Kick start problem on 1971 CL175

ewd

Go Army, beat Navy!
Hi all, just purchased a 1971 Honda CL175 which ran beautifully when I first received it. Problem is, I was kick starting it the other day(unknown to me, it was low on fuel) so it wouldn't start....I kicked it several times and now it won't turn the engine over, it just makes a clicking noise. I have to tug the kick starter back into position now. Luckily there is an electric start, but that has since crapped out and it just makes a small noise, then nothing happens(I believe the battery is low). I can still start the bike up by running a few feet with it then popping it into first gear, but that's kind of a pain. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks!

Eric

Does the kicker turn the engine at all? If not, then something is stripped on the shaft. If it does, then it sounds like the return spring is broken.

Big Rich said:
Does the kicker turn the engine at all? If not, then something is stripped on the shaft. If it does, then it sounds like the return spring is broken.

Hi Big Rich, thanks for the feedback.

It does not turn the engine over at all, just several clicking noises. I'm going to dig a little deeper into this issue in a few hours, I'll post on here any updates. Thanks again.

Not sure, but my cb200 won't kick when clutch is applied. Only in neutral. You never know...

that being said:

The axle from the kicker is directly driving the gearbox, thus the engine. Clicking noises indicate that the rings and washers on the axle have failed. Or worse. Either way, you will have to do a complete overhaul. You Could drain the oil and check for small bits 'n pieces first to (maybe) determine what has died inside your engine.

This might give you some clarity:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl175-scrambler-175-k4-usa_model541/partslist/E17.html

My guess is that the primary gear is stuck on the kicker axle. Try wacking the kicker axle GENTLY with a RUBBER MALLET and see if that does is.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom