KZ400 - All Scrambled Up

treitz

Over 1,000 Posts
After 3 years, I finally feel like I have my KZ400 exactly where I want it. It has gone from cafe to brat to scrambler. Took it off road last night for the first time and it was a great deal of fun.

And before you ask, YES I wear a helmet. I just took it off for a break right before these pictures.

History/Build Log:
- Purchased the bike $100 with no title from a guy who took it apart and didn't have time to put it back together.
- Tracked down the title very easily (thank God).
- Assembled bike over the first winter and it pretty much started right up.
- Road it with mild cafe treatment and stock CV carbs for 2 summers.
- Then came the fun...
- Switched from clip-on's to track style bars.
- Hand built 2-up seat (hand sewed by a friend).
- Added fenders & new license plate bracket/tail light.
- 2-1 carb intake manifold + Mikuni VM34 single carb (POD filter)
- Sportster mufflers.
- Mini Speedo (no tach).
- Switch from street tires to knobbies (favorite mod so far) & added fork gators/boots
- I think that's it? "Before" pictures at bottom.

Here is my initial build thread (when I went away from the "cafe" style I decided to start a new thread): http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20981.0

great job. looks good. must feel good to say you are done with a project. :) Mine is just starting. lol

Haha it feels good to be happy with it. Although I don't know that it will ever be "done". There's always something that needs tweaking/adjusting/replacing.

BoJordan said:
Dude!!! this is sick! well done

Thanks man! It's pretty fun to ride. And I really didn't feel like I lost any handling on the road with the new tires either... Which I was a bit worried about.

Cool bike! What tires are are you running on your bike? I have a kz440 that needs new tires and was gonna go the dual purpose knobby route. Thanks!

mwm1977 said:
Cool bike! What tires are are you running on your bike? I have a kz440 that needs new tires and was gonna go the dual purpose knobby route. Thanks!

They are IRC Trials. 3.5 rear, 3 front.

Back
Top Bottom