Chrome rust removal using electrolysis?

Weldin810

My questions are about using electrolysis specifically, not the general rust removal using other processes/products.

I'm quite fluent in auto body repair & have experience using electrolysis for restoration. I understand how electrolysis works but have yet to experiment with its use on chrome covered steel.

I will find, eventually some scrap chrome parts to try this with but i'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with this.

My concerns are: The process could take off, loosen, get underneath, or "attack" the chrome, the electrolyte solution full of rust & contaminates could discolor or dull the chrome, this rust removal process could affect the chrome because some chrome is electrically applied.

Some options i have in mind:
(ex. underside of fender) I could plastic tape/cote in wax/etc the top of the fender & only position the cathode on the underside.
A sponge soaked in an electrolyte can be placed on the part where rust is to be removed if it is undesirable to submerge the entire part.

I have decided not to attempt this at the moment & will use the unfortunately more obtrusive elbow grease & abrasives to remove the rust. I use electrolysis not because it saves me manual labor but because it will not remove non oxidized metal like abrasives or chemicals do. (this might seem to answer my original question, however it doesn't because this process removes/loosens/breaks the bond of paint & other coatings)

I understand that the severity of the corrosion could/would make a difference but if the corrosion/oxidation is bad enough i wouldn't care if it removed the remaining chrome or discolored it. I'm looking at removing rust from a part that may be rusted on one portion but the other portion is not corroded at all (fender - bottom rusted, top none) or chrome that is speckled with rust.

A google search shows lots of opinions & speculations & these are welcome but im looking for people who can make educated replies or experience with this process. If i remember, once i get to test out this process, i will post my results. I will first need to acquire a variety of chromed items/parts....

Re: Chrome rust removal using electrolysis? - Update

UPDATE - I decided in theory that this process should not hurt the chrome - instead of testing it on scrap i took a gamble & i went right for it and cooked my fenders, it worked just as i thought it would. Ill post photos on my bike thread.

Back
Top Bottom