CB 360 no label parts build!

It's possible but depends how much you want to spend on them (time and money) You'll probably have to put up with some flat spots. I haven't spent enough time on VM's in ther last 15~20 yrs to remember what to do. I made new emulsion tubes for the set on my XS 650. The ones on that are using round head Mikuni jets (as I have a lot of them in different sizes) rather than the long hex head you have in stock VM's. Unfortunately I don't have capabilities to make emulsion tubes at present. I've just finished modifying a set of CB350 carbs for someone who couldn't get VM's to work well enough for his customer to be able to ride (spent probably 6 months or more 'tinkering' with them) I think customer is expecting a 45+ yr old modified motorcycle to run like a new fuel injected model? It ain't ever going to happen but modified stock will 'cure' most of the hesitation and flat spots. I've been modifying stock 360 carbs for a long time so know what to do to make them work with K&N's Imay eventually do the same for VM 30's as I swapped a set of modified stock for a pair several years ago (they are still 'on the shelf' untouched though ;D )

crazypj said:
It's possible but depends how much you want to spend on them (time and money) You'll probably have to put up with some flat spots. I haven't spent enough time on VM's in ther last 15~20 yrs to remember what to do. I made new emulsion tubes for the set on my XS 650. The ones on that are using round head Mikuni jets (as I have a lot of them in different sizes) rather than the long hex head you have in stock VM's. Unfortunately I don't have capabilities to make emulsion tubes at present. I've just finished modifying a set of CB350 carbs for someone who couldn't get VM's to work well enough for his customer to be able to ride (spent probably 6 months or more 'tinkering' with them) I think customer is expecting a 45+ yr old modified motorcycle to run like a new fuel injected model? It ain't ever going to happen but modified stock will 'cure' most of the hesitation and flat spots. I've been modifying stock 360 carbs for a long time so know what to do to make them work with K&N's Imay eventually do the same for VM 30's as I swapped a set of modified stock for a pair several years ago (they are still 'on the shelf' untouched though ;D )
That is so impressive. Carbs are so frustrating and sometimes...rarely rewarding to me. I have a buddy with a set of stock carbs I might try out on it and see if they work better. Is there a place to send carbs for a hardcore deep clean? If I went to stock I’d like to have them gone over by someone who knows more than me. I really want a bike I can take down the coast. So dependability is priority to me. I know it’s an old bike but I believe it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Stayrad said:
That is so impressive. Carbs are so frustrating and sometimes...rarely rewarding to me. I have a buddy with a set of stock carbs I might try out on it and see if they work better. Is there a place to send carbs for a hardcore deep clean? If I went to stock I’d like to have them gone over by someone who knows more than me. I really want a bike I can take down the coast. So dependability is priority to me. I know it’s an old bike but I believe it can be done.

if dependability is key, stock carbs are the way to go, and stock airbox will give you great power and dependability.

Because this is a parts build I might be too far gone for a stock air box .... but you are convincing me. ... the vain/design side of me loves the clean space no air box provides.

So my buddy brought his by .... just quickly put some fuel in them and hooked them up no cable no air filter.

It started right up with choke but idle was all over the place. Interesting though that it revved higher than the mikunis which tells me it’s not the advancer or the ignition.

So I’ll probably order a rebuild kit tomorrow and see if I can get them to work.

This bike has me feeling a little bipolar. I’ve gone in so many directions.

I think I’m officially gonna name the bike “the tease” cause that’s what it’s doing to me.

MiniatureNinja said:
if dependability is key, stock carbs are the way to go, and stock airbox will give you great power and dependability.
Hey miniature ninja I just realized I’m following your build on instagram. I think we’re kind of neighbors. I’m in Cameron park. When this bike is done we should ride up to Tahoe for some brews. I’ve got two guys I ride with. One on a cb750 and the other on a gs1000. I hope to ride this soon but also have a 2005 cbr 1000.

We are in no way pro but def have a good time tinkering and riding. I usually buy sell flip cars as a side hustle. Obviously carburetors are not my strong suit

FWIW, I tried VM30 and VM28 on my 378 and still went back to a stock set modified by PJ. LOL

irk miller said:
FWIW, I tried VM30 and VM28 on my 378 and still went back to a stock set modified by PJ. LOL
Good to know is this a business of pj’s or a friend deal because I’m interested if it’s a business.

Stayrad said:
Good to know is this a business of pj’s or a friend deal because I’m interested if it’s a business.

I believe PJ still does it as a business, top notch work... I know a few guys running his carbs on here can attest to his work. However, I can't stress enough how much better a CB runs with the stock carbs and a stock airbox. The ditching the airbox fad for some PODs is luckily fading. Most people lack the patience and know how to make a bike run well with no airbox. Remember, Honda spent tons of money designing the bike to perform well but also be reliable and a stock airbox flows better assuming you have a decent filter and your runners and rubber are in good condition without any leaks or cracks.

The bikes on Pipeburn and Bike Exif with minimal clutter/pods typically never run as well as they look. I can't tell you how many times I have jumped on a fresh cafe build or brat that just had endless tuning issues due to air delivery problems.

Personally, I think the side covers look a million times better anyway

dakine_surf said:
I believe PJ still does it as a business, top notch work... I know a few guys running his carbs on here can attest to his work. However, I can't stress enough how much better a CB runs with the stock carbs and a stock airbox. The ditching the airbox fad for some PODs is luckily fading. Most people lack the patience and know how to make a bike run well with no airbox. Remember, Honda spent tons of money designing the bike to perform well but also be reliable and a stock airbox flows better assuming you have a decent filter and your runners and rubber are in good condition without any leaks or cracks.

