EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Hey Guys,

Difficult progress this week.... Some pieces from the last update were welded in place and today I made a small, but difficult, step. At the left side of the frame there has to be a hole through the frame for a very importand mounting point. This is the point that takes the most force when accelerating.

The mounting point:
o_DSC_3682.jpg

Other side:
o_DSC_3685.jpg

I knew this mounting point was coming, and today I had enough time to think about it for a bit then measure twice and cut once ;) The plan is to weld a solid piece in the frame and put a bolt through straight into the engine. So accuracy is very importand. And the problem is to clamp the frame... Mill wasn't big enough so drill pres it was... And of course that machine is not as rigid as the mill so clamping was a challenge

Clamping took some fantasy today (and almost 2 hours hours) :) But in the end Mr. holesaw coul do his job, it all worked as planned and they lived happily ever after ;D

Clamping fantasy:
o_DSC_3686.jpg

And again:
o_DSC_3687.jpg

The finished hole:
o_DSC_3689.jpg

And the hole mounting point complete:
o_DSC_3690.jpg

Next week the wheels are back, and then the swingarm is priority, hope to have it on his wheels within a month or so :D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best regards,

Loek

The engineering and thought gone into this bike is second to none. I have to say I'm thouroughly captivated with this build (if not a little jealous of the toys at your disposal).
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!

Very nice hold on a rather difficult part. Frames are always awkward to clamp and the Egli frame takes the prize. I did a swingarm mounting modification. Added a boss and second outside plate and a few other things. We turned the boss O.D. and the I.D. just close but undersized, then bored it on a horizontal boring mill to exact spec. Holding was easier because of the two bottom frame tubes. The partial frame is a '73 RT 360 conversion. Fun to watch your work.
Cheers, 50gary

Hey Guys,

I've been waiting longer than expected for my wheels.... So in the meantime decided to kill the donorbike...

Bike still complete (sort off):
o_DSC_3693.jpg

1 hour into the kill:
o_DSC_3695.jpg

2 hours into the kill:
o_DSC_3697.jpg

So after almost 3 hours the donor bike is no more and pile of junk is a bit bigger :) The motor stays in the bare frame for easy storage and some measurements. Finally the wheels came back this thursday ;D and I was really happy with that. Today went to the tireshop and got the tires mounted, and now my wheels look like this:
o_DSC_3706.jpg

instead of this:
o_voornaaf%20van%20FTR%20classic.JPG

Now there is some more progress to be expected in the next few weeks!!

Best regards,

Loek

Loekm Good call, I have the very same tires on my Honda CX500 conversion. I like them quite a bit. Good grip and very stable. Suppose to be good in foul weather but luckily I haven't had to test that facet of them.

Cheers, 50gary

Hi 50gary,

Good to hear about the tires, I couldn't find a lot about them so I trusted the tireman in this one. And he has some experience 8).

Next thing on my list is the looks of the bike, I'll try and put everything together for a mockup to check proportions. So wheels, tank, seat, exhaust and of course frame and engine will be put together sort of... We'll see how that works out and the get it going!!

I'll keep you all informed!

Best regards,

Loek

Loek,

I'm posting a pic of MY workshop facilities to make you really jealous ;) ;) ;)

Hopefully all will change in a few weeks when I move into my shared hobby workshop.

truly sensational work my friend ........................ 8) 8)

Picture036.jpg

Hey Mr. beachcomber,

Thanks for the compliments ;D Hope to make lots of progress soon... There is some sort off classic 4hours endurance demo race in the Netherlands, and it would be a very nice test drive.

Your operation theatre looks awesome ;) maybe not the space but the parts.....

Best regards,

Loek

It's obvious to me that you have skills in the machine shop, a friend who can weld, and computer skills. Are you also a painter? :) I'm enjoying this. I hope you're enjoying the journey.

loekm said:
Hey Mr. beachcomber,

Thanks for the compliments ;D Hope to make lots of progress soon... There is some sort off classic 4hours endurance demo race in the Netherlands, and it would be a very nice test drive.

Your operation theatre looks awesome ;) maybe not the space but the parts.....

Best regards,

Loek

In my defence Loek - I'm not normally an untidy person. However, when I had the sudden loss of a second garage [ same size ] that was rammed with my parts and projects - it all had to be condensed into my "working" garage - in 8 hours !

Hopefully, I will be able to post a much better workspace in the next 2-3 weeks after my move.

Good afternoon,

@Swivel:
Thanks for the technical comments! I realy like the fact that other people look into the engineering side of my project!

I've seen the construction of the bike you refered to and it is a good option as you explained, but i think that part of the engine is quite strong. It is one of the original mounting points of the engine into the frame, and it takes a big part of the chain force. The smal piece that can be seen in my pictures will be strong, but there will be more mounting points later. We'll see, I keep you informed.

In this gallery: http://www.tr1.de/pages/gallery_sepp.php there are some nice pictures of non standard TR1 engined bikes to compare mounting points.

About the injection on my bike..... it's a plan.... 8) First get this thing safe on the road and then try and see what I can do with the spare engine. Thanks for the camshaft offer! I'll see if they're needed. The injection plan so far is BMW throtlle boddies, and maybe this injection system: http://www.ecotrons.com/ or a megasquirt equivalent.

Thanks again for the comments, please keep them comming!

Best regards,

Loek

I'm with Loek on this one; EFI is just too good and too easy to implement these days to pass up. I'll be running a microsquirt controller and a couple Buel throttle bodies on mine, I can have it up and running for under $700, tunable via my tablet. I've got those flatslides on the Triumph and as much as I love them (and I do) when it comes time I'll swap it to EFI as well.
It would be difficult to turn away from precise mapping, ignition curve control, elevation compensation, knock sensing etc.....

For the swingarm pivot: did you machine a collar to go around the needle bearings? I was trying to figure out the make of the bearing and how it is used, but looking at it I imagine you might have machined the collar so the bearings can't slide inward past the races - which are in turn held apart by the tubular spacer.

Is that what's going on there? If not, what keeps the bearings from sliding inward where the collars would put pressure on the swingarm pivot tube?

For some reason bearings give me the hardest time where they are expected to handle loads in more than one direction - seems it's always necessary to include a small gap in the design. I default to radial contact bearings, but they don't have the contact area of needle bearings.

Wonderful work!

Angular contact bearings will bear load in both radial and axial directions. Tapered or dual tapered roller bearing will also carry those loads. Tapered rollers are for heavier loading.
Cheers, 50gary

Goodmorning gentlemen!

@CoopersmithingCo:
I checked your website a bit.... WOW sheetmetal skills look very nice, frame building as well. About the bearings... The ones I chose are: SKF-NKX-30-Z. They are combined needle / thrust bearins in one piece. Here's the technical sheet I think this makes it a bit more clear. I machined nothing special for the bearings, just some spacers to keep the inner rings in place.

SKF.JPG

@Swagger:
Are you installing EFI at this moment? I would really like to hear your experience in terms of power and torque difference compared to carbs and all the challenges you met ;)

Best regards,

Loek

Hi again,

Just checked the pictures from yesterday... did some mockup to see proportions and lines of the bike.

IMG_0084.jpg

I'm quite happy with the result, now a week of holliday, and then PROGRESS ;D

Best regards,

Loek

Back
Top Bottom