First Project : Yamaha XS1100

BluesHeathen said:
This one looks pretty cool. i wonder where the seat came from.

I asked that question myself.
The seat I actually made myself. I fab'd the pan of wood and had a pro do the foam and leather for it. I sealed the bottom so moisture won't be an issue.

Here's another:
want.jpg

Next week it is going into the shop for front brake issues , once that is corrected the i will get it check out for and other possible mechanical issues, then begin with everything else. i might strip the paint off the tank, i like the steel look, then seat , then possible powercoating.

The front calipers are sticking, I bleed the brakes several times, thinking it was simply the brakes where sticking, took off the calipers to it was the pads, turns out I need to . rebuild the calipers.

when the brakes stick do they release if you open the bleeder? or are they still stuck after that

Likely, the spooge hole is plugged.
20020902-frtmc1.jpg

You'll have to remove the plastic reservoir from the master cylinder. This hole is underneath. If it's clogged, the brakes don't release fully.

You might want to join the forum at XS11.com. With them, you won't need a mechanic. Just don't tell them you're building a cafe racer. ;)

if they stick even after the brake has had the bleeder open then it is not the master cylinder

it is the caliper you will have to clean the piston in the caliper and the sliders if your caliper has them

my bike had those weird angled calipers they were awful

I checked the master , it is working properly, no clogs. Even banged it with a mallet to see if it would loosen up. 11 xs site is closed for new membership.

hey guys i sent topcat the xs1100 admin

a email for you so lets see what he has to say

So bike is almost completely stripped.
I will start carbs rebuild Thursday.
As I will mount some low restriction air filter do I have to fit absolutely a dynojet kit?

Pictures will follow soon

The French Dude said:
As I will mount some low restriction air filter do I have to fit absolutely a dynojet kit?

No. The airbox makes tuning easiest, but it's best to start with stock jetting and see what you have when you get it together. Yamaha didn't leave much on the table with this bike. Deviation from the stock airbox and exhaust will likely not gain any HP for you. You might even lose. I understand that sometimes aesthetics rule and that box is pretty big.

Lol i tried signing up xs1100 a few times i figure if the president of the USA gets an 1100 he will have a hard time too...im still not signed up...

Back
Top Bottom