CX500 "Bastardwing" - 24th June - It caught fire!!

Re: CX500 project "The Bastard Tourer" (Pic heavy)

The black and white ought to really look nice. If you've got a second CX tank, I'd slice the two together, raise the top surface say...2-3", not only would you have more fuel capacity but would carry forth the Teutonic look just a bit further. Fun bike.

Swagger said:
The black and white ought to really look nice. If you've got a second CX tank, I'd slice the two together, raise the top surface say...2-3", not only would you have more fuel capacity but would carry forth the Teutonic look just a bit further. Fun bike.
I've seen that done on the CX tank before and it looks quite good. It can be top heavy though and a 200+km range isn't too bad really for my purposes. Plus i get the feeling the seat i have in mind might be a little less comfy than the stock job so the 200km rest stops might be needed :D
I picked up a couple of bags today that i was going to use as panniers. I'm a bit undecided. Maybe if i drag em behind a car for a few miles and give em a bucket of bleach in the washing machine they might come up alright. Opinions are welcome.
DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

Staffy said:
I've seen that done on the CX tank before and it looks quite good. It can be top heavy though and a 200+km range isn't too bad really for my purposes. Plus i get the feeling the seat i have in mind might be a little less comfy than the stock job so the 200km rest stops might be needed :D
I picked up a couple of bags today that i was going to use as panniers. I'm a bit undecided. Maybe if i drag em behind a car for a few miles and give em a bucket of bleach in the washing machine they might come up alright. Opinions are welcome.

i'm diggin the hard panniers more especially with that fairing. BUT if you were to find a pair of aged brown leather panniers (like a nicely aged/worn brown leather jacket), i think that would look really nice too.
Man i really wanna find one of those fairings now...even if it's not part of my plans at this point, it would be great to have it ready. Or if it was easy enough to bolt on and off, it would be nice to have for longer trips.

GoBears0305 said:
i'm diggin the hard panniers more especially with that fairing. BUT if you were to find a pair of aged brown leather panniers (like a nicely aged/worn brown leather jacket), i think that would look really nice too.

They would look great but i'm a vegan so i try not to use any animal based products. I've completely gone off the hard panniers for now as I want to be able to easily throw storage on the back and take it off whenever i like without having to muck around too much. The other issue is the panniers themselves are basically shit. They are flimsy and don't seal properly.

Well lucky me, i stripped a thread in the left head taking out a mounting bolt today. This means it needs to be helicoiled. This has prompted me to make the decision that i'm going to look into respraying the frame and start putting it back together from there. I want to get this bike right before i ride her again. I'll need to take it most of the way down anyway to do the steering bearings and cam chain, tensioner etc so why not do those last few bits? Anyway, if i do i need to decide on a colour for the frame. I could leave it black but i'm thinking red. Any other ideas bearing in mind the engine will be natural and the body work black? I suppose i'm asking for a vote which means nothing as i'll need to make the final decision anyway.

Turns out the guys at the australian cx forum have gotten behind this latest setback and the problem along with a few others will be sorted within a few weeks. I cannot stress how valuable that forum is as a resource to all cx owners from australia or overseas.
Relaxation with bog. You all know what i'm talking about, gently plying it in the gaps. I love this stuff, it always cheers me up.
DSCF1753.jpg

DSCF1752.jpg

Are you sure you need to helicoil the stripped hole? If it's not too bad, you may be able to run a thread chaser through and put the peaks back on the threads. On the other hand if it doesn't bug your anal retentive side too much, you could even tap it out to the next english size up and probably still get a bolt through the boot.

I did this a while back on a ratty bike with a stripped carb mounting hole. The stock size was 6mm, I tapped it to 1/4 20 and was good to go.

But then you said you want to do this bike right, so feel free to ignore the half of my ass I used to type this post.

Bondo makes you smile....that's awesome!

I think the frame and swinger in red with the black body works and the engine natural will look great!
I see at least two other CX frames in your shop.....more projects in the works or on the way?

There's a GL650 for sale cheap in town here, I DO NOT need another project but for $75 titled and running but mud hen ugly...I cna't pass it up. I'll be taking notes from your build!

Lookin nice staffy! This whole thing is going to be something completely different from what ya see everyday!
And swagger. I hate you man. $75.00???

I get some good deals, but never this good....thus my willingness to stuff bike number (mumble) into the storage unit.

DCWP, It'd be a tight fit getting it up another size as it's already close tolerance through the hole in the front section of the frame. The thread's well and truly had it also, there's not much left in there. I've never seen helicoiling done so i'm looking forward to seeing it too. I've been told it is quite stronger than the original thread so both sides will be getting don in the end.

