1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

2011-04-26125929.jpg
I found it! As far as the dim setting being TOO dim, it all depends on the brightness of the bulb and how much resistance you choose to run. I just kept adding resistors in small increments until it looked right.

Now that is science! :) Thanks two-smoker - will definitely be doing this... :) Dale

For the record, I can't take credit for coming up with this idea. I saw it in an old issue of The Horse BC. But it is such a good idea, it would be criminal not to pass it along.

Hej Dale,

Just checked out your build, its Awesome !
Just 1 question? Where did you hide the battery?

Thanks Tetter.

The idea is to go for Li-Ion batteries packed at the bottom where the original batter would go.
However, I'm considering doing a phase 1 and phase 2 on this build - and canning all the fancy ideas, and just getting the bike done.
Stuff like original battery and Air box *may* be kept for now.
The idea behind the number board is to hide the original battery, much like the side cover would.

Hey guys, thanks for the interest.

Well the short answer is - I kinda got distracted.

I rebuilt my NSR250 MC21 track bike in June/July last year, (top left) then in September I started on my Honda MC28 (bottom left, which Ive just finished). In November/December I rebuilt my brothers Aprilia RS250.

I also started putting together another MC21 in Fortuna colours out of all the spare parts I had - 95% complete. (bottom right)
I was also dumb enough to start on my Ducati 900SS. (but this is low priority)

The Guzzi is collecting dust, and its a toss up between getting the MC21 done next, or get myself motivated on this little V50 again.

The culprits: :)

250_b.jpg

My goodness you have a beautiful collection of motorcycles Brother!

Do the bloody Guzzi! LOL, Come on man you do such nice work i'm hanging to see how it comes up?

joeyputt said:
My goodness you have a beautiful collection of motorcycles Brother!

Thank you man! :)

alexmac said:
Need more Italian content here... enough with the sushi bikes! ;D

Brilliant! I think I'm going to make a little sushi logo for the Honda's :)
Hey - the Aprillia's Italian!

andycafe said:
Do the bloody Guzzi! LOL, Come on man you do such nice work i'm hanging to see how it comes up?

Ha! Yeah, the MC21 is closer to finished though, but its money spent, and the Guzzi needs funds, so gonna give it some thought.... :)

Certain models are more easily available than others. The Honda MC28 for example is not easy to find. Aprillia's are getting more scarce. I guess once you're in the game, you find the circles that give you better access to the bikes. There was a national racing class for 250cc two-strokes that existed right up to the end of last year over here, so race bikes are available and there's spares here if you know where to look.

Two strokes in general are becoming more scarce and more difficult to keep on the road in general due to all sorts of legislation, as I'm sure you're fully aware. We haven't experience the clamp down yet here, but its inevitable.

Ive been told by a number of guys in the motorcycle industry that 250 two stroke racers are increasing in value, and are increasing in collectability. Who knows?

I'm assuming from your question that they are already getting rare in your neck of the woods?

There never really were 250cc two-stroke racers available here in the States... At least not after the 70's. The last viable two-stroke road bike here was the Yamaha RZ350, or RD350LC/YPVS. After that, nothing. The Gamma 250 Suzuki made it over as a grey from Canada here and there, but it's never been common.

Hi Dale, Just stumbled across your build. Read every page. Holly crap awesome!!! I'm finishing a mkl with mklll engine, lots of monza bits. All matte black with red frame and other bits. I didn't document it like you did but have a sort of picture flip book of disassembly and reassembly. I tried to take pics from the same spot when something came off or went on. Missed a bunch getting wrapped up in the task though. Would be nice to see some dyno numbers. Can't wait to get mine dyno'd. I have 29mm flatslide dellorto's wedged in with a dual outlet K&N and a 2-1 header with a long can. Taken 2 years so far, just need to tidy a few things

v-pilot said:
*SNIP* I'm finishing a mkl with mklll engine, lots of monza bits.... Taken 2 years so far, just need to tidy a few things *SNIP*

Welcome V-pilot! I for one, would love to see what you got. Put together an intro or build thread with some of the pics and put a link to it in your sig... Sounds very cool!

Hey fellas.

Well, yup, funny you ask... I started working on the old gal about a week ago again.... Was wanting to post up a nice big update, but seeing as we're here, Ill post up some progress....

v-pilot said:
Hi Dale, Just stumbled across your build. Read every page. Holly crap awesome!!! I'm finishing a mkl with mklll engine, lots of monza bits. All matte black with red frame and other bits. I didn't document it like you did but have a sort of picture flip book of disassembly and reassembly. I tried to take pics from the same spot when something came off or went on. Missed a bunch getting wrapped up in the task though. Would be nice to see some dyno numbers. Can't wait to get mine dyno'd. I have 29mm flatslide dellorto's wedged in with a dual outlet K&N and a 2-1 header with a long can. Taken 2 years so far, just need to tidy a few things

Now that sounds awesome! +1 on Hoosier Daddy's comment... If you haven't already... Ill go over and have a look. Would love to see that....

So the other week, a few buddies and myself went out for a Saturday morning ride, and one of the guys, who I hadn't met before was on a nicely restored LeMans. He had also spent two years restoring this bike. He's a photographer by trade, and he sent me these two pics the following Monday. I told him about my bike, and we got talking. This talk got me motivated to work on the V50 again...

guzzikevin.jpg

guzzijune-3511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom