Honda expert

grunt

I desperately need to talk to a Honda CB/CL 350/450 expert, l just aquired cb 450 and cl 350 barn finds, l need to know if exhaust systems, etc. are interchangeable, the cl has a title, but l want to use the cl pipes....

Sent from my SM-G930P using DO THE TON mobile app

there is not very much at all interchangeable,the sparkplugs probably swap ok and the gearshift lever

There's a guy with the same combo of bikes looking for a CB450 front end. Maybe part out the 450 and rebuild the 350. Unless the 450 is a black tank with chrome panels......

Pics please.

teazer said:
There's a guy with the same combo of bikes looking for a CB450 front end. Maybe part out the 450 and rebuild the 350. Unless the 450 is a black tank with chrome panels......

Pics please.
The 450 has a title, unless someone can give me some guidance on how to get a title l am gonna have to stick with the 450, l would rather build the cl 350

Sent from my SM-G930P using DO THE TON mobile app

Attachments

• 1473094918967.jpg
    1473094918967.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 1473094968722.jpg
    1473094968722.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 195
Do not be put off by the lack of title - there are a couple of perfectly legal ways to replace it, including registering the motorcycle in Vermont, and it's not that costly.

They both look very rusty, but that isn't necessarily the end of the line. Do the motors turn over or are they rusted solid? Do they both have oil? I would start by giving them both a good clean and try to assess the damage.

A title is more of an inconvenience than a job stopper. That can be take care of legally as long as the bike was never reported as stolen.

Your preference is to build the CL350, so I would follow that thought. Don't build something you aren't passionate about. Life is too short. For me the plan would be simple: a couple of boxes of SOS pads to clean up the chrome and lots of warm soapy water to wash off the years of dust and other crud. Then put the 450 up for sale with an accurate description and start working up a budget for the 350 starting with consumables like tires, cables, chain etc and then assess the motor condition.

Getting rusty old bikes to look like new always costs a lot more than we want to believe, but if you have teh time and desire to make it run, try to resist the temptation to "make it your own" and focus on getting it running well first so you can ride it.

if those have sat damp for as long as it looks like, then mother rust has been working inside the engines
they will have to come apart

Back
Top Bottom