'77 CB550f Super Sport "Scrapple II" -Richmond VA (buyin' stuff)

Kickeroo

Been Around the Block
Gotta Start Somewhere:

Ground ZERO (Scrapple I);

HondaCB550004.jpg

Re: '76 CB 550k MonkeyRiders.com-Richmond VA

The time for inactivity is over (after 5 whole days), but first, something to share for the Honda purists:

From the title (at 6), going clockwise: The original odometer certification, the original owners manual, the original receipt, the original warranty certificate, and at center, the original invoice. All now in a secure file in a secure location.

Documents001.jpg

Wow with all that original paperwork I'm guessing you're doing a resto job?

Nope. This thing is so rough, the only way to is custom/cafe.

Front is devoid of its hateful stock guages. This is going to be slow progress due to limited time, but the goal today was to "clear" the front and get an idea (which I stil don't have) as to how good the forks are, or aren't. They seem to be OK, as per the Clymer manual, but man, are they fugly.

cb550frontenddisassembly004.jpg

Actually, you need to look under the bottoms of those rubber boots. Doesn't matter as much if the tops are rusty.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm in Chesterfield and building a cafe bike as well.

Perdition said:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm in Chesterfield and building a cafe bike as well.

best thing to do is...whatever I do, is to do the exact opposite. Really. Any similarites between a set of qualified hands and what you see happen here is mere coincidence, and should not be attempted without parental supervision, legal council, a notorized waiver releiving me of any responsibily, shot of thinking-man's liquor, and the blessing of a priest, preferably Jesuit, and preferably one not indicted on any charges. But that's another story, for another time.

And hey, if you are local, hit up http://www.monkeyriders.com/forums/portal.php

Kickeroo said:
best thing to do is...whatever I do, is to do the exact opposite. Really. Any similarites between a set of qualified hands and what you see happen here is mere coincidence, and should not be attempted without parental supervision, legal council, a notorized waiver releiving me of any responsibily, shot of thinking-man's liquor, and the blessing of a priest, preferably Jesuit, and preferably one not indicted on any charges. But that's another story, for another time.

thats funny. did you have you attorney right that up for ya. the best way to learn is trial and error (after asking questions for two days haha) i'm pretty sure everything will turn out just fine and you will become a fountain of knowledge for everyone else

Haven't done squat today, excpet go get 10W30 sythentic and some lotite for the fork inspection, coming soon. I ,for the first time in 43 years, bought a can of primer NOT intended for vandalism...unless one of the purists has anything to say about what's about to happen.

Re: '76 CB 550k "Scrapple" MonkeyRiders.com-Richmond VA

I had hoped to take the forks off last night, however life got in the way a bit. Still I was able to better stabilize the bike on the lif so that i wasn't looking at the bike with a list to one side or another. After a bit of MacGuyvering, I was able to figure out that the spine of the frame is NOT bent, but the steering stem collar/triple tree is just loose enough to make it look like the front is FUBAR. Still, the front MUST come off before I can really figure out where to go next. Stay tuned.

Forks are off and....
....yep, we're bent:
frontforkframedamage001.jpg

....and not just the stem collar. The left fork:
frontforkframedamage002.jpg

Not all bad news, I guess. The yokie on the rim was still holding air....
frontforkframedamage003.jpg

Brake disc ain't half bad....I guess.
frontforkframedamage004.jpg

So.....I guess the forks offerd to me locally from another fellas cb550 just might come in handy, that is, if my frame malady can be sorted out. Anyone with any ideas. I'm going to see if I can find out what happened before this bike could be re-inspected in 98. Maybe a story there:
frontforkframedamage006.jpg

Yuck. Have you thought about perhaps upgrading to a modern front end instead? Just in case those other 550 forks don't work out. And what's the problem with the frame again?

From all appearances, it looks like the collar that holds the steering stem is torqued towards the left side. llook at the first picture. compare the seam line on the collar with, say the oil filter housng at the bottom of the picture. They should, at least, be close to one another in alligment, right?

Double yuck. Im on my phone.....that's my excuse...

Could cut the neck off and have it welded onto a custom frame I guess. Or just find another one.

Hatching a plan. Stay tuned. this could get interesting.

Ok, from what I can tell....by doubling what I have into this project, the frame can realistically and safely be straightened. All it takes is time (which I have) and money (which I don't always have), and motivation (which, as of now, admittedly, is waning).

One more variable to stamp out. Again, stay tuned, and thanks for looking.

Tree is off. Bearings and races safely bagged and tagged, although tapered ones are on the list. More questions than answers. Full disclosure, my eyesight is shyte, and with 3-1/2 Stellas, even more compromised. For shits and giggles, I climbed onto the pegs and stared down the collar and compared it with the spine of the frame. It doesn't look bent :eek:

The tree came off with no drama, since it was MAYBE finger tight, which most certainly wold have added to the illusion.

Gotta take this down to the frame, once and for all. Either way, i have to.

Re: '76 CB 550k "Scrapple" -Richmond VA (tearing in down)

Progressing at a snails pace, but making back some of my investment by selling off some parts along the way (so far, about $16!!!)

She can't roll anymore;
progress001.jpg

Swingarm area minus the HATEFULL inner fender (not coming back) and chainguard (will need a new one)
progress004.jpg

That's what's left of my center-stand, that fell apart when I was putting the bike on the stand
progress005.jpg

Business end view of my frame's wanedring ways
progress006.jpg

LOOK! I made a clean spot!
progress008.jpg

Re: '76 CB 550k "Scrapple" -Richmond VA (tearing in down)

Needs to be painted banana yellow. That is one very bent frame. Get a pair of cones and a straight rod through the cones and see where that font end points. My guess is that the steering head is bent significantly to the right at the top and more so at the bottom.

Straightening a frame takes a large jig with hydraulic rams and measuring equipment - or four strong guys with long stiff bars to tweak it back. It has to be bent past straight to allow it to spring back to position.

That frame is pretty bad though and it's possible that it will crack. BTW, the motor must be bolted in nice and tight when it's being straightened. It may be cheaper to find a replacement frame and title.

Back
Top Bottom