71 Indignant CB175 - Complete (w/ pics)!!!

Re: 71 Indignant CB175

I got around to doing some more work on the bike. My friend and I worked to put the forks back together only to find that the fork seals the dealership had given me were wrong. So, I'm going to get some new ones tomorrow if this other Honda shop has them in stock.

Since I wanted to accomplish something tonight after the dramatic failure of our effort with the fork seals, we put the steering stem back together. I was missing the top steering cone race, but luckily I had a spare steering stem with said race. I wasn't sure how it all fit together since I was missing that piece initially and couldn't find squat on what order to put it together so here are pictures for the next poor sap that didn't detail the tear-down.

img_0691.jpg

img_0692.jpg

img_0694.jpg

img_0693.jpg

Also, since I need to grab some new fork seals, I was thinking of getting new piston rings. However, stock rings are 100 smackers...:eek: So...skip honing and new rings and just put it back together??? 8) The bike's odo reads 10296 miles.

So another question... The spokes turned out great after cleaning, but the nipples look like shit. Does anyone know of a coating or paint that I can cover them with that won't be ruined by adjusting??

As soon as I get the head back from the shop, I will go get a 'Dingle-berry' to hone the cylinders and get the engine back together.

It was such a gorgeous day in sunny Cali that I couldn't bring myself to sit inside and work. So I took off from work and got shit done on the bike.
I finished cleaning up what I have of the engine, put new gaskets in, new bolts on, and new front sprocket.
img_0696.jpg

Then I put another coat of paint on the front forks, painted the headlight ears, and some more misc brackets and what not.
img_0695.jpg

I found myself running out of things to do so I dove into my parts bin and grabbed the old gauges, took them apart and shined em up. Its amazing what a little Mother's and Scratch Doctor will do.
img_0697.jpg

Back to waiting...

Just wanted to subscribe to this. Also, what kind of paint are you spraying? Rattle cans? You're parts and frame are looking great. I was just fabbing up my battery tray tonight, when I get that finished gotta start thinking about painting the frame.

For the rings, You could look on ebay, that's where I got mine. I also have a set of .25mm over bore rings if you are interested.

dcbryan said:
Just wanted to subscribe to this. Also, what kind of paint are you spraying? Rattle cans? You're parts and frame are looking great. I was just fabbing up my battery tray tonight, when I get that finished gotta start thinking about painting the frame.

Thanks!

Rattle can appliance epoxy over a coat of primer. Works great and holds up to chips extremely well with enough coats.

Foxriderar77 said:
For the rings, You could look on ebay, that's where I got mine. I also have a set of .25mm over bore rings if you are interested.

Everything that I find on ebay is all the bored over sets. Will the .25mm bore rings work with stock pistons and just a lightly honed cylinder? If so, pm me a price and we can work something out. I'm not looking to spend a lot of time on the engine right now, but I would prefer to replace what I can without spending too much time or money on it.

I ordered new fork seals from bike bandit. They sent me what I already had.... :mad:

So, one of two things is going on. Either what Honda has listed for seals for this year bike is wrong, or my forks aren't from this bike. I'm going to go with the former so I can blame someone else. The seal dimensions are 31x43, ID and OD. The ID is correct, the outside is wrong. It needs to be smaller. Every time, and no matter which way the seal is orientated, the seal gets ruined trying to hammer it into the fork tube with some PVC and a mallet.

If someone has any insight into this please let me know. There is a slight chance that I'm doing it wrong... ???

Edit: I am correct. The 71 CB175 has a 31x41 fork seal. Bikebandit, and Honda dealerships everywhere are wrong...

Another edit: There are no aftermarket seals for this bike. You have to buy OEM. Honda part number: 91255-464-003.

SeekingZero said:
I ordered new fork seals from bike bandit. They sent me what I already had.... :mad:

So, one of two things is going on. Either what Honda has listed for seals for this year bike is wrong, or my forks aren't from this bike. I'm going to go with the former so I can blame someone else. The seal dimensions are 31x43, ID and OD. The ID is correct, the outside is wrong. It needs to be smaller. Every time, and no matter which way the seal is orientated, the seal gets ruined trying to hammer it into the fork tube with some PVC and a mallet.

If someone has any insight into this please let me know. There is a slight chance that I'm doing it wrong... ???

Edit: I am correct. The 71 CB175 has a 31x41 fork seal. Bikebandit, and Honda dealerships everywhere are wrong...

Another edit: There are no aftermarket seals for this bike. You have to buy OEM. Honda part number: 91255-464-003.

Oh shit dude! I am having the same issue with fork seals for my 71 cl175 that I am building up. Just ruined one from a purchase off of ebay and just ordered another set from a seller on ebay that I have bought seals from in the past to three other bikes and they were always dead on.
I was thinking the same as you. I thought someone else had switched the forks out. Now I may have just wasted more money( for the time being by buying more seals)

Thanks for the info.

Glad I could help! I have since notified BikeBandit. They now only stock OEM seals for anything older than the '73's. So now I'm waiting on the credit to my account to order those.

Mini-update:

Still working on the tank. Got it mostly stripped. I am currently 'Zepping' the inside to clean it out before sealing, then I will give the outside a light sanding and proceed to paint.
img_0701.jpg

Also, would anyone happen to know what kind of petcock goes on here...
img_0700.jpg

I bought the tank off ebay and though it was listed as a CB175 tank, I have a hard time believing that. So without knowing the exactly tank I can't find a petcock to fit to it, because the one I currently have does not.

So I solved my own problem. This tank is for a CB450, and I found many petcocks for it on Ebay.
Does anyone need a petcock for a CB175 tank?

Another update:

Got my "vintage" fuel line today. Cloth-braided 5mm line that also fits my Jetta, win-win.
fuelline.jpg

The tank sealer and VHT engine paint comes tomorrow. Yes, I broke down and decided to go ahead and paint the engine. I figured I have the time and I just can't bring myself to leave something unfinished. More to come, stay tuned!

Some essentials came in the mail and I was able to do some more work.

Zepped and sealed the inside of the tank with POR-15.
img_0725.jpg

Decided to paint the nipples to give them a nice sparkle and keep them from rusting.
img_0726.jpg

img_0728.jpg

img_0729.jpg

A little sneek peak. Next, I have to prep the engine for paint and reassemble.
img_0730.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Is nice, velly nice! lol keep the pic's coming.....

Can anyone help me out with the assembly of the swingarm to the frame? I have put everything back together as it should be in the order its suppose to be, I think. However, when I tighten the locknut up to the place where it begins to "lock", that is to tight and the swingarm won't move without force.

Any ideas?

Yep, and yep. I might need to take it apart and file the paint away from the joints that touch. Hopefully that will help. Any other ideas, just shout em out.

Got the forks on, just need the cylinder boots now.
img_0731.jpg

It sounds like something is missing? I would say that the parts you should have as a minimum for your type of swingarm (internal fit), 4x flanged bush, 2x spacer shaft, 1x main bolt, 1x main nut, to me it sounds like the spacer is missing so when you tighten the main bolt its causing the swinger to bind up? just a theory.

Hope this helps, I think it has to be the spacer shaft at fault? part 12

Attachments

• Image.gif
    Image.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,663
Back
Top Bottom