XR400 Cafe Inspired Project

I agree that the straight lines of the black cardboard over sketch that you just posted are much the more aesthetic choice. It seems more gracile, almost airy, quite beautiful. Your exceptional fabrication skills will make any version you choose look good though.

I believe that by changing that one line you transformed the look from a sport bike inspired look to more of cafe look. It's amazing how such a simple change can make so much difference.

Couldn't agree more.

Removing this little bit off the bottom not only gives it a "lighter feel", it changes the entire look.

Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on this sucker in the past few days. The little bit of time I did find was spent refining the tail section a little further. Starting to get the shape Im looking for.

Now that I have the basic shape I want for the tail, I need to attach this...

To this...

After I tack it up and planish the tacks, I can start fully welding it.

Once I have it fully welded, I dress the welds a bit then cut it right down the middle. I do this in order to fully planish the welds and work the surrounding metal.

Once the welds are dressed and planished, I can wheel it to further blend the pieces. A little more metalfinishing, and done.

This is a good shot of one half just welded, and the other about 90% metalfinished.

awesome work and fabrication my only issue is it looks/is quite flexy and weak up at the steering neck, are you planning on riding it ? i guess you are planning side gusset plates up there?

xb33bsa said:
awesome work and fabrication my only issue is it looks/is quite flexy and weak up at the steering neck, are you planning on riding it ? i guess you are planning side gusset plates up there?

Thanks XB.
Yes, most of our single downtube frames are simply gusseted at the steering head. Im actually boxing the front triangle on this one to further stiffen it. Plates are cut. Just haven't put em in yet. As well as a couple other critical points of tube triangulation on the frame elsewhere. Fear not.

Finally made some time to put in on the tail.

I left off having cut the tail in half to allow for me to planish and wheel the welds on the sides. I had one side pretty well complete, and the other just welded.

So, heres after the first filing to "block" it. You can see in this pic, the darker spots, those are the low spots that need to be raised.

After a little more refinement, we are a little closer.

I gave it a little more love before positioning it to give her some tacks.

Once its all tacked, I dress and planish each one, and clean it in preparation to sew it up for good.

Beautiful! Like a human 3D printer; complex shapes by hand. I couldn't even draw that shape let alone realize it in steel. Nice

RR100 said:
Beautiful! Like a human 3D printer; complex shapes by hand. I couldn't even draw that shape let alone realize it in steel. Nice

Haha. THank you. But don't feel bad, I couldn't draw it well either.

Thanks Paul.

Now that the tail is pretty well shaped, I can start putting the structure in it, fine-tune the lines, and put a seat pan on. This will allow me to get a feel for where I want the controls. Im thinking, just by the looks of it, mid-to-rear.

First test fit

This thing is just to cool. All the progress your making makes me feel like crap about the little I get done on my bike haha. Amazing work. Maybe I missed it but are you planning on paint or leaving it just brushed aluminum?

Beautiful custom Honda single,I've always loved all the strong Honda small singles too. 8) I'm installing a modded XR200R motor in my 81' CB125S w/ Rebel 250 front end presently.
I'm subscribed ;)

hurco550 said:
This thing is just to cool. All the progress your making makes me feel like crap about the little I get done on my bike haha. Amazing work. Maybe I missed it but are you planning on paint or leaving it just brushed aluminum?

Thanks man. I honestly haven't decided on the paint scheme yet, but I will definitely paint it. Most likely in the red/ white/ black family. Some of the suspension and other alum parts will be anodized bronze.

Back
Top Bottom