Engine rebuild quote UPDATE

Re: Engine rebuild quote

barnett468 said:
if you plan to keep the bike, have the cylinder professionally measured . . you most likely need a rebore.

if you plan to sell it and there is no ridge on the top of the cylinder then just use a bottle brush hone or 3 blade hone on it to get the proper cross hatch.

you can see if the valves are leaking by spraying carb cleaner in one port at a time then looking at the valve to see if it is leaking or weeping . . ideally there should be nothing.

If you sell the bike, and don't disclose that there may need to be internal engine work soon... You're kind of a dick. Just sayin...

VonYinzer said:
If you sell the bike, and don't disclose that there may need to be internal engine work soon... You're kind of a dick. Just sayin...

my comment was meant that if he did not want to put the money into boring the top end if he was going to sell it then if the bore still useable he can certainly just re-ring it . . happens all the time . . nothing wrong with that at all because its far better than selling a bike with old worn out rings.

plus, if someone is naive enough to believe that a used, 40 year old motorcycle, isn't going to need work, then they better buy something else.

CaferacerMO said:
Could I bore the cylinder head .50mm to compensate?
Let's get the terms correct before we start tearing shit apart eh? The cylinder head is not what you have bored.

If you don't think having your technical terms correct is important then I don't recommend doing the engine work yourself.

Well, decided to just go for it and do it myself. I know I'll regret it but hey, it's worth the knowledge.
I can't seem to figure out how to remove the timing advancer though. Is it supposed to pull right out or?

ok, NASA...we have a problem.

your advance has decided to join your camshaft in unholy wedlock . . they are rusted togerther . . there are a few options for this . . here's just a couple.

buy 2 cans of compressed air or dust off from a computer store or hardware store.

sand the inside of the housing on the sides then clean it with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.

stick around 1" wide tape to the inside so it sticks out the cover slightly.

turn the air upside down and spray the advance all around for around 20 seconds.

wait 5 minutes then tap around the shaft of the advance with a plastic hammer with mild to moderate force.

spray it again.

wait 5 minutes and tap it again.

wrap the shaft with masking tape then grab it with vise grips that have very sharp teeth using a moderate clamping force . . too much force will clamp it to the cam.

gently use a long screw driver between the vise grips and the threaded holes in the head and try to pry it off.

OPTION 2

if it does not come off, lay the bike on its side and put some kroil oil or a mix of 1/2 acetone and 1/2 automatic transmission fluid every 4 hours or so and try it again 24 hours later.

RUST REMOVAL

Drop all rusty parts into a bucket mixed with 1 lb of dry, pure oxalic acid and water . . this might be wood bleach or concrete driveway cleaner from home depot . . let them soak for 24 hours then inspect.

after they are clean, neutralize them in a gallon of water with 1/4 cup of baking soda for 1 minute.

I was afraid of that.
I'll get to work, thank you for all of the useful information and helpful knowledge!
Much appreciated sir.

CaferacerMO said:
I was afraid of that.
I'll get to work, thank you for all of the useful information and helpful knowledge!
Much appreciated sir.

no prob . . hopefully the rust is just on the very end of the shaft so it wont take much to remove . . you certainly could just try some wd40 between the parts and try to pry it off mow . . might get lucky.

Okay, so I have everything off and it's come time to remove the lower cylinder but it won't budge at all.
All of the screws to release it are off..

CaferacerMO said:
Okay, so I have everything off and it's come time to remove the lower cylinder but it won't budge at all.
All of the screws to release it are off..

ok, if the pistons do not move then they are rusted to the cylinder . . put 1/4" of kroil oil or the 50/50 mix and let it sit for a few hours . . if no go then let it sit 24 hours . . if no go then another 24 hours.

of the pistons move then the gasket is simply stuck . . carefully try to pry the cylinder up.

option b is put the oil in or wd40 . . let it sit for 15 minutes then put a short 2 x 2 stick on the top of the piston and whack it moderately hard with the bike in neutral.

It was running whenever I started tear down which is odd.
Now if I push on the kick start and locked up.

CaferacerMO said:
It was running whenever I started tear down which is odd.
Now if I push on the kick start and locked up.

that bike was not running with that advance unit like that.

the chain mighty be stuck on the gear . . lift the chain up and try to rotate engine

I promise it was man.
3500 miles on her.
Rode it all last summer as my first bike and then it slowly went to poop..

Lifted the chain out.
Still stuck..
It was turning over 20 minutes ago which is weird.

CaferacerMO said:
I promise it was man.
3500 miles on her.
Rode it all last summer as my first bike and then it slowly went to poop..
so the advance was rusty and one end of the springs were off and it was running?

if the bike was kept in a dry place after you parked it then the base gasket is stuck . . sometimes you need a 3 foot bar to pry the cylinders off . . its a bit dodgy to do.

if you have a narrow plaster/putty knife you can sharpen one side then beat it in between the cylinder and the case in several areas then pry it off.

you will not let it beat you . . now get off the computer and go beat the crap out of it . . i will be here waiting for the results, lol.

CaferacerMO said:
Built it this winter.
Didn't realize the engine problems until now.

wow, a kawasaki . . a real bike . . thats cool . . of course it was still running in that case . . nothing can kill a kawi.

the pipe looks loud, lol.

Always garage kept..
I've taken good care of it while I've had it.
I'm not sure if the PO can say the same though..

I got the cylinder to free.
Turns out I still had the chain caught on something.
Good call.

I love it..
I've worked on it more than I've rode though, no point in tearing it down and rebuilding from the frame up if you don't ride!

CaferacerMO said:
Always garage kept..
I've taken good care of it while I've had it.
I'm not sure if the PO can say the same though..

I got the cylinder to free.
Turns out I still had the chain caught on something.
Good call.

I love it..
no point in tearing it down and rebuilding from the frame up if you don't ride!

lol yup.

post photos

Back
Top Bottom