1981 Yamaha XS650sh

Months ago I noticed a tapping sound when I took off in first gear. I never really could figure where it was coming from, I first thought it might be a hanging wire hitting my tire, then I thought it was my chain guard, but I couldn't see anything rubbing. Last night I was adjusting my chain and low and behold I found the culprit, turns out that one of the rear sprocket bolts wiggled its way lose and was lightly hitting the chain guard mount.....man that could have been bad.
Sliced in by my Droid Razr

I noticed a crack forming on my chain guard. So I drilled a hole in the end of the crack to stop it, but ended up making the guard look like xhit. So I surfed over to lowbrowcustoms.com and picked up this little baby.... Now to mounting.
46c20472-c45d-99c9.jpg

It's stainless and cheap
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2168

Got it installed, took about 20 min and I didn't have to remove the rear tire. I used 3 deep well sockets set on top of the chain as a measure for distance, but I have to adjust the front a little. It slightly touches the chain
46c20ed4-0e52-616d.jpg

I always get a little gas come out of the overflow anyway to stop that? Now I just turn off the petcocks

I pounded that sucker in after trimming it down a hair for a snug fit. Now on to welding.

Here is the link to the site I got this from http://650central.com/

Here is the Claim

Torque Peak Optimizers
The Theoretical Torque Peak (TPP) will determine the operating range of your motor. Typically with stock pipes, this is at 1000 RPM below redline, sort of a built in rev limiter. On road racers, it is at or slightly above redline, so the motor will pull to redline. On flat trackers, it is 1000 RPM or more above redline, to give over-rev capability, and soften power delivery off the turn. On a 650, 1 3/4" head pipes give a TPP of 11,000 RPM-- Useless. Even on a 750, it is over 9500- useless unless racing. There is no free lunch-- you can only shift this powerband. Mid-range is what gets it done on the street. You can have your large OD pipes and still optimize the TPP for your displacement and RPM range. Each set custom designed and built for your application.
These inserts must be welded in the head pipes just before the mufflers or may be butt-welded to effectively extend the head pipes for a complimentary Theoretical Horsepower Peak

Custom made for your displacement and RPM

Attachments

• 2012-07-24_13-19-00_4.jpg
    2012-07-24_13-19-00_4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 345
So it's just a restriction to artificially choke the pipes off to increase back pressure? It won't increase gas velocity or do much to change wave dynamics. Why not look at teh exhaust ports and see if it's possible to insert anti reversion tubes. They are smaller diameter tubes at teh head to decrease exhaust gas reversion

teazer said:
So it's just a restriction to artificially choke the pipes off to increase back pressure? It won't increase gas velocity or do much to change wave dynamics. Why not look at teh exhaust ports and see if it's possible to insert anti reversion tubes. They are smaller diameter tubes at teh head to decrease exhaust gas reversion

I have the inserts for the head side as well, at this point it would of made more sense to just get smaller pipes....haha

I'm going to open it up on the way home tonight..I'll report any change

After work tonight I'm shooting for a ton... First time... Got the "my tracks" app set on the Droid RAZR for accuracy .. (don't get out until 1 am) so I'll post if I reach it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I believe that the torque optimization works. I am getting a lot more out of 3rd and 4th gear..... And I hit the ton twice! Finally!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

This is mounted. I need to buff a little and strip it. I did throw down 3 coats of clear
46c20404-db57-4872.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Back
Top Bottom