32x48 Pole Barn Garage

bowman41

Been Around the Block
So it has been a long while since I was able to get anything done on my kz650 mainly due to a new job and I decided to build a larger garage that will be dedicated to builds/projects. So we have finally got to a point on the building that I can post some pictures. This is a project that I am doing with my father. It has basically all been done by us, by hand. The grading work was the only job we outsourced and we had a couple extra hands on the concrete pads. Enjoy.

Where the building was set to go...

All of the material.

Dad and I "figuring" it out...

Got the Poles set in and squared up...

Dug these bad boys out by hand... 4ft deep 18" wide and 3ft long... Long day

Built Middle bay double truss and purlins on the ground then lifted into place with four hand winches...

Middle bay in place...

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    819.9 KB · Views: 446
Now for the end trusses..

Purlins Purlins Purlins

Starting to hang steel on the roof...

Steel Steel Steel

Pops and I after a long day

Rebar set to tie columns to the crete...

Wow that is going to be one nice garage man! Looks like just a beautiful spot it is sitting on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Just testing it out...

Newly acquired project on the right. That truck will be probably never see a paved road again...

Picture of the inside... this is where it currently sits

Current picture of the outside. There will be wainscotting around the bottom that will match the roof. I'm pretty pumped and it will be a much better work space for projects and what not. Hopefully I can get it all finished and wired up within the next month and start back in on the projects that got pushed on the backburner. I have the Kz650 to finish, the rd350 to do (still not sure what direction I want to go in with it), the 400ex needs rebuilt, and the dakota is also going under the knife. Things just keep piling up.

Attachments

• 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
Thanks Clutch. I've always been more into the country setting than the city life. So when 11 acres came up for sale adjacent to mom and pops I had to buy it and thats when we decided to go in on this garage together.

Thanks Maritime.

I posted the dimensions wrong originally. The space under roof is 32x36. we are adding a 12x32 lean-to on the side that will have a taller roof to pull the camper under.

So we did a bit more on the building. We have all of the steel hung on the outside except for the Wainscoting. The trim around the garage doors was very time consuming. Overall we like how it is turning out.

Attachments

• 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,943
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 496
I'm trying to get my head around what I think are the interior pole supports - why are the holes in the ground 3 ft long?

Its the same sort of thing I'm hoping to build at some point, and I'd rather do a pole barn building than something with a perimeter foundation. Mine wouldn't be so big as to need interior supports, but I was just curious what the difference is between the interior supports vs. the perimeter ones.

The trusses are sitting on the center of the 3 poles. The center pole is the main support. The outside two poles for the garage doors and the header of that door. The front of the building where the garage doors are is the only place where there are multiple poles in the same hole.

The holes in the ground are supposed to be 18" round for each pole. Because these pole are set so close it makes that 18" radius overlap. That is why they are 3 foot long.

Hope that helps.

Well we got some more done on the building. A couple pictures from the inside with the truck in it to give some perspective on the size and a some from the outside. We still have some trim that needs to be cut (End of the ridge cap) but its closed in and time to start in on wiring it up and getting the woodburner hooked up.

Attachments

• 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 432
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 400
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    986.9 KB · Views: 444
  • 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 454
We got the RD350 and the KZ650 moved down to their new homes. PLENTY of Room to work and move things around. I moved the old welding/grinding/banging table down and a small rolling toolbox. I'll have the table top for the welding table this weekend as well. I manage to score some 1" (thick) x 4" (wide) x 10 ft(long) flat stock steel. Going to make the table 3ft. x 6ft, and designed something similar to the build pro welding tables.

It wasn't a very proiductive weekend but we atleast got them down there for some inpiration. Hoping to get the wiring started by this coming weekend and finished by the following weekend. Gotta get everything done for the spring thawe.

Back
Top Bottom