1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

well after waiting almost a month ebay finally contacted me with a refund for my 1" superbike bars that I still haven't received. I will be getting the same style, but now we wait... again.

In other news, the place I bought the front stainless spokes from had messed up the bend angle on all of the outside spokes. They however made and sent me new ones free of charge. They just got here yesterday so I can finish up re lacing the front wheel. Ill hopefully have a roller here soon again.

Re: 1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

Wheel laced.
2971c6b3a599978c7de0b43b160712e7.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nice!

I have that hub on my radar, what is the axle dia.
20mm

New bars are much more better
f572e530b0e68998e7c740a99c7cebcb.jpg

Yeah man, with the mid controls, that should fit pretty nice. Better than a wood bench in an old truck at least.

canyoncarver said:
Yeah man, with the mid controls, that should fit pretty nice. Better than a wood bench in an old truck at least.
Nah, wood bench seat would be better

Coming together well! Front wheel will look good in there, I'm currently dealing with the front brake issue but I don't have such useful parts on hand. I have an '81 Ironhead project I'm trying to find a 2ls drum for to replace the awful twin disc setup with. You're definitely a more capable builder than me though. Will definitely keep an eye on this build

Milpool said:
Coming together well! Front wheel will look good in there, I'm currently dealing with the front brake issue but I don't have such useful parts on hand. I have an '81 Ironhead project I'm trying to find a 2ls drum for to replace the awful twin disc setup with. You're definitely a more capable builder than me though. Will definitely keep an eye on this build
If you want, I can detail out everything you need to put the cb550 lowers on the Harley tubes. All the stuff is pretty easily available on ebay. The custom top triple was only so I can use stock cb550 tubes because the tapered Harley ones were 4" over. If I had stock length Harley tubes I would have just used them with 550 lowers and then the cb350 front drum fits with just 2 washer type spacers made.

hurco550 said:
If you want, I can detail out everything you need to put the cb550 lowers on the Harley tubes. All the stuff is pretty easily available on ebay. The custom top triple was only so I can use stock cb550 tubes because the tapered Harley ones were 4" over. If I had stock length Harley tubes I would have just used them with 550 lowers and then the cb350 front drum fits with just 2 washer type spacers made.

That makes for good thread content mang... it's what my intentions were coming here, all the good free info.

Keep it going... Peace out.

Well its a bittersweet day. The ironhead went to a new home. I had every intention of getting this girl running and flipping it for some cash or trading it for something else.

I ended up selling it to my wife's cousin who suprised his dad with it as a gift. I am in the red a bit on the whole deal, but seeing the look on uncle bobs face is worth it (really not trying to be sappy, but it was nice seeing him excited about it). He had a 76 sporty back in his glory days. The good news is I will still see this project through to completion and I'll be helping them along the way, and he even said I can ride it =) I'll still try to keep this thread up, it's just not mine now...

4ed4610021cde3b667bd877067942964.jpg

In its new home.
0f02d1a8002f6fa0c9e7534cda2d06a8.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
Good Stuff mang... Looks like plenty of talent in da family 8)
Yep, it's in far more capable hands than my own to be honest. Nick, my wife's cousin is something of a genius. In that pic is part of a frame rail for a 66 GTO that he is custom fabricating to accept a c6 (I think) corvette front suspension. Bikes will be simple against his skill set

Back
Top Bottom