1979 Honda cb650z cafe build

Hey Kemp, thanks for the videos. They are awesome!!! can't wait to get my bike started up and hear her scream. Just curious, on your 650 engine, did you do any internal work??

Kemp said:
Yes, the same. I've been busy since with more quite a few more pipes but not on website yet (CB750/900/1100, Kawasaki Z1/KZ900/1000/1100 etc). I can send you a dyno run pic/audio of my 650, really screams!

Kevin, no mods to the engine other than pods. The engine had 25,000kms on it when I bought the donor bike. Head was off it so I did a home valve job and put it back together. That's exactly how it was when we developed the pipe and then dynoed the beast.

NICE!! Mine is freshly rebuilt stock. I just ordered up the CR29 carbs, that should help move some air thru there. I am sooooo looking forward to starting mine up, soon I hope!! I will get some video for you. Hope I can find a dyno shop that's into bikes. Not many options down here in Halifax, NS.

Kemp said:
Kevin, no mods to the engine other than pods. The engine had 25,000kms on it when I bought the donor bike. Head was off it so I did a home valve job and put it back together. That's exactly how it was when we developed the pipe and then dynoed the beast.

so I started disassembling the bike to get things painted, powder etc. Found out why my bike was running so rough......looks like both coils were cracked and one wire was completely off, likely not running on all 4 cylinders. That's what it felt like when I drove it awhile back.

Attachments

• broken wire.JPG
    broken wire.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,487
  • cracked coil 2.JPG
    cracked coil 2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,416
  • cracked coil.JPG
    cracked coil.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,450
also bought a small hand held soda blaster and started cleaning up the engine to get it ready for paint. Here's a tip, do this outside, that shit gets everywhere. Doesn't hurt anything just makes a mess. lol I will be finishing it outside.

I really liked the look of the engine paint on my Harley Fat Bob so went to the dealer and picked up a couple of cans of the Textured Black. This stuff is not cheap at $36 (Cdn) a can, that's like $3 US, lol. Anyway got 2 cans and will paint engine as soon as I get it cleaned up this weekend.

I haven't decided on the frame yet, I'm tempted to glass bead it, sand it with emery cloth then clear coat it. 90% of the builds out there paint the frame black. If I don't like it I can always bead it again then paint it. Tank and seat pan are a surprise.......lol, cause I haven't decided yet on colors.

I received a box in the mail yesterday and can honestly say I felt like a 3yr old at Christmas. I sat and starred at my new CR29's for hours. Man, they are just beautiful. No pic as I cautiously wrapped them back up and tucked the box away for safe keeping. Moto Gadget stuff was pretty cool too. Thanks to the crew at Dime City Cycle for the Holiday discount and getting my order out to me asap.

really just have the Fox rear shocks left to order, was hoping for Cognito Moto to have a discount at Christmas / New Years time, but nothing. With our shitty Cdn dollar anything will help.

So things are moving along nicely. Got my engine all cleaned up and painted. Went with the HD textured paint, turned out really nice and the stuff is very easy to use.

I decided to fit the CR's on. Bought new rubber isolators, holy crap they were a small fortune but I didn't want to chance using the old ones with these carbs.

Also bolted up the stainless headers.

Of course, I sat and starred at it for a couple of hours.

I think it came out pretty good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,188
kmcphee said:
So things are moving along nicely. Got my engine all cleaned up and painted. Went with the HD textured paint, turned out really nice and the stuff is very easy to use.

I decided to fit the CR's on. Bought new rubber isolators, holy crap they were a small fortune but I didn't want to chance using the old ones with these carbs.

Also bolted up the stainless headers.

Of course, I sat and starred at it for a couple of hours.

I think it came out pretty good?

beautiful!!

Also ordered a new Calfab aluminum swing arm. Measured everything up and spoke with Chris at MotoGp Werx. Ordered the CB550 swing arm. Should be here anyday now. The pivot bolt width is the same as the 650 but I'm a bit concerned about the bolt itself. Guess we will find out soon. Once I get it I will compare with the stock 650 arm. Length of this arm is shorter by maybe an inch, I can live with that. Width where the tire / rim slide in is the same.

Pics are stock photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,254
kmcphee said:
Also ordered a new Calfab aluminum swing arm. Measured everything up and spoke with Chris at MotoGp Werx. Ordered the CB550 swing arm. Should be here anyday now. The pivot bolt width is the same as the 650 but I'm a bit concerned about the bolt itself. Guess we will find out soon. Once I get it I will compare with the stock 650 arm. Length of this arm is shorter by maybe an inch, I can live with that. Width where the tire / rim slide in is the same.

Pics are stock photos.

This is going to look amazing when done!

Swing arm arrived a couple of days ago, took some time to mock things up to get a look. I'm really liking the beefy look and the added performance should match the front half of the bike now, just have to order up the Fox shocks.

As far as fitment goes with this cb550 arm vs my 650 frame, almost a bolt in, looks like the 650 pivot bolt and bushing will fit in the bronze bushings, maybe a slight honing on the bronze, not sure yet. Have to figure out grease nipple locations for the pivot and drill / tap. The rear wheel is likely going to need a new spacer machined up, its from a 750.

The 1" shorter arm is ok but I find it pushes up the rear of the bike, will have to consider this when ordering the rear shocks. Might go slightly shorter to bring the back down a bit. At 5' 6" I don't want to be tippy toe on this thing. LOL

Thanks for checking in, getting closer !!!!!

Attachments

• swing arm 6.JPG
    swing arm 6.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,212
  • swing arm 5.JPG
    swing arm 5.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • swing arm 3.JPG
    swing arm 3.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,135
  • swing arm 1.JPG
    swing arm 1.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,154
this thing is just way to cool. ive enjoyed watching the progress man! going to be sweet when its done!!! Swinger really looks at home on there

Nice! the swingarms on these old UJM are a easy place to make a big improvement. Since you are going to order some shocks I might suggest running your trail/rake numbers to see where you are at before committing. Don't forget that the front end has shortened your wheelbase as well, so you might want to error on a longer trail value if possible to compensate.

Just seeing this. Very nice job sir! I'm impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honda is looking great, especially the motor. I like the wrinkle black. Had it on my HD, tough to clean at times, but looks great with all the bits of shiny accent.

Got the swing arm all bolted up now. Ended up just ordering off ebay a used 550 swing arm bolt. Everything fit perfectly and now no need to install grease points, there on the ends of the bolts. I might swap these out for a more standard zerks fitting. Still have to figure out the rear wheel spacer. Just going to machine the spacer I have now once I get the chain etc all lined up.

Did a bit of welding on the rear section of the frame. Sorry no pics yet. Filled in the frame sections where I cut them off. Little bit of grinding and it looks like factory again.....hahaha Also made up a tray for the battery to mount to under the rear of the seat.

Getting closer!!!!

so my name is Kevin M. and I have an addiction........................... ;D

Thought I was getting closer to getting this bike done but decided to convert the rear brakes to disc. Ordered the Cycle X kit. Might have to get a machine shop involved to make this fit my swing arm. Got it installed but have to get engine back in to line up the chain so I can have the spacers made. Kit came with spacers for a 750 but my swing arm was for a 550, slight difference on the width at the tire.

Also just waiting on the rear master to arrive so I can fab up a bracket.

The kit is really nicely made and dealing with the guys at Cycle X was a breeze!!!

I had a number of reasons to go in this direction. With the swing arm and the 160 tire I couldn't make the brake stay bracket work without bending one, tire was in the way. Also would have had to extend the bake lever to work. Also would've had to fab the linkages to make this work.

Really the biggest reason was purely aesthetics, this kit is just way too cool. With the modern front end and other pieces on the bike now it just made sense.

Hope you likey!!

Attachments

• rear disc.JPG
    rear disc.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,327
  • rear disc 2.JPG
    rear disc 2.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,429
  • rear disc 3.JPG
    rear disc 3.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,448
so I'm finally making some progress. Bike is now disassembled and frame getting prepped for paint. Tank and seat pan colors chosen. They are also getting ready for paint. I'm really looking forward to getting to final assembly and seeing the colors come together. Having never built a bike before I can say its been a lot of fun and frustration at the same time. Waiting for parts to arrive so you can fit, make more decisions and proceed to the next thing. My goals have changed with this bike starting with just painting and driving to a full blown custom, lol, but I guess that's how its goes when you get the bug. I don't have any new pics to post but soon I will have the pieces back and post a few little teasers.

I appreciate all the great comments along the way, thanks again!!

just getting caught up on some posts, life's been very busy. Pics of frame with electronics tray welded in before powder coating.

Attachments

• electronics tray welded in.JPG
    electronics tray welded in.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 910
  • underside of tray.JPG
    underside of tray.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 816
  • frame ready for powdercoat.JPG
    frame ready for powdercoat.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 850
  • battery tray 1.JPG
    battery tray 1.JPG