Impact wrench recommendations?

I'm eyeing up this one -

k1rvX8d.png

$180 CAD and comes with battery and charger on promo - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-18v-gen5x-brushless-4-mode-impact-wrench/1000785199

Me neither Mike. But this thing has up to 450ft lbs of torque which has gotta be enough, no?

Will do. The promo on at Home Depot (until end of Oct) buys you the impact for $180, and you get a battery and charger with it thrown in (worth $150). I'll let you know how it goes.

Kool, I have a Makita Li Ion drill with 2 5.0 AH batteries so I'll likely get an impact that uses the same packs but that will depend on if I can get one that cheap.

The only thing I ever use an impact driver (the air or motorized kind) for is installing car wheels. The manual ones I posted do well for loosening and tightening. Plus, most motorcycle stuff has torque numbers, so you're not using an impact driver for much.

Yeah I totally hear you guys. I won't be using the thing for tightening stuff up, just for breaking loose bolts and the like. There have been a few occasions where a bolt has been my undoing, however -

quPMwL2.jpg

- no longer. This thing is the absolute dogs bollocks, got the clutch nut off without blinking. Winter tire changes are going to be a walk in the park with this thing, and with 450ft lbs of torque I can't imagine many situations where I'd need more. Unless that build-an-Eiffel-tower itch needs scratching.

I've got a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench running on continuous 105psi and a Milwaukee battery powered impact wrench and the Milwaukee shits on the CP, so much so that I haven't used the air one in a couple of years.

Pete12 said:
I've got a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench running on continuous 105psi and a Milwaukee battery powered impact wrench and the Milwaukee shits on the CP, so much so that I haven't used the air one in a couple of years.
My Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 and 1/2 are good for spinning in/out already loosened bolts. Their air ratchets are good for spinning themselves with no load.

Maritime said:
awesome. good to know.
It's a beast. I won't be using it every day (sadly), but when I need it it's gonna be invaluable. Neighbours are lining up already to use the thing come winter tire change time.

Clutch bolts, fork bolts, axle bolts, cylinder studs...just wish I got to work on these things more often. This thing's the shit.

That's a very good point that some of us missed when we bought our pneumatic wrenches because back then there were no electric impacts worth buying.

Things have changed. Time for me to buy a new one and dump the old pneumatic.

Yep I had a corded electric first and it was heavy and it worked until one really stuck bolt and I burned the motor out of it. Went compressor and pneumatic after that.

Back
Top Bottom