www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1980 XT500 BUILD  (Read 8017 times)

Offline XS750AU

Re: 1980 XT500 BUILD
« Reply #180 on: Nov 09, 2017, 20:33:05 »
Don't have an XT500, but from your previous photo it looks like
Refer to attached photo.
Loosen screws A & B (do not remove)
Use a blade screw driver in position C to then rotate the ignition base plate to advance or retard the spark timing (not sure which way retards or advances but you will soon work it out)
If you leave enough drag on the screws A & B then you should be able to tune the timing while the motor is going, which makes it easier!
Hope this helps.
ďEngineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.Ē

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #181 on: Nov 09, 2017, 22:03:47 »
Don't have an XT500, but from your previous photo it looks like
Refer to attached photo.
Loosen screws A & B (do not remove)
Use a blade screw driver in position C to then rotate the ignition base plate to advance or retard the spark timing (not sure which way retards or advances but you will soon work it out)
If you leave enough drag on the screws A & B then you should be able to tune the timing while the motor is going, which makes it easier!
Hope this helps.

Thatís great info, thankyou I will do that,
Do you think the poping and backfiring is generally because the timing is off?

I still have a lot of problems starting the bike, but I think it may be because Iím getting used to kick start, all my other bikes are push start.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #182 on: Nov 09, 2017, 22:19:59 »
Timing will absolutely make it difficult to start and also cause the backfiring.
From looking at the witness marks on your backing plate, it looks like screw A should be somewhere in the zone marked up in BLUE. You are currently at one extreme of adjustment so I suggest you go the other way. There looks like a heavy mark at the end of the BLUE zone which is where I would move it to and then start your fine tuning.
Just crack the screws loose, so you can just move the plate by using a blade screwdriver in location "C".
Good luck
ďEngineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.Ē

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #183 on: Nov 09, 2017, 22:35:33 »
Thatís great I will do that today, and repost an update, thankyou for support and information.

Now I just have to figure out how to start it more consistently in order to work on these things

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #184 on: Nov 10, 2017, 22:50:29 »
Ok guys, so I canít start the bike with first kick when itís stone cold. But itís impossible to start the bike while itís warm.

I have adjusted the timing and now while running the f mark is spot on the line While checking with the strobe light. So thatís great.  But I am wondering , does it matter that I adjusted the timing while the choke was on? Because I cannot get the bike to continue to run unless the choke is on. I think i need a larger pilot jet. I have 35 pilot but I think I should get 37.5

Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But itís impossible to start while itís warm.

Offline Mr Bernzo

« Reply #185 on: Nov 11, 2017, 00:02:22 »
Ok guys, so I canít start the bike with first kick when itís stone cold. But itís impossible to start the bike while itís warm.

I have adjusted the timing and now while running the f mark is spot on the line While checking with the strobe light. So thatís great.  But I am wondering , does it matter that I adjusted the timing while the choke was on? Because I cannot get the bike to continue to run unless the choke is on. I think i need a larger pilot jet. I have 35 pilot but I think I should get 37.5

Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But itís impossible to start while itís warm.

I don't think that adjusting the timing with the choke on should cause any problems. Sounds like your fueling is out because of the air filter and exhaust. Are you sure that carb idol circuit is clean and not blocked?
Try adjusting the primary air screw fully in and fully out and see if it will start and run.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Smell that? 2 stroke...

1978 Suzuki GT185, 2012 Husky TE449, 2003 Suzuki SV1000

Offline hillsy

« Reply #186 on: Nov 11, 2017, 00:42:40 »

Also does anyone know why, I can start the bike when its stone cold. But itís impossible to start while itís warm?

Are you using the hot start button on the carb when you are trying to start it hot? It holds the throttle slightly open which helps when the engine is warm.

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #187 on: Nov 11, 2017, 00:43:09 »
I don't think that adjusting the timing with the choke on should cause any problems. Sounds like your fueling is out because of the air filter and exhaust. Are you sure that carb idol circuit is clean and not blocked?
Try adjusting the primary air screw fully in and fully out and see if it will start and run.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ok great I will try that,
My carb is definitely clean, it has been hydro blasted and cleaned multiple times. In side and out.   

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #188 on: Nov 11, 2017, 01:12:22 »
Ok so I finally got it started just now, good thing is that the popping and backfiring is gone.
I did give it a few small revs and it was ok with small revs, but if I twisted the throttle a bit more it sounded like it wanted to cut off.
It finally did cut off when I turned he choke off.
I have a question for the hot start button, obviously you turn the button, but once you start the bike, would you turn it back to zero? What should the setting be for the hot start button?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Itís heating up in Melbourne and I want to be doing monos down the street! Cheers.

Offline teledan

« Reply #189 on: Nov 11, 2017, 01:18:54 »
It is a button that you press and it just slightly opens the throttle valve, then if you were to rotate the throttle the opposite direction it will push the button back up.