The Amalgam: honda past meets present, take 2! or 3?

Re: The Amalgam: Cb450 frame, cbr500r motor. What could go wrong???

Tune-A-Fish said:
Sprocket and a motor nudge is all you need, hanging perfect center is not critical for this one... CG will be barely effected. I would make very sure the sump is in oil with the forward cant or maybe get it up in front a little more.

Going to screw with it shortly. I was thinking if running the exhaust on the left for a slight redistribution of weight.

Moved the motor over, a little better. I can take about 3/8 out of the right motor mount to get it over even more. New ossue:

Attachments

• 20160713_122722.jpg
    20160713_122722.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 272
  • 20160712_164152.jpg
    20160712_164152.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 272
  • 20160713_122338.jpg
    20160713_122338.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 264
  • 20160713_122344.jpg
    20160713_122344.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 272

I think the 500r this came from has a plastic slider on the swingarm, may have to fab something up like that or add a wheel to space it off the swingarm.

Hog an 1/8th off the motor also. you can cut the frame as close as the motor can be moved over, just insert a solid plug in the tube bored to the motor bolt size, drill the tube and plug weld it or use some red thread locker on the plug before inserting it.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Hog an 1/8th off the motor also. you can cut the frame as close as the motor can be moved over, just insert a solid plug in the tube bored to the motor bolt size, drill the tube and plug weld it or use some red thread locker on the plug before inserting it.

Yea I guess there's no harm gong into the case a little. The motor can go over as much as i want, the frame is going to be rebuilt from the mount through the downtube. Cant run the single downtube need 2 for the radiator and fan.

Actually looks like a good placement. Run a 52 rear sprocket and no worries.

redwillissuperman said:
Actually looks like a good placement. Run a 52 rear sprocket and no worries.

Lol! Id need a 19 tooth front!

Got an eBay special cbr500r frame in the mail today. Apparently this motor is offset in the oem frame as well. After a little r&d, I will chop it apart for the downtubes. Should be a simple matter of cutting the 450 one off, grinding it clean, and welding these on. I will also be modifying the bottom rear motor mount at the same time. Once that is all done, the other 2 mounts will have to be fabricated, as well as the bottom of the frame. I will be leaving that for a bit since I will be deferring to ncologerojr to help get the frame back into 1 piece. Some of you may have seen his killer 350 build on bike exif. He will be doing most of the metalwork on this project, including modifying the tank, completion of the frame, seat, and exhaust. All that I am doing now it just getting a great plan together so the fab work has a clear path.

Started chopping the 500 downtubes out. Have to grind it smooth and see what I have. The 500 downtubes are too short to make it to the neck on the 450 frame, will need to extend them. My other idea was to cut the single downtube short and weld it onto that and make it a y, but I don't know how that would be structurally. I cant see it being a problem.

Getting some ideas for the downtube. Obviously some metal and a lot of work is required.

Attachments

• IMG_20160719_150752.jpg
    IMG_20160719_150752.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 250

You gonna have any 450 left in there? ;)

deviant said:
You gonna have any 450 left in there? ;)

The tank, about 60% of the frame, and the neck with the vin number. Thats the part I care about ;D

jag767 said:
The tank, about 60% of the frame, and the neck with the vin number. Thats the part I care about ;D

Sounds right to me. That single rear down tube could be replaced with twin tubes joining just above the swigarm pivot if you need more space behind the motor....

teazer said:
Sounds right to me. That single rear down tube could be replaced with twin tubes joining just above the swigarm pivot if you need more space behind the motor....

Actually, there's a ton of space there, go figure! :eek:

I need a frame guru. Is there any reason to extend the frame under the motor? I was thinking to cut it just after the bottom motor mount, and run a piece of tube parallel to the mountunder the motor. Theres 4 mounts on the motor, 2 rear, one intake side by the head, and the front downtube, would that not work well as a stressed member done properly? I plan to sure up the downtube substantially, and am open to good ideas elsewhere.

If you sleeve the front down tube to Y and add a second (2 piece) collar/gusset at the head stock to get all of that good and solid, you can use the motor as a frame or pre-stressed unit it's done all over even on the SOHC CB750's. You just need to take your time and get it right so bolts are aligned and don't need a hammer to install, you don't want it all in a bind and you should use some known torque numbers for fasteners so all is clamped in evenly.

I would work the Y tube like you are from the bottom up making sure function meets form, you don't want something that may work well but looks like ass or looks good but performs like ass. you may need to pull that motor also so don't weld it in lol.

I love these way out of the box builds so don't fuckin give up doood! :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
If you sleeve the front down tube to Y and add a second (2 piece) collar/gusset at the head stock to get all of that good and solid, you can use the motor as a frame or pre-stressed unit it's done all over even on the SOHC CB750's. You just need to take your time and get it right so bolts are aligned and don't need a hammer to install, you don't want it all in a bind and you should use some known torque numbers for fasteners so all is clamped in evenly.

I would work the Y tube like you are from the bottom up making sure function meets form, you don't want something that may work well but looks like ass or looks good but performs like ass. you may need to pull that motor also so don't weld it in lol.

I love these way out of the box builds so don't fuckin give up doood! :eek:

There will be no giving up, that is sure. Whatever is beyond my skill level nick is going to take care of.

Can you post a picture of the y sleeve? I think I know the way you mean but I want to be sure. If it's what I think you mean, that'll be fine, and i will try to make it look as nice as possible, enouth though a radiator will be in front of it.. At the bottom rear mount I will put a cross support, then cap the ends of the tubes. The motor should be easily removable with that design.

Found my seat. Well thats off my 350f but i ordered another one.

Attachments

• IMG_20160725_120156.jpg
    IMG_20160725_120156.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 276

^^^that looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be best off cutting out the single downtube at the rear of the engine and mounting 2 downtimes to go to the swingarm pivot points. This will allow you to move the engine back so the front sprocket gets closer to the swingarm pivot.

Back
Top Bottom