Bell Custom 500 helmets vs Biltwell helmets

bigragu9

Anyone know if the Biltwell helmets are any smaller in outside diameter. Just tried on a Custom 500 helmet, makes me look like a lolly pop.

idont know anything about the bitwells, have a 500 also and is a very good helmet. headshape overall would say is the best factor in making you a lollipop. the rockhard helmets are supposed to be even smaller the the 500s. going to buy one in the spring and find out. a good review on the 3/4 rockhards on youtube.

It almost seems like the color makes the helmet look bigger than it is. Tried a black Bell 500 on which
seems much larger than the colored ones on their site. Maybe white is the way to go.

Adamantium said:
idont know anything about the bitwells, have a 500 also and is a very good helmet. headshape overall would say is the best factor in making you a lollipop. the rockhard helmets are supposed to be even smaller the the 500s. going to buy one in the spring and find out. a good review on the 3/4 rockhards on youtube.

what size did you go with? I have a Scorpion Exo 700 full face in size large. I am not sure what size my fitted hat would be nor have I measured my head recently. I am thinking of picking up a silver flake Bell 500.

i have the scorp 1000, and a bell 500 silver metalflake as well, both in Large. i have one of those inbetween heads so i can wear medium or large depending on the helmet. i tried on my friends M bell 500 and it fit tighter and a little better.

Adamantium said:
i have the scorp 1000, and a bell 500 silver metalflake as well, both in Large. i have one of those inbetween heads so i can wear medium or large depending on the helmet. i tried on my friends M bell 500 and it fit tighter and a little better.

So the large is a little loose? When you tried on the medium did it sit at the same height on your head or did it look more lolly-pop ish?

the large is wearable and comfy, but the medium was tighter and more secure and can see it is a tad smaller around the shell. if was going to buy another, which might this spring if get the rockhard, will buy a medium for sure.

71cb450 said:
Buy a vintage helment and re-line it.
they just don't make them like they use to.

Umm no offense dude, but buying a vintage helmet to actually use while riding is pretty dumb... a 30yr old helmet is not going to offer any protection. They may be cool, hell i own at least 2 or 3 old helmets, but i would never wear one while actually riding... then again i actually like my face as is, so do whatever your heart desires, just don't give advice like that to other people.

Just wanted to point out that the standart Biltwell is NOT a dot helmet. It will not do anything in a crash other than give the emts something to scrape your brain off of the road with. They do make a dot helmet now, but I know little about the look/fit.

dakine_surf said:
Umm no offense dude, but buying a vintage helmet to actually use while riding is pretty dumb... a 30yr old helmet is not going to offer any protection. They may be cool, hell i own at least 2 or 3 old helmets, but i would never wear one while actually riding... then again i actually like my face as is, so do whatever your heart desires, just don't give advice like that to other people.

I like how everybody thinks that if you wear a vintage helmet your automatically going to die. my bike rarely goes over 50 so with a vintage helmet it protects and it eliminates the lolipop look. Its not like any cafe racer is very fast or handles worth a shit compared to modern sport bikes. so a vintage helmet goes great with a vintage bike.

http://www.biltwellinc.com/helmets.php

the biltwell actually has a DOT now, just in limited colours.
and about the vintage helmets...dont be careless. thats what it comes down to. helmets have a shelf life of like 3-5 years or something, materials decay over time, and if you want to take a blow to the head in a 30 year old helmet and actually think its going to do more then go POOF like a fart in a brisk wind then you are crazy. you can get a good new helmet DOT for 100 bucks. thats a small price to pay to at least protect most of your head and have the ladies see your pretty smile.

Adamantium said:
http://www.biltwellinc.com/helmets.php

the biltwell actually has a DOT now, just in limited colours.
and about the vintage helmets...dont be careless. thats what it comes down to. helmets have a shelf life of like 3-5 years or something, materials decay over time, and if you want to take a blow to the head in a 30 year old helmet and actually think its going to do more then go POOF like a fart in a brisk wind then you are crazy. you can get a good new helmet DOT for 100 bucks. thats a small price to pay to at least protect most of your head and have the ladies see your pretty smile.

+1

maybe it is just me, but I have seen plenty of sub 35mph crashes that go way bad... i am not trying to be Mr Mom either... yall can do whatever you want, but i have personally buried friends that were in 50mph crashes so i just dont think it is worth it.

Sorry to cause such a uproar I just wanted to find out if one was bigger than the other. I'll just move to NH and forget the whole thing.

Here I was thinking that it was a simple discussion thread, Much more to it than I thought.

I agree that the open face helemts do look a lot cooler, but for someone that has had a low speed crash, in a full face helemt, I wont ride in anything but.

Came off doing about 40km/hr thru some roadworks and slid to a stop face down.
The bloke riding in front of me was wearing an open face, hate to think what his face would have looked like.
The pic is of the helmet afterwards

Attachments

• IMGP1770 (Small).JPG
    IMGP1770 (Small).JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 380
Back
Top Bottom