Engine rebuild quote UPDATE

CaferacerMO said:
Valves are within spec, anymore little things I should do before I move on to electrical?
ok , you can put a wire from your positive battery post yo the positive side of your coli and see if it has spark . . I don't know if this will work if you have cdi.

The positive side of the coil has the wire going to the points correct?
Still no spark.
And for some reason (if that's the positive) it's sparking back at me whenever I touch the positive line from the battery to it.

CaferacerMO said:
The positive side of the coil has the wire going to the points correct?
Still no spark.
And for some reason (if that's the positive) it's sparking back at me whenever I touch the positive line from the battery to it.

No, the battery goes to the pos side of the coil . . the neg side goes to the points.

Make sure the points open and close and that there is continuity between the two contacts when they are closed . . make sure they are also clean and not heavily pitted.

I can't recall... did we already check to see if there is power at the positive side of the coils?

How do I check for that?

Points gap is good, they are opening and closing, and I believe they are set up right.

A multimeter or test light. I prefer the meter. You should have a bit over 12V at the wire going into the coils. Measure between the wire and ground.

Sonreir said:
A multimeter or test light. I prefer the meter. You should have a bit over 12V at the wire going into the coils. Measure between the wire and ground.

I hit it with a meter and I do have power to the coil.

Easy test is to remove the (-) lead (the one that goes to the points/condenser) on the coil and install a temporary wire. Energize the coil and complete the circuit by connecting the (-) wire to ground. When you quickly remove the wire from ground you should get a crappy spark (at the plug!). If you don't, the coil is bad. If you do, there is a wiring issue between there and the points, or a points/condenser issue.

okay guys so I was able to fix the spark issue.
the wire going to the points was grounding itself.
So after that I put the tank and carb back on, and tried to fire her up, but then I couldn't get it to fire so I took the tank and back off and realized after testing for spark, I didn't have spark anymore. I called it a night and went inside..
Now I came back and tested for spark after not touching it at all since last night whenever it didn't have spark, and it has spark.. so I threw the tank back on, and tested one last time. Spark. Cool beans! So I kicked her over and kicked her over and it wouldn't fire. So I tested for spark and its gone again. What gives?

If it's anything like my XL, it has a loose wire that likes to cut power at random intersections or within a mile from the end of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom