Recipes

when I was on internship I had to come up with a daily amuse bouche ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuse-bouche ). This is one I would do often when my prep list was packed and I didnt have time to do anything too involved.

oldtown041.jpg

toasted brioche
smoked salmon
cucumber
capers
dill sourcream

not my creation, but my chefs creation.. but it came off my station so I prepped and executed it.

cafe045.jpg

Truffle salad-

haricot verts
mache, frisee
truffle vinaigrette
pesto mayo
pesto feta stuffed campari tomato, panko tempura breaded
reduced balsamic
shaved truffles
shiso

those are beautiful!

super neato that there's more than one chef on here ;D
whereabouts are you, boom?

this was my final practical for my baking and pastry term in culinary school.

bakedgoods007.jpg

as you can see I didnt exactly take baking and pastry super seriously (class started at 5:30am, and it was a 20-30 minute commute for me.. I was often still drunk, and if not I was working on very little sleep.) But luckily my chef had a sense of humor and I got an A for the final practical :-D

go! said:
those are beautiful!

super neato that there's more than one chef on here ;D
whereabouts are you, boom?

chicago, and I am by no means a chef. Dont want to step on any toes here, but going to culinary school, or working in a kitchen for a little bit (or even a long bit) does not make you a chef. It is a title that carries weight, and is earned.

Thanks for the kind words though :)

Ah that's true. Well, you're really good at making pretty little dishes that sound appetizing

go! said:
Ah that's true. Well, you're really good at making pretty little dishes that sound appetizing

ha :)

me and a friend are planning to do a sort of underground restaurant type thing in about a month. Ill have to post up pics and the menu after we pull it off (hopefully we pull it off.. we will be doing 6 courses and will be using a 4 burner electric stove thats probably 25 years old!)

you can just PM me my invite ;)

can't wait to see pics!

go! said:
you can just PM me my invite ;)

can't wait to see pics!

ha.. if all goes well we will hopefully be having more of these dinners on a fairly frequent basis. So if we do end up having more, youre def welcome to come if youre ever in chicago.

Boom, that's some flashy looking vittles mate!

You all see the difference between my crap and someone who knows what the hell they are doing?
(I still wanna edit Lauren's cook book though!)

I think I'd better put the EZbake away and just watch from here on out...hehe

Swagger said:
Boom, that's some flashy looking vittles mate!

You all see the difference between my crap and someone who knows what the hell they are doing?
(I still wanna edit Lauren's cook book though!)

I think I'd better put the EZbake away and just watch from here on out...hehe

thanks! :)

and dont stop posting your stuff.. its just like some people have 6axis cnc water jets and or insane amounts of engineering/mechanical talent building bikes on this forum, but that shouldnt stop first time builders from posting their bike builds. If we wanted a elitist critical environment to post and discuss our cooking Im sure we wouldnt be doing it on a motorcycle subforum :p

So on friday we (a collective group of artist, the group goes by "CL" or "Casual Living") threw a big party/gallery/bbq. We bought 40lbs of wings, and did them in 3 different styles. I did satay with a peanut/coconut dipping sauce, and then my two friends did classic buffalo and a dry rub with cilantro ranch dipping sauce. Every last wing got eaten! We also had sides and my friend made tostones hor'dourves with beer brazed pork and sweet potato rounds. We are going to try to have these gallery/parties monthly through the summer, and Im super pumped since the first one was a pretty big success.

Here are some pictures from the first Taste Gallery. We are debating on whether we want to start a website or not, so with that in mind I wont publish too many pictures just yet, but here are a few that I thought were cool. I still have to go scan the menu (sticking with the "gallery" theme, we had a friend who's an artist do each individual menu by hand, each one having its own unique TG logo.) Ill post that up when I get a chance.

the view
DSC_4987.jpg

amuse
DSC_5148.jpg

hanzo steel in action
DSC_5551.jpg

custard(this was for sure my favorite course.)
DSC_5634.jpg

dishes clean? goodnight.
DSC_5709.jpg

Interesting amuses. I'm guessing cucumber with creme fresh, smoked salmon and a caper berry on the close one. Tomato, basil cress and bocconcini in the center? Far is procuitto, the leaf is driving me nuts cause I swear we used them at I place I staged at once, and I think it's on top of an egg yolk.

What make is the knife? It has a western edge on it but it's not a global.

The custards are awesome, if only because I know how much of a bitch they are to mold like that =S

Erch said:
Interesting amuses. I'm guessing cucumber with creme fresh, smoked salmon and a caper berry on the close one. Tomato, basil cress and bocconcini in the center? Far is procuitto, the leaf is driving me nuts cause I swear we used them at I place I staged at once, and I think it's on top of an egg yolk.

What make is the knife? It has a western edge on it but it's not a global.

The custards are awesome, if only because I know how much of a bitch they are to mold like that =S

pretty close and way way off on the amuses :) The whole menu was fairly simple and straight forward, not a ton of ingredients on the plate, etc, so we really ran with the simplicity aspect for the amuse trio: cucumber, smoked salmon (learned to build a $6 cold smoker ;D ), dill sour cream, caper; watermelon, mint, feta; cantaloupe, shiso (probably the greatest herb ever), prosciutto.

The knife is a Misono slicer, it can be found here: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MolybdenumSeries.html scroll down to Sujihiki240mm. Not sure what you mean by it having a western edge, its a pretty classic japanese slicer afaik (but to be fair, Im not a crazy knife aficionado.) It is definitely my favorite knife though, and is why I refer to it as "Hanzo Steel." I also have a Mighty Mac santuco, its nice, but I definitely want to get one with a bit of a different shape. Then theres my Japanese (no clue what brand, the knife guy gave me a package deal with the Misono) 120mm petty pairing which is pretty awesome for breaking down poultry and whatnot.

As for the custard, it really wasnt that hard when I got the hang of it. But getting the hang of it... I think I made it maybe 8-10 times before I was happy. The mold I used was actually a silicone mold the size of 4 of those cubes, and then I used the Hanso to quarter them. It works, but I really am not completely happy with the shape as one corner remains curved and two sides are sloped. The custard is goatsmilk honey, and the foam is blackberry and in the middle is a stack of two shortbread cookies.

boomshakalaka said:
watermelon, mint, feta
Bah! my first guess was watermelon, lemon cress and chevre. I second-guessed myself.

cantaloupe, shiso (probably the greatest herb ever), prosciutto.

Yeah, that's the stuff. I always sit there with it on the tip of my tongue whenever I see it. Keep telling myself it's not purple basil.

The knife is a Misono slicer. Not sure what you mean by it having a western edge, its a pretty classic japanese slicer afaik (but to be fair, Im not a crazy knife aficionado.) It is definitely my favorite knife though, and is why I refer to it as "Hanzo Steel." I also have a Mighty Mac santuco, its nice, but I definitely want to get one with a bit of a different shape.

I don't claim to know much either. By western edge I meant it looks like a double edge but it could just be that it's subtle enough that it looks that way. I'm used to looking at the big hunks of iron we use at work that have a very obvious single edge. Like so:
MasamotoKS-1.jpg

As for the custard, it really wasnt that hard when I got the hang of it. But getting the hang of it... I think I made it maybe 8-10 times before I was happy. The mold I used was actually a silicone mold the size of 4 of those cubes, and then I used the Hanso to quarter them. It works, but I really am not completely happy with the shape as one corner remains curved and two sides are sloped.

Not far removed from the "cheesecake" we do on our dessert menu: we basically make a mascarpone flan by piping into a mold, drop in a frozen "puck" of rhubarb filling in the center, then filling it up. Then we serve it with house made graham cookies on the side. It's kind of a cheesecake lava cake. It was also completely terrifying to unmold during service until we started adding some agar to the mix.

my favorite recipe developed by yours truly involve a car, bacon and chocolate. so basically it is the best recipe ever! ;D

Chocolate covered bacon:

Ingredients:
-1 lb bacon
-.75 lb milk chocolate

Materials needed:
-microwave safe plate
-baking sheet
-wax paper
-spoon
-microwave safe bowl
-Recently driven car (optional)
-paper towel

put a piece of paper towel on a plate, lay the bacon strips on the paper towel, seperating layers of bacon with paper towel, placing a piece of paper towel on top. Microwave bacon in the oven (about one minute per slice) since I ended up with 13 slices of bacon, I had 13 minutes to melt the chocolate and prep for everything else. wipe the counter before placing the chocolate in a bowl.

Chocolate melts at 86 degrees Fahrenheit, but if it exceeds about 100 degrees, the chocolate tempers funny and doesn't re-harden right, so you can melt the chocolate in a double boiler (complicated) in 10 second increments on the microwave (I only have one microwave) some other nice radiant heat source, like near the headers of my car, so place the bowl in a clean part of the engine bay and mix occasionally like so:
232323232%7Ffp8%3C7%3Enu%3D5%3A92%3E59%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3368%3B35762335nu0mrj

by the time the bacon finished cooking the chocolate was almost done, so quickly remove the paper towel right away (to keep it from sticking) and drain the grease, place some wax paper on the baking sheet and I ended up doing a quick 10 second burst in the microwave to finish melting the chocolate. Lay the bacon on the wax paper and drizzle chocolate on the bacon, using your fingers to spread the chocolate around the bacon slices for even coverage, once everything is covered, put the pan in the freezer and allow the chocolate to harden.

the taste is distinctive because the salty sweetness is similar to a salted peanut, and you only really pick up the baconyness strongest in the after taste. you could substitute the hot car with a motorcycle and some aluminum foil (for better ambient heat distribution).

Filipino Chicken Wings

1 Large Ziplock
1 Cup Patis (Fish Sauce)
Dash of Dinger
Tons of lemon Juice
Dash of Black Pepper
Dash of Paprika
As many wings as you can pack in that bag

Marinade for at least half an hour

Deep dry in pot

Serve with Beer

Enjoy