Yamaha DT2 Build - Smoke if you got 'em...

Started work on the stator for the DT2. Removed the coils for the lighting, charging, and ignition systems. We're going to a full 12V DC system, so all three coils will be rewound in series to create a single phase alternator.

Attachments

• stator.png
    stator.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 256
So the fine wire coil is the ignition charge coil and the other pair are for charging, or are all three charge coils?

The small gauge wire is for the ignition coil and the other two are for lighting and charging, respectively.

One and a half of the thicker gauge coils are wound to provide power to the headlight, tail light, and brake light systems. Turn signals and horn are run from the battery, which gets fed (through a half-wave rectifier) from the other half winding.

My goal is to wind all three in series and rectify the entire stator so that we'll be running on 12V DC. We'll need a new ignition coil as the old AC one will no longer be suitable. All lights will be converted to 12V LED.

Sounds like an interesting plan. Is there enough magnetic flux to generate a solid 12v?

That's what I'm going to find out. The plan is to start with 16 gauge wire, but I can bump it up to 18 gauge (smaller wire means more windings and more windings means higher voltage) if I don't like the numbers we're putting down.

And if that doesn't work, there's always PowerDynao (Vape) or HPI but the cost is a little higher.

Hmmm... you ever kinda want to do something, but you're not really sure if you should?

I found this stator I had laying around in the shop and it's wound for three phase. The magnet overlap on the rotor looks pretty close to ideal and the stator is almost a perfect fit. I think the stator may have been from a GSXR?

I would have to completely rework the ignition system, but I think the charging system would be top notch.

Attachments

• 20190420_122326.jpg
    20190420_122326.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 613
Maritime said:
Wow. Looks made to fit

I know, right? The mounting holes are in the same locations on the stator bracket as well. I'd just need to turn down the mounts for the points and old coils and this stator would bolt right up.

Sonreir said:
I know, right? The mounting holes are in the same locations on the stator bracket as well. I'd just need to turn down the mounts for the points and old coils and this stator would bolt right up.

Why not adapt a Dyna instead of points after all that work?

WOuld the rotating magnets in the flywheel not mess with the dyna pickups? I know that people fit DYNA's to RD350s with an internal rotor and they seem to work OK. I haven't tried one on an external flywheel. Cheap enough to try.

teazer said:
WOuld the rotating magnets in the flywheel not mess with the dyna pickups? I know that people fit DYNA's to RD350s with an internal rotor and they seem to work OK. I haven't tried one on an external flywheel. Cheap enough to try.

That was my thinking, which is why space becomes an issue. Not sure where else to put it aside the rotor. Maybe something on the primary gear?

That's always a possibility but you need a pickup that can withstand hot(ish) oil.

Is there a later model DT250 that came with CDI that would bolt on? I did have a Hitachi single pickup system at one time (basically 1/2 a TZ system), but that had no lights. Not cheap but how about an HPI small rotor set up or maybe a powerdynamo/Vape large external flywheel system.

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-dt-rt-dt250-dt360-dt400-cdi-ignition-12v-180w-7238799dc/

https://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=210K059

Got two of these bad boys wound. We'll see how it works out...

Attachments

• 20190508_154044.jpg
    20190508_154044.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 221
Got the chamber back from Pacific Pipe Repair. They pulled the dents and laid on some fresh black coating. Not 100% sure what the coating is, but I'm assuming it'll hold up to the heat.

Attachments

• 20190528_185123.jpg
    20190528_185123.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 205
The decals for the front and side number plates came in. Looks pretty good, I think.

Attachments

• 20190602_123438.jpg
    20190602_123438.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 210
Back
Top Bottom