Full face or open face?

Wondering what everyone uses for helmets?

• Full Face

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • Open Face

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hurco550 said:
If I remember right, in Ohio you have to wear eye protection regardless of wind screen or not
From the list of Ohio motorcycle laws...

"Eye Protection:
Required by law unless equipped with windscreen;ORC 4511.53 (b)"

However did not realize Ohio was a no helmet state. Only riders with 'novice' restrictions and under 18, plus passengers, are required to wear a helmet.

Interesting, I stand corrected. Either way, I'm wearing eye protection =)

$600 fine in Florida.

Friend of mine got pegged riding home from buying a bike without eye protection.

One of the few things that many officers see. In states where it is required, much more likely to get pulled over with no eye protection than with no plates. I'm going to assume it is because of the amount of crashes they see.

A bug in the eye could equal a bad crash real quick. I've had a few bug impacts on my forehead that drew blood, thinking that could probably take an eye out.

One of my first memories of motorcycling was riding on the back of my step dads 550gpz [nasty lil bitch :D] at 100mph and a bumblebee hitting his shoulder, stinger first. It took some home style surgery to get the stinger out. Imagine if it hit his eye!

I hit the pavement on October 6th. The driver of a 4d Altima made a left in front of me, I slammed his back door/frame/rear quarter panel and it flung me forward over the bike. I failed to land on my feet and instead finished my full front flip on my hip, coupled over and hit my face as well. Without my helmet I could have fucked up my face entirely (beyond its already poor condition...) or worse, I could have died. Concussion symptoms have had me all sorts of messed up since.

Heal up quick and fully, Drey! I wear a modular on the GW. I have fulls, but for long rides on the couch-rocket I can take a sip or leave it on while fueling, pitstops. My 3/4 with mirrored shield is actually quieter behind the fairing, but is worn less than 1% of the time. HJC-shaped head, so that's what I wear.

Sorry to hear that Drey. Concussions sucks. I dumped my CBR954RR at 65mph when a car swung wide in to my lane in a turn, had a grade 3 concussion. Was out cold for a bit, and my equilibrium was out of whack for a bit.

Concussions suck, hard.

I hope you get back on and ride soon Drey 8)

I am with the mindset that likes the wind. I wear FF in weather or riding sport (haven't in a long while) and wear a bucket cruising or hot long haul, If I'm in a state that is still somewhat free, I don't pull off at the state line finger the state behind be and strap my bucket to the seat, but if I do stop for some reason and the day looks good for wind through my awesome silver hair... That's my goddamn business right.
:eek:

I normally ride with a Bell 500.
Have a cheap full face to use if I am taking a longer trip.
If not required by law, I don't have a helmet on.

Drey6 said:
I hit the pavement on October 6th. The driver of a 4d Altima made a left in front of me, I slammed his back door/frame/rear quarter panel and it flung me forward over the bike. I failed to land on my feet and instead finished my full front flip on my hip, coupled over and hit my face as well. Without my helmet I could have fucked up my face entirely (beyond its already poor condition...) or worse, I could have died. Concussion symptoms have had me all sorts of messed up since.
Glad you are still with us Drey, here's to a full recovery!!

Ichiban Moto said:
could somebody send me an old helmet(s) for me to throw some bad ass mods at?

Just last Friday I was in a second-hand store and saw a scratched up Icon full-face. I politely told them they shouldn't sell helmets in that condition, explaining the reasons, they said they didn't realize and would get rid of it. Had I known you were looking I would have gotten it for you.

J-Rod10 said:
Sorry to hear that Drey. Concussions sucks. I dumped my CBR954RR at 65mph when a car swung wide in to my lane in a turn, had a grade 3 concussion. Was out cold for a bit, and my equilibrium was out of whack for a bit.

Concussions suck, hard.

Ah that 954! Sorry to hear what you've gone through, sounds a bit more intense then what I've been dealing with. Just gotta keep on pushin through! Worst part was what bike I was on.

My baby :(
6d1a0d9a6a7aed43bbe94b48d275637f.jpg

Only rode that day because I was working on my girlfriends car. She was driving mine and I took advantage of having the 3rd running vehicle. Luckily it wasn't totaled out since the adjuster took my word into consideration. I got a check cut for $1500 when I only paid $1600 originally. Should be able to fix it for $800.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I hope you get back on and ride soon Drey 8)
DohcBikes said:
Glad you are still with us Drey, here's to a full recovery!!
pidjones said:
Heal up quick and fully, Drey!

Thanks gents! I will note that without my girlfriend, I would still be in a stress crazed state. She has helped me immensely post-accident, thank God for good women.

Ichiban Moto said:
could somebody send me an old helmet(s) for me to throw some bad ass mods at?

I have an old 1996 agv helmet with the liner worn all the way out and a scratched up visor. Think a vent thingy is cracked too. But the PO put a super bad ass ducati sticker on the chin area. If this interests you it's yours.

Pudding basin and flying goggles for me whenever I get on the old bike. Nothing like flies in your teeth after a ride out in the English countryside.

Road bike helmets a full face AGV, Enduro is a full face Acerbis....soon to be replaced with a Bell

It's completely personal choice in the U.S. states where not legally required, but it is compulsory in UK and has been sin the early 70's AFAIK.
The idea of not wearing a helmet on a motorbike is alien to me, in general I wouldn't ride my bicycle without one either, but that's less about personal safety concern and more to set an example to my kids

When I lived in U.S., my friend used to commute from Crown Point IN, to Joliet IL and took his Harley once a week or so in the summer, he never wore a helmet, he was very bullish about it being better to 'check all the way out' if you had a crash. Then he got married, then they got pregnant then he sold the Harley, he never bothered with the in between step of buying a helmet!

Alex jb said:
I wouldn't ride my bicycle without one either, but that's less about personal safety concern and more to set an example to my kids
A very good friend suffers from significant and frequent seizures because of the time he was hit by a car going through an intersection on his bicycle in San Diego. He was in his early twenties then. Now, he's so medicated that he has an alarm go off every ten minutes to remind him where he's at and what he's doing. Bicycle or motorcycle, no helmet is no joke.

Helmets can limit visibility which can and does cause accidents, and in accidents chin straps have been known to cut throats. Wearing a helmet carries risks as well.

Back
Top Bottom