucks. Not 7 like HF but the gas to get there neglected the savings.

the thing is AMAZING.
The last engine I rebuilt I didn't have one. I bet I drilled out 15 case bolts because they were stripped and wouldn't come loose.
I just removed 20 stuck bolts in about 10 minutes. This thing is my new best friend.

is it really that bad? i used a phillips bit on a socket 1/4" drive and made sure to put lots of pressure not to strip it too much

Yeah.
Depends on engine and if it's been sitting outside, condition of screws, etc but sometimes it impossible to get them out without impact

A little bit of valve grind compound in the head goes a long way helping get stripped screws out too

-VanDy

Yea, an impact driver is my best friend sometimes... but usually a last resort.
Now, not only does the condition of your screwdriver's tip help a lot, but not all Phillips are alike. Our Jap bikes usually have a dot on one point of the cross on the head. This denotes it's JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). An American Phillips just doesn't fit right. It is narrower and bottoms out before it makes contact on the outer edges of the "cross"... Sure it can work but the proper tip can make a big difference.

http://cycleorings.com/phillips.html

If you look around they are available at various vendors including Habor Freight.

Picked up an impact driver this morning from HB and it works like a charm! Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom