74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

cxman said:
i need a package rack for mine but this is a little rude

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-XL-600-R-XL-350-R-XL-250-R-New-Rear-Luggage-Rack-Assembly-1983-1987-/191753525109?hash=item2ca5669775:g:Q3YAAOSwo6lWMQfo&vxp=mtr

Yikes that is steep, I like the design though...
I am going to make something similar with 1/2" conduit most likely but I would like 3/8" diameter better.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Crossing things off the list. Rear brake linkage and pedal set up, thanks again to Mr. E for the fancy titanium retainer.

0a1a5d98bc6eb5cc24e2a238ddbf7bfe.jpg

Chain fit up and tensioner reassembled.

5df501c5f84ba13ffa3ab6842fc58262.jpg

Found a scrap of ABS I had from the 360 and took to fixing the chain guard. Traced and cut a chunk of scrap, cleaned and smoothed the broken edges, and welded away with the soldering gun. Surprisingly easy to do and probably stronger than before. Doesn't look perfect but it'll do the trick.

0f13f89defc7111bcf83ab4a8caf02c2.jpg

c7539e3c4b5cdbd5e22ff381244188f2.jpg

Went to install the eBay petcock and it didn't come with a mesh screen. I broke open a plastic in line filter to steal the mesh.

9d8353b85de4594455a1334fac31e95a.jpg

Cut it with tin snips and drilled a tiny hole, there's that.

db87ac6f1a5d3da6097a4e4d93e37eaf.jpg

The tank is clean inside but since I don't like to run in line filters I like the idea of having one line of defense between the tank and carb.
Tank is installed and fuel line routed. I'll need to grab the correct size socket for the spark plug, it's pretty hard to access.

el barto said:
Loving your diy solutions, especially the heat shield. 8)

Thanks mate. Just using what I got lying around the shop on this build.

I swapped out the bars for a straight set I picked up on the cheap at Barber. They are a bit lower and seem to be a bit more comfortable. Still undecided on the headlight situation, I want to make a fairing outta some sheet metal.

9fb312e1e7aa352f2db4c9025c849ca2.jpg

Going to gas her up for the first start later today.

First start, success!

https://vimeo.com/188452440

I managed to mess with the clutch enough to get it working, and took it for a quick run around the block. Running kinda rough at 1/4 throttle but wakes right up above that.

Gotta go around and make sure everything's tight before another ride. Almost lost the muffler on the way back LOL.

Quick vid of the first ride. Front wheel surprised me a little bit there :D . This thing is a blast. I parked it after a ride and found a pretty good oil leak near the clutch pushrod. I'll lean it over on the side and pull the cover off tomorrow and see what's going on.

I think I need to add a hanger for the header near the footpeg, seems to be vibrating a bit too much for my liking.

https://youtu.be/jx7VXSkpuQA

advCo said:
Quick vid of the first ride. Front wheel surprised me a little bit there :D . This thing is a blast. I parked it after a ride and found a pretty good oil leak near the clutch pushrod. I'll lean it over on the side and pull the cover off tomorrow and see what's going on.

Awesome. Pretty sure these things are exactly like the 250, which means there's a big seal for the push rod that requires you to split the case to replace. PAIN. IN. THE. ASS. I luckily still have the rubber plug for mine, along with the plug for the cam chain adjuster, so I'll be able to get by. Those plugs can be hard to find.

cxman said:
that is awesome

irk said:
Awesome. Pretty sure these things are exactly like the 250, which means there's a big seal for the push rod that requires you to split the case to replace. PAIN. IN. THE. ASS. I luckily still have the rubber plug for mine, along with the plug for the cam chain adjuster, so I'll be able to get by. Those plugs can be hard to find.

Thanks fellas. And yup, they are the same. I replaced the pushrod seal and all the other oil seals when I had the engine torn down so there's no way that should be leaking. There may have been a weak spot in the mating surface between the left hand case and the main crankcases, but iirc the LH cover I ended up with had a good mating surface.

I have the cam chain tensioner plug in good shape, but the clutch adjuster cover is shot. I'm going to make a few using an old LH case and that poly I used for the shock bushings.

i may have aclutch adjuster cover if you are stuck

also have a look and make sure its not the magnesium case rot thru from teh inside near one of the screw holes

advCo said:

I think I need to add a hanger for the header near the footpeg, seems to be vibrating a bit too much for my liking.

https://youtu.be/jx7VXSkpuQA

Yeehaw

Hard starting today. Pulled the plug and it was for sure carbon fouled. Cleaned it off and got her fired up, but decided to drop the needle one slot since the plug was showing rich. After that she fired right up 2-3 kicks.

Trying to troubleshoot the situation, it idles nice and smooth but runs like shit at 1/4 throttle. Seems to be missing a lot at low RPMs but once I get to around 1/2 throttle it pulls pretty well. Going to try and borrow a timing light tomorrow and get that dialed in to rule it out.

Laid the bike on its side and pulled the stator cover off. The oil seal is dry as a bone. The culprit seems to be the rubber grommet that seals the stator wires where they pass by the clutch actuator. It seems to be a common problem spot. It looks like a depression had been made from being compressed for so many years, accompanied by a bit of shrinkage. Cleaned everything up and hit it with some Hondabond, should be good to go.

e55bc4c7d2ac644b633aba21cc3d7adf.jpg

00e5206bda4504d81dfc92055e04c744.jpg

advCo said:
Laid the bike on its side and pulled the stator cover off. The oil seal is dry as a bone. The culprit seems to be the rubber grommet that seals the stator wires where they pass by the clutch actuator. It seems to be a common problem spot. It looks like a depression had been made from being compressed for so many years, accompanied by a bit of shrinkage. Cleaned everything up and hit it with some Hondabond, should be good to go.

e55bc4c7d2ac644b633aba21cc3d7adf.jpg

00e5206bda4504d81dfc92055e04c744.jpg

bitchen totally dude you could build a motoe track in the nayboors yard eh ?
is that case a familiar piece ? great that you got bike running and its not knocking or clanking always a big relief in my book
the runninng issues do you have an foam element wrapped on the wire cage ?
new honda or at least japan made points and condenser ?
the advancer working smoothly ?
and yes timing light must be used to set it correctly while running
a spare stator cover with a window is titty la ritty for this
definately need a hanger, like just aft of footpeg
a can support strap should only be relied to steady the weight of the can you need something to stop the sideways vibration

new sparkplug cap or at least remove the resistor in the stock unit ,i have seen them fully corroded inside, looking new outside

Back
Top Bottom