1982 Suzuki gs650e bobber thing

ryananthony96

I got a gs650 from a friends dad that hadn't run in 15 years. Never owned or worked on a bike in my life. Finally got it running and was unimpressed so I decided to bust out the angle grinder and after an adventurous year of being broke its starting to come together but would like some suggestions on gas tank mounting. I'll upload the pictures i have now but I'll put up more detailed ones of the trouble spots this coming weekend.
9165a5cbd2c69e983b0133121ad5d442.jpg
21c226ba6178d0539f0e2a6e4e63e778.jpg
c1ede3d139e2f66741f01d6acad65fe5.jpg
066992f28d8ed490033f062f1c18edda.jpg
6b10fc329d9e09ed2d2895fc87754976.jpg
b855d920cfff1714d379826a25c42808.jpg
73ae086a6ff06e103b1e1c382e2cc43d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Got everything finalized ready for final welds then she's going into paint. Should I leave the fender and tank bare steel, or go everything black and sleek?

Tank needs to be further up toward the top yoke, and maybe a bit more level IMO. GS series has a pretty unfriendly frame for this kind of thing.

advCo said:
Tank needs to be further up toward the top yoke, and maybe a bit more level IMO. GS series has a pretty unfriendly frame for this kind of thing.
It actually is a bit closer now but It can't get much further because when you turn the bars a nut hits the tank. But I actually really like how it sits up real high and almost seems to just be hanging in the back

Well just ordered all the little bullshit I need for the bike and the engine is getting a good ol tune this weekend so next time I'm home from school should be some rather dramatic updates. Stay tuned people.

I thought the tank looked a little odd sitting up like that when you look at it from the side. But when I saw you (or whoever that is) sitting on it, looks fine. Gives it a little character too. Maybe a new tank in the future but who cares. I thinks its sweet. I like the bare steel look as well. The 80s gauge cluster and idiot lights tho I am not a fan of. Sweet chop so far man. I got my hands on a kz1000, never owned a bike before either. Jeep has been priority since it's my daily and I wheel it but you have given me some inspiration to get crackin

Sent from my Z981 using DO THE TON mobile app

I like the stock gauges. It's kinda like saying " I don't give a fuck but I wanna know how fast I'm going and wanna see" HAHA

deej said:
I thought the tank looked a little odd sitting up like that when you look at it from the side. But when I saw you (or whoever that is) sitting on it, looks fine. Gives it a little character too. Maybe a new tank in the future but who cares. I thinks its sweet. I like the bare steel look as well. The 80s gauge cluster and idiot lights tho I am not a fan of. Sweet chop so far man. I got my hands on a kz1000, never owned a bike before either. Jeep has been priority since it's my daily and I wheel it but you have given me some inspiration to get crackin

Sent from my Z981 using DO THE TON mobile app
Yeah I agree with most of the stuff you said but a lot of it will be getting changed down the road I just need to finally get this sucker on the road. Like I said first time ever owning or working in a motorcycle. But thank you for the feedback. And I'm glad you decided to get going on your bike. Finished product will be rewarding Forsure!

guernz said:
I like the stock gauges. It's kinda like saying " I don't give a fuck but I wanna know how fast I'm going and wanna see" HAHA
Yeah my girlfriend agrees with you but it'll certainly sit like that for the first while the bikes running but it may change eventually

Decided to make some changes cut out the supports next to down tube and made it a single tube so the tank could sit more flat and decided to ditch the springer seat and go a different route so took my first shot at a set pan and I'd say it's not that bad still have stuff to do to the tank and seat obviously but here's a rough idea. Very glad with the changes I made let me know what you think!

Well The bike went a long time without being worked on but recently got back to it and decided to do a full new rear end. Bolt on sissy bar and fender rather than welding stuff on because I didn't know what I was doing. new fender thanks to my buddies old Kawasaki. Even made a seat rather than using an Amazon springer seat that was to small for my ass. The whole tank will go back to steel eventually. I'll post overall photos of the bike now but soon I will take picture of everything and explain what I did.
bf5326d3a7c08e4eebf2f6e90a7588ae.jpg
61e80cc7daf43f2c27341a4f74fa5e85.jpg
7dca1b7f376d60fca9bf05a8b9de9ef8.jpg
8990b43d4e1ac396b0d78b046a708063.jpg

Back
Top Bottom