riding and bike just started bogging and then shut off?

banditosway

So was riding and felt like bike just lost acceleration and started bogging. Just filled up so there is fuel, could this be a dirty filter or air in the fuel lines? I let it sit for 10 min and it fired up with no problem, but after about 10 min of idling it started to bogg again. Could this be the head gasket? I remember when i blew the head gasket on my truck it did similar thing like you hit the gas and it just blahhhhhhh. Anybody?

Not sure how to check that. Carbs were jetted and cleaned about 5 months ago haven't had any problems till now. how do i check if running rich?

Sounds like you got dirty fuel and something is partly blocked restricting flow.
Was delivery tanker at gas station when you filled up?
When it's pumping into underground tanks it stirs up all the crap in there, best to go elsewhere or come back a few hours later when things have settled out

I hope its just dirty fuel.. No fuel truck was there, but could have just left no idea.. Soo the best thing is to get it going and let run for awile? Sorry guys it's a 77 CB 550

i agree with pj...
also maybe your float moved or something.. would be worth cleaning your carbs, checking your filter/line and your floats.

Draining carbs 'may' work.
Put cap off an aerosol can under drain screws (make sure it doesn't have a vent hole ;) )
Drain one at a time, switch fuel ON with drain screw out and see what comes out.
If you have stock airbox, getting carbs on and off is a PITA so try it first
Also check fuel tank cap vent, they get rusty inside, WD40 may help

I just went through this with my bike. My 550 started bogging and I soon found out 2 of my cylinders were not firing. (Check your exhaust to see which ones aren't hot.) I just sprayed Carb Fluid on them to figure this out. I instantly thought my coils were bad but I was wrong. It is highly unusual for coils to go. So I checked my points and it ended up being the wires going from the points to my coils became loose. Easy fix.

It then happened again a few months later down the line and I opened up my points cap this time and found out one of my points was grounding itself out. (These two instances were not related at all). I found this out by when I started the motor with my cap off I noticed alot of sparks coming from the grounded point. Again, another easy fix was I bent the metal that was grounding it and I found that I was able to pass cars again without being scared for me life.

Hope this was helpful!

In your instance it still may be the coils because bad ones tend to not like the heat. So they would be just dandy at first but once they start to warm up is when you run into trouble.

Back
Top Bottom