73 CL125s: Billiwhacker

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I'm not sure when I'll get the forks apart... probably in the next two weeks or so... I will inspect. Should I go ahead and assume the springs/rear shocks are shot since the bike has sat for so long? A custom setup is a bit out of the budget, but I see that there are plenty of sets available on ebay.

Also, as far as I know the 100s and 125s are identical besides about 23cc!

max,
You're CL125 reminds me So much of my CB125 that I bought back in Aug.'14 from a poor dirt farmer down south of Birmingham,AL. I bought the bike on CL from a few states away after only looking at a couple pics on the add and taking the guy's word for it "all good..." ::) "it only has 6000 miles on it" :D ???
I told him I'd buy it because he has the title in his name.I went down and looked at it :eek:... and decided I'm going to fully restore it over the Winter in my 4th flr. apt. The bike sat for 25+ yrs totally neglected and in need of everything.I finally have it 98% complete and it's on the road as a daily driver;it's an 81',the first yr. they came out w/ CDi,and wouldn't you know it but it needs a new CDi module... I Hope that's the Last part !
I did enjoy the 'Journey' though :D

Very cool! So far my experience working on 125's has been enjoyable, not to mention perfect for my lack of prior wrenching experience.

Here's a pic of the engine vin that I just scraped some dirt off. 154th CL engine produced. Pretty cool.

0GNDgYK.jpg

Yes ! That's a very early one. 8) :)
I've been working as a foreign M/C repairman for many years and enjoy owning and wrenching on lot's of different ones.
I hope you finally come to the point where it's fully restored to original and being used by you as a daily driver;they get Great fuel mileage 8) that's why I have my bike.
I think you might get a large U-lock and keep it with you wherever you go so no one steals that Vintage beauty.

Yep! I ride my 75 CB125s just about every day... That thing is cherry, and I'm pretty protective about locking it and parking where I can see it. I'm also using it as reference in case I can't figure out what I'm doing on the scrambler 8)

Okay so here's another question-

In installing my new piston rings, the top ring doesn't have a marking to indicate which way I should put it in. How can I determine which way to install it? Or does it not matter?

maxDTM said:
Okay so here's another question-

In installing my new piston rings, the top ring doesn't have a marking to indicate which way I should put it in. How can I determine which way to install it? Or does it not matter?

The top ring should have a concave surface on(on the side that faces up) one side.. if it doesn't then it doesn't matter.

I'd have to hold that ring to inspect it to see..,sometimes pics(these are decent pics !)don't give you enough; but the side that's more 'dished'/concave will be the top.The side that looks the most 'squared-off' will be the bottom.I'd like to know if those are oem stock Honda rings ?

Yeah I really can't get any side to look more concave than the other no matter how I hold this thing! These are not OEM rings. Got em from here. I may contact the company tomorrow if I'm still unsure.

max,
Do you know anyone who might have any parts for CB125S models (78'-82')such as an 82'(dk. blue model yr.)fuel tank,78-79' stock carb. or a CDi module ? I have a collection of parts that's been into my(81') bike. :D

grcamna5 said:
max,
Do you know anyone who might have any parts for CB125S models (78'-82')such as an 82'(dk. blue model yr.)fuel tank,78-79' stock carb. or a CDi module ? I have a collection of parts that's been into my(81') bike. :D

Unfortunately not, sorry! Though I'm happy to report that my exhaust pipe came in the mail. It's from a CL100, since CL125 pipes are near impossible to find. The 100's were chrome coated while the 125's were just painted, meaning most of them are rusted to shit. Apparently the 100 pipe has a different tip but is otherwise the same. I'm hopeful this won't mess up the jetting, but right now anything to get it started is great.

2qvZPAf.jpg

By the way--that rusted away pipe I just mentioned? Well we finally got the damn valves out of the head. I couldn't find a valve spring compressor at any of the local auto part stores, so I used a c-clamp with a cut piece of wood and a magnet to remove the cotter. The intake valve came out nicely, but the exhaust valve needed to be coaxed out... With a hammer.

zpju3B7.jpg

Very gross. We're gonna soda blast the hell out of this head this afternoon. If anyone has advice on getting all the crud out of the head I would appreciate it.

Nice looking CL pipe 8) That head must have been sitting for TOO many years w/ water in it;I'd get it sand blasted and see the condition of the guides,etc. You might consider getting a replacement cylinder head..,if the valves guides can't be removed;I would replace the guides no matter what and the valve seats should be checked to see how badly pitted they are.I wonder if someone here has a rebuilt head for you ?

New/old heads are a dime a dozen on ebay.................well, there's quite a few.

I would definitely consider replacing that head.

Yeah man it was just nasty up in that head. We did some blasting this afternoon... Intake looks pretty good but exhaust is still very gunky and could use another round. Not to mention the spark plug is still stuck in there! Oy vey.

cyVAVtO.jpg

voz0dir.jpg

AW7oUzR.jpg

I was hoping I wouldn't have to get another head, so I sure hope it cleans up... But yeah I dunno. A user here offered me a 100 head. Can anyone confirm if the 100 and 125 used the same head?

Those valve seats are rust-pitted very deep,I wouldn't use that head unless you have the valve seats replaced,that plus guides... $$. :eek: I would get a low mileage used head if it was me;I'm not sure if the CB/CL100's use the same head or not,they probably do.The best way to tell is to go on to one of those online parts ordering places like motogrid.com and see if the 2 different bikes(72' CB/CL100 vs. 73' CB/CL125)have the same part # for the valves on both bikes and if so you can certainly use the CB100 head.

CB100s and CB125s with the one piece head have different size valves. If you are replacing the head, look for a later 125 two piece head it has larger valves and the ability to mod for more power. This guy has some very interesting thoughts on performance (http://www.millervintagecycle.com/buildinga125classicmx.html)

The CB100 models and CB125 models w/ the one-piece head have the same valves,I just checked the online parts description break-downs..exact same part numbers for all the one-piece heads.You can use the CB/CL100 head on your CL125.

Back
Top Bottom