First ever cafe build progress report

Radiantz makes these lights in different lengths. I haven't quite sorted them out yet (can't get the tail light to come on - brake light works, though) but hope to this weekend. My license plate bracket is, I hope, just above where the shocks bottom out. There is some room for increased angle, but at a point where it might be contentious with Johnny Law. I'm not a fan of plates mounted down by the rear sprocket, so I went with a traditional mount.

it looks like the plate is gonna eat shit, just looking at the pictures
best to pull off one shock,set the one on the bike on soft and ratchet strap that thing down to the bumper,hard (ratchet strap on the shock side)
it would be a shame to wreck shit 'cause you didn't verify.....and
no amount of bouncing up and down on the seat will mimic what happens when you hit a bump HARD at speed

Well, part of a build thread is to document ones trials and tribulations. Last week, I was tightening down my cam cover and stripped out two of the center bolt holes in the head. Doh!!! I knew I'd have to heli coil it but asked the forum anyway. Heli coil was the consensus. In the process of looking for a kit (Auto Zone, NAPA, etc) I found a new source for fasteners! Fuck off, Fastenal! Ha! But I digress. My fear was that I'd have to pull the engine in order to drill out the bolt holes - no small feat on a DOHC 750. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bosses are on the bearing caps! Popped out the caps, drilled them, heli coiled them. No stress, minimal amount of labor. Bonus! I did however find the cam chain guide cracked. WTF?!

Attachments

• Recoil kit.jpg
    Recoil kit.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 986
  • helicoil bearing caps.jpg
    helicoil bearing caps.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 988
  • cam chain guide.jpg
    cam chain guide.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 984
Good news is it's the top guide... easy fix. Interesting how it cracked though, looks like it was torqued down on the ends. :eek:

What a bitch that was! Got everything buttoned up and the DOHC roared to life! Now to upholster some kind of seat and polish up the aluminum that got all dull and nasty during the repair process. I did get to ride it around the hood. All the H-D foos be starin' Ha!

All that is left is upholstery and tweaking of the carbs. I apologize for the overexposed pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7787.JPG
    IMG_7787.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_7786.JPG
    IMG_7786.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_7788.JPG
    IMG_7788.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_7780.JPG
    IMG_7780.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 784
It's been a long journey!

Attachments

• IMG_7781.JPG
    IMG_7781.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_7790.JPG
    IMG_7790.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_7785.JPG
    IMG_7785.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_7791.JPG
    IMG_7791.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 355
Biker reject,

Glad you're finally (almost) finished! Your awesome bike has been a big inspiration and its looking great as ever!

I've already stolen your taillight idea but it makes me ponder tank dents as well..... hahhaha

As you can see, I did have to reposition my rear sets. They are now very close to the stock location! The difference between the two locations is very noticeable. It's now quite comfortable even without the seat pad and handling feels very light/responsive.

I'm really diggin what you've done man, very nice!!

Can I ask (if I've missed it), what is the technical name for the color of Grey on your tank? Totally dig it!

Thanks! Since this took me so long to complete, I was able to change this and that until the bike was just right. My vision was to build a nice solid cafe style bike without too many one of a kind parts or so called bling, good proportions and stance, and still have it be a head turner. I think I got pretty close.

ya done real good it looks great you kept the airbox and have the footpegs located correctly you didn't go crazy silly with fat tires gotta love most everything about this bike
however you have really upset the balance of the bike,the way the rear is raised and the front is dropped
a steering damper and/or extreme caution should be used especially on off throttle coming down from speed ,speed wobbles, look for them in your future and they aint any fun, in fact they can kill you
i can't imagine how nervous feeling it is at speed
there is really zero reason to have the thing messed up like that 'cept it looks cool in pitchurs

Back
Top Bottom