The bikes on Pipeburn and Bike Exif with minimal clutter/pods typically never run as well as they look. I can't tell you how many times I have jumped on a fresh cafe build or brat that just had endless tuning issues due to air delivery problems.

Personally, I think the side covers look a million times better anyway
I can dig the side cover look as well. This one is just so far on its way to not have them. It would involve hunting down covers with no cracks and welding on tabs for them. I hear you and believe you.... just might have to wait until the next build.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 275

So the local shop had a 230 main jet. I popped it in just to see. This is 60 above what I was running. Haha. The problem still existed. Stalls at exactly the same spot. When I say stall I don’t mean a small hiccup. I mean stalls out in an unrideable manner. I ordered a rebuild kit for the stock carbs. While I wait I’m gonna swap spark advancers with one that I ordered last week when I thought that could be the issue. I don’t have high hopes but gonna try it anyway.

Stayrad said:
Hey miniature ninja I just realized I’m following your build on instagram. I think we’re kind of neighbors. I’m in Cameron park. When this bike is done we should ride up to Tahoe for some brews. I’ve got two guys I ride with. One on a cb750 and the other on a gs1000. I hope to ride this soon but also have a 2005 cbr 1000.

We are in no way pro but def have a good time tinkering and riding. I usually buy sell flip cars as a side hustle. Obviously carburetors are not my strong suit

hey that's rad! we should def do some riding, Mine should be done next weekend (x fingers) I have a friend that I ride with too, airhead guy, I hate the bmws but he's a fan. Hard to find riding buddies into the vintage stuff... don't wanna get "left" on a ride with these new sportbikes. HAHA

MiniatureNinja said:
hey that's rad! we should def do some riding, Mine should be done next weekend (x fingers) I have a friend that I ride with too, airhead guy, I hate the bmws but he's a fan. Hard to find riding buddies into the vintage stuff... don't wanna get "left" on a ride with these new sportbikes. HAHA
Sweet. We gotta make that happen hopefully I’m closing in on getting this thing running. Then I am good for some rides. After putting in that massive jet last night with no change (good or bad) I’m shifting my focus to the spark advancer and switching back to points.

Stayrad said:
Good to know
emoji106.png
is this a business of pj’s or a friend deal because I’m interested if it’s a business.

Really it's a hobby to keep 360's on the road and make them more reliable.
It's also pretty much much my only income to buy stuff for bikes and other hobbies
If you want stock carbs done, send me a PM

Talking to my friend tonight about making a custom fork brace. He’s gonna make me one at his cnc shop at his cost which is pretty much nothing. Score!

Today was a good day. I bought another spark advancer and put it in today. With this advancer I was able to use the original Charlie’s place rotor and boom it ran great. Accelerated well. Obviously will need to dial in the carbs but it is pulling through the RPMs as expected. Tomorrow is gonna be a good day. I still think I’m gonna send the original carbs to pj and let him work his magic. Gotta raise the bars, get a new throttle body, choose the right jets and this baby is ready for a ride through wine country.

Sonreir said:
Following along.
Glad to have you

So this was the source of my troubles. When adjusting the timing everything seemed to be operating right. The only difference between the working and non working one was when I rotated the engine for timing the light would go off a little later on the non working. It would shut off just a few degrees before the timing mark then come back on

On the working one the light goes off about 90 degrees before timing mark.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 266
This might be common knowledge but I’ll say it because it’s news to me.

The 360 has 3 different spark advancers our there. Two of which are extremely similar in appearance but 180 degrees different.

The one I had was stamped 369. Charlie’s place instructs to put the magnet facing the arrow. The default rotor that Charlie’s place sends you is not for the 369 type. Contacted them and the sent me one for my rotor for free.

Then I did everything as instructed only to find out that an extremely small percentage of these 369s were stamped with the arrow on the opposite side.

So I rotated it 180 degrees. It idles perfect but wouldn’t rev well. Sent me on a chase through carbs and made me question my manhood and ability to tune a bike.

Now I am pretty sure that if you have an advancer with the reverse stamp it will not work with the Charlie’s place ignition unless he has a 3rd rotor that I don’t know about.

All to say I ordered another advancer from eBay. Put the first rotor in and everything works.

Stayrad said:
This might be common knowledge but I’ll say it because it’s news to me.

The 360 has 3 different spark advancers our there. Two of which are extremely similar in appearance but 180 degrees different.

The one I had was stamped 369. Charlie’s place instructs to put the magnet facing the arrow. The default rotor that Charlie’s place sends you is not for the 369 type. Contacted them and the sent me one for my rotor for free.

Then I did everything as instructed only to find out that an extremely small percentage of these 369s were stamped with the arrow on the opposite side.

So I rotated it 180 degrees. It idles perfect but wouldn’t rev well. Sent me on a chase through carbs and made me question my manhood and ability to tune a bike.

Now I am pretty sure that if you have an advancer with the reverse stamp it will not work with the Charlie’s place ignition unless he has a 3rd rotor that I don’t know about.

All to say I ordered another advancer from eBay. Put the first rotor in and everything works.

Great information , I was aware there were two different advances but I thought they were identical other than appearance. I'm considering the pamco unit with a digital advance but cant give up the reliability of points.

Hope to ride with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom