Brodie's XV1100

Brodie

Gold Coast, Queensland
DTT SUPPORTER
I have recently acquired a '90 XV1100 as a present from my lovely missus. It belonged to my brother in law who had it in storage at his mothers house for the past 10 years. I have found the standard problems with a bike that has sat for so long, gunky carbs, deteriorated rubber and surface rust on flaking paint.

My plan is to get her running and reliable again to use as a daily ride, so not much customisation is going to happen. I have already replaced the handle bars with a set of clubmans facing upwards which gives the bike a much nicer feel. Because of this I will have to replace the clutch lever and master cylinder.

Spotty has told me about a front brake mod dor the Vmax that may work on the xv. For now I was planning to use the original system as my funds are limited.

I have a front tyre in my workshop which will fit but will need to purchase a rear. I was also looking at replacing the dual carb system with a single for easy access and maintenance. Anyone that has worked on an XV1100 will know how much of a pain removing the carbs can be.

72a286cc8cd496dc3f6b2e00ce7f5639.jpg

I am not a fan of chrome so I will be removing most of what I can.

My plan is to paint the wheels gloss black when I remove them to replace the tyres. I will also be removing the sissy bar due to the fact that I cannot have a passenger for a year and was planning on putting a rack in its place.

Being 6 foot I will also have to remove some foam from the seat so that I can wiggle back a little further.

Re: "Vicious" Ugly Punx XV1100

Got a bit of time to work on the bike today. Gave it a bit of a tear down to assess what needs to be done. Most of the electrics appear to be in decent shape. Looks to be un-molested which is a good sign.

I pulled the exhaust system off as well. It has a 2 to 2 system which looks like it was made for the bike. I have removed that and plan on using the upper pipe on another bike.

A friend has given me his old exhaust system which I am planning on using. It is off a M109R and is a 2 to 1 system.

I need to order new indicators, tail light, levers and fuel/vacuum lines. These will most likely be ebay specials as I am trying to keep cost down.

8b6baaf4594ae579b71063e7c0a80c2b.jpg

I am still considering replacing the bulky carb system with a single carb intake. This will clean the bike up a bit.

The front fender has a lot of faded paint and has also rusted through in a few spots. Not sure if I should just replace it or respray. Budget will dictate but more than likely a respray.

I am planning to paint most of the parts gloss black, I will be keeping the tank the original colours as it is still in good condition. I will be using red accents on the bike such as fuel lines, grips, horns, levers and such. Hopefully it does not look to tacky.

Ordered a few parts, waiting for them to arrive.

I dropped the oil in the engine and final drive. Both were black as diesel oil and both plugs had small bits of metal on them. Looks like I have a few oil changes ahead of me to get her clean again.

Not sure what to do for the paint yet. I was thinking of respraying the silver parts black.

Considering getting shorter rear shocks as well.

i'd go longer rear shocks, bring the front end rake in a bit that way, turning will be better, maybe also drop the forks an inch or two thru the clamps, also helps the steering and puts more weight on the front end for added stopping goodness. the bars you've put on should help all that too

the taillight is (i'm pretty sure) the same as vmax ones as are the indicators (also on lots of other yams of same age) so you might be able to find some cheap s/hand ebay stuff, there again brand new custom LED stuff is gonna be even cheaper (and nowhere near as arse ugly)

the stuff the other day I said about the brakes, I had a further thought, i'm pretty sure that wheel is the same one they used in the first year vmax so the R1/6 discs should indeed bolt straight on. also my member photo just over there to the left is my front wheel with the R1 discs and GSXR 4 pot calipers on, the brackets are the ones we carved out of solid alloy lump and have now been replaced when I put the hayabusa 6 pots on. if you fancy sourcing some early GSXR calipers I could send the brackets up your way. if I use the 4 pots again it'll be on one of my Hondas so i'll be making new mounts anyway. yours if you need them

whatever you do, it should piss off the 'stock is best' Ulysees club lot, so good work there

Haha thanks guys.

I have ordered a few aftermarket lights to replace the stock units which should arrive in a few weeks.

Spotty. I would be interested in those brackets. I am wondering if they will work due to the virago being leading forks. I will measure the bolt space distance once I am home and post up on that.

I have a set of 295mm shocks I was going to try on her and see how she's goes. Ultimately I would like RAMSHOX virago units built for my weight but due to funds that will be a long way off.

I shall have a look for them, since we moved everything is hidden under the house but they are there somewhere.

Thanks mate. No rush. My caliper mounts are approx. 105mm apart

Pulled the rear wheel off today. Going to give it a sand blast and a few coats of epoxy gloss black.

Got a price for a new rear tyre, $190 fitted.

f1138f8865388e1e2ebf397d85f8e70f.jpg

Did some wiring to bypass the clutch and side stand switches. No need for them other than to complicate the starter system

Stripped the carbs and gave them a clean. One was very bad yet the other was ok.

Got both rims finished as well.

https://youtu.be/69VS-XZSgj8

It's alive!

Not running very well. Back firing from the front cylinder. You can see the mist from the front carb.

But that is the first run in around 10 years, so there is something.

well done, its aliiiiive

the crap running could be the lack of air filters, from memory those things are very sensitive to such things

found the caliper mounts but the mount holes appear to be approx. 85mm apart. if you still want to give them a try PM me your address and i'll send them up

If you're going to be in the engine at all, consider doing the 6205 bearing mod. I did it on the 98 I have that had a seized camshaft.

http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16518&sid=b88d022ea93a6636be4f362ee78775bd

Hey Spotty, thanks for the offer. Not sure what I could do with them being a smaller size. I will keep them in mind though.

Hooligan, I saw that mod. When I eventually go in to the top end I will be doing that, but for now I am getting her on the road with only the work needed.

Speaking of, here is a picture of the new indicators. 4 the same to replace the 3 it had.

28907346fa6014ad2ed8bdaeb5271bb3.jpg

Still waiting on the new tail light to arrive. I traded the bulky old one for a 6 pack.

Also, graveyard shift sucks.

Just got the fuel pump cleaned out. Boy was there some gunk in there.

One step closer everyday

no worries bloke, i'll turf em back under the house for future use

nice looking indicators, are they plastic or cast alloy? ebay?

Cast. Only $12 a pair as well. They are red lenses and dual filament. Going to use the lower brightness as additional brake lights.

are red lenses legal for indicators up there or are you looking forward to roadworthy fun and games?

Back
Top Bottom