Swagger, i'm starting to like the red frame idea but i've had it suggested that silver might be an option too. One of those frames came from a friends bike that used to carry the fairing. We had it here to make sure we were drilling the right place. The other one was part of a parts bike group buy that i organised for the aussie cx forum. It's been sitting here since so at some stage i may get stuck in and do something with it. I'd still like to do a cafe and a hardtail CX.

Thanks for the kind words Deviant. The whole thing is getting based around the fairing, the need to ride it every day, and pure functionality so i'm not even sure what the end result might be. I'm then gonna try and work some creativity into the gaps i suppose.

Hey if you are lacking the room to just tap the hole out larger than you cant helicoil. You have to drill the hole out quite a bit larger and then insert the heli coil. So if you are tight on tolerances then running the next size bigger tap is your only choice.

The tolerance problem is in the frame, not the threaded hole. The bolt goes through the frame then into the head. No problems with helicoiling the head but the engine will probably need to come out. I merely mean a larger bolt would not go through the frame hole. It seems this is a common thread breakage on the CX's and the helicoil is a good reliable fix for it.

Got to welding today and just as the sun went down i'd finished building the lower frame for the fairing.
This bracket came with the bike (there's a pair) which i thought were perfect for a frame to bolt to. This means that i won't need to keep unbolting that head bolt that holds the bracket in place and risk stripping it again.
DSCF1750.jpg

Some tubes and flats made up ready to go
DSCF1755.jpg

Test fit... perfect (yes i am that good)
DSCF1754.jpg

This is one of the downtubes ready to be marked out for welding to the bracket mounting plate....or whatever you wanna call it.
DSCF1756.jpg

All done.
DSCF1760.jpg

It's all ready for grinding, final finish and paint. The only extra addition i might make is another tie bar between the upper rails for three reasons 1) extra rigidity, which i don't really think it needs, 2) I can run some protective mesh between the top and bottom tie bars to keep large debris off the radiator and 3) a place to mount spotlights.

Still, now that's nearly done i can start taking the engine out. I had to finish this first as i needed the radiator mounts etc to mount it all.

Well the fairing is coming up nicely. Should be getting some primer on it soon. It turns out the lower bracket work i made was a little out. I'd test fitted along the whole way untill i put the cross brace in and it was a bit too long which resulted in them plates down the bottom not meeting up with the fairing. That'll be easy to sort out though... another day.
A wise man once said to me, "nothing is idiot proof". He said that when we weren't getting sound through a PA and he hadn't turned an amp on. *head palm*
Well tonight i got my can of expandable foam, laid down some aluminium foil and covered all over where the seat should be, not where the cowl needs to go. So there goes $15 worth of expandable foam.

Thirsty, a mate from the aussie CX forum came round earlier and went mad with some foam. Upon a bit of discussion the thought was to get the back half shaped, bog it or fill it with something so the foam doesn't react with the fibreglass resin then glass the whole thing, seat pan and all.
The thing is i wanted to retain the original seat rails and attachments so i can quickly take the seat off as needed, plas i'd have something to bolt the pannier racks to, but this will somewhat dictate the size of the cowl. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll end up a lot smaller than it is now. Most of the height will be there, but the width may not. The other thought is that the single landrover taillight might look a little out of place.
DSCF1771.jpg

Ok folks, some carving has been done. It has been shaped to allow fitment of the original seat quick release and frame rails. They just fit. It also needs to be semi-flat across the top as it'll have a removeable rack for a top bag over the top. Opinions welcome, i'll let the pictures do the talking.
DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

DSCF1776.jpg

DSCF1777.jpg

So what do you all think? Yes, no? I value the opinions of all here as a group census on this forum has often turned a bike from a near disaster to a beautiful work of art, so bring it!!

That seat's starting to take shape. Personally I'd make it a little narrower and bring the bottom line up above the shock mount. Of course you can handle the bottom line with trimming later, so you may just want to make it low for now and give yourself room to work with later.

One thing I forgot to account for when I did glass was the extra cm or two that was added to the final shape by laying foil to protect foam then doing the buildout itself. It isn't a huge increase, but it will make your final seat a little bigger than it appears.

I like that you're giving this seat similar lines to the tank. It adds continuity and keeps the seat from looking like every other bump stop. Still, I might round the top just a little more if it were me. On the other hand, if you narrow it down, the profile you have might be just right.

Keep up the great work!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom