Farm boy’s Rattle-can Racer

johnu said:
Any Mig is rubbish for pipes, great for tacking but oxy or tig is good for the welding part. Here is one i did with oxy.

*and with only 10 years of practice you can too!

John, you tease haha. Gotta be my favorite build thread here.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290
Those pipes are a work of art!

I know mine won’t look good, they just need to pass my 20/20 test.
Look good from 20 feet, and last for 20h.
They’re going to be hidden by the fairing/belly pan anyway so the back end it all that counts, and i can always stick weld it.

farmer92 said:
*and with only 10 years of practice you can too!

John, you tease haha. Gotta be my favorite build thread here.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290
Those pipes are a work of art!

I know mine won’t look good, they just need to pass my 20/20 test.
Look good from 20 feet, and last for 20h.
They’re going to be hidden by the fairing/belly pan anyway so the back end it all that counts, and i can always stick weld it.
Haha stick sounds like fun on 20 gauge ;D

I kind of want an O/A set up. Just for the little stuff I might mess with around the house. It’s the only kind of welding I’ve had any experience with at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I trained as a silversmith so welding over there is called soldering. So I guess I've kinda welded. On a tiny, non tinted-visor-down-sparks-flying kinda way. I want to try the tinted-visor-down-sparks-flying kinda way next.

The Jimbonaut said:
I trained as a silversmith so welding over there is called soldering. So I guess I've kinda welded. On a tiny, non tinted-visor-down-sparks-flying kinda way. I want to try the tinted-visor-down-sparks-flying kinda way next.

Welding and soldering are not the same, no matter where you are from. Totally different processes.

slikwilli420 said:
Welding and soldering are not the same, no matter where you are from. Totally different processes.
You might want to read his statement again. Comprehension isn't your strong suit. Jewelry soldering utilizes temperature above 1700°, like welding, and totally unlike soldering of circuitry. You're also welding like metals without the use of a second metal with a lower melting point as typical soldering would be done.

slikwilli420 said:

Yeah, no I get that. Funny. I think maybe you missed what I was driving at but no matter. ;D

I’d like to note that the french language uses the verb “souder” for both soldering and welding.

The Jimbonaut said:

You’re welcome to pop by sometime and give it a try if you ever have something you want to weld.

Just stay away from those canadian tire welders, for the love of god don’t do it.

That's a very generous offer my man, thanks - may well take you up on that this summer. If memory serves me well (doesn't always and that's a fact) you're Eastern Township way - I try and spend as much time down there as I can come riding season. Love the roads around Pigeon Hill. And likewise, if you find yourself in Montreal give me a shout.

Thanks again - on a morning like this two wheel time doesn't look too far away at all.

irk miller said:
You might want to read his statement again. Comprehension isn't your strong suit. Jewelry soldering utilizes temperature above 1700°, like welding, and totally unlike soldering of circuitry. You're also welding like metals without the use of a second metal with a lower melting point as typical soldering would be done.

Comprehension is fine, fuck you very much. I am aware of the similarities and differences of the process, just wanted to point out that one was not the other and vice versa.

slikwilli420 said:
Comprehension is fine, fuck you very much. I am aware of the similarities and differences of the process, just wanted to point out that one was not the other and vice versa.
Haha. Funny. If you could comprehend his statement, you wouldn't have felt that need. He did not say they were the same thing. He said they were called the same thing. He actually pointed it out for you.

Speaking of language and misinterpretations, in the US sticking two pieces together with bronze filler is commonly called brazing and in the UK it's called bronze welding. Brazing is a process where parts are stuck in a furnace to get hot and then the brass is applied which is how bike and motorcycle frame lugs used to be attached.

Words have meaning. Just not always the same meaning in different contexts.

http://www.kepston.co.uk/furnace_brazing.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSIOgI2NDCw

teazer said:
Speaking of language and misinterpretations, in the US sticking two pieces together with bronze filler is commonly called brazing and in the UK it's called bronze welding. Brazing is a process where parts are stuck in a furnace to get hot and then the brass is applied which is how bike and motorcycle frame lugs used to be attached.

Words have meaning. Just not always the same meaning in different contexts.

http://www.kepston.co.uk/furnace_brazing.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSIOgI2NDCw
Bronze or braze welding, my favorite process both to perform and to look at 8)
Oh, and it is so much easier if you use sifbronze rod too!

Where are you sourcing SIFbronze rods? They are from the UK and I could not locate any here. I have tried flux coated rods and they just seem to run everywhere when hot. Our local welding shop has Silicon bronze rods but not nickel bronze.

And what flux do you use? Gas, paste?

teazer said:
Where are you sourcing SIFbronze rods? They are from the UK and I could not locate any here. I have tried flux coated rods and they just seem to run everywhere when hot. Our local welding shop has Silicon bronze rods but not nickel bronze.

And what flux do you use? Gas, paste?

Just stash some in my case when I make my trips to the UK ;)

Bugger. :-[

That makes a lot of sense though. I need to do that next time I am over there.

Back
Top Bottom