CB350F cafe

bored

Have already done some work on this bike, start was a pretty beat up cb350f 1973, stripped it down and now putting the pieces together to get the final look, welding brackets etc. before I tear it down again.

Attachments

• cb3502.jpg
    cb3502.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 259
Got it back from the paintshop so now all the assembly and all mistakes have to be sorted:)

Attachments

• cb3503.jpg
    cb3503.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 229
  • cb3504.jpg
    cb3504.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 226
Ahh memories, great little bikes these and fairly rare too especially over here in UK she certainly got the clean look liking the gold parts might pinch that colour combo for my new project keep the updates coming in for the finish bud .( what front end you running there the disc looks better than the standard set up)?

Nice project. The shocks look long though - or more specifically the swingarm droop angle looks a little steep. It may be an optical illusion of course. How much longer than stock are the shocks and how much clearance do you have between the chain and top of the swingarm?

very clean!! also curious about that front brake set up----and transferable it might be to a 400F....

teazer said:
Nice project. The shocks look long though - or more specifically the swingarm droop angle looks a little steep. It may be an optical illusion of course. How much longer than stock are the shocks and how much clearance do you have between the chain and top of the swingarm?

And the top of that tire and the hoop when the shock's compressed...?

Chain clearance is now 15mm at the top of the swingarm, I have to increase rear sprocket size to 37-38 teeth, from the 33 teeth that is on the cb450t rear wheel.

The shocks are 340mm instead of the 330mm that was on.
I think stock shocks is around 320mm so total increase is about 20mm.

Clearance of the top of the rear wheel to the hoop when bottomed out is 20mm.

Front end is a 41mm NT650 Bros with a cb500 19" wheel, disc is a 316mm also Honda Bros.
The 4-pot Nissin caliper from the bros hit the spokes, might work with the floating 2-pot from a nt650 hawk but im not sure, I will use a 2-pot floating brembo from a NTV650V it is not bolt on, so need to make a bracket.

To my eye--the scale of the individual bits (fairing, tank, seat) all work really well----nothing overbears anything else. Nice balance and nicely done.

What if / any way to drop the fairing an inch or so? Get that bottom edge of the fairing to line up with the bottom edge of the tank?

noobguy said:
Is the fairing custom made? If not, where can I order one?

I bought the fairing from ebay....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-3-4-Headlight-Fairing-Windshield-For-Matt-Cafe-Racer-Drag-Racing-Viper-Class-/121988177998?hash=item1c670fe04e:g:irsAAOSwxvpXOYno

tattoo said:
To my eye--the scale of the individual bits (fairing, tank, seat) all work really well----nothing overbears anything else. Nice balance and nicely done.

What if / any way to drop the fairing an inch or so? Get that bottom edge of the fairing to line up with the bottom edge of the tank?
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes I can drop the fairing no problem. Since the fairing is wider in the base than the tank, the line up of them only can be done in certain angles, on that photo i am sitting down.
The seat is not properly attached in the front yet, the base of the seat should line up with the tank.

So question is, line up the fairing when standing up or line up horisontally which in that case would be it looks lower than the rest. If not viewed from a distance.
Feedback is appreciated.

bored said:
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes I can drop the fairing no problem. Since the fairing is wider in the base than the tank, the line up of them only can be done in certain angles, on that photo i am sitting down.
The seat is not properly attached in the front yet, the base of the seat should line up with the tank.

So question is, line up the fairing when standing up or line up horisontally which in that case would be it looks lower than the rest. If not viewed from a distance.
Feedback is appreciated.

In the end, "just right" is according to your eye---that look (from whatever angle) that makes your heart skip a beat. I suppose though too that if trying to adhere to those "classic, cafe design rules of thumb" the angle that tends matter most is from straight on, not from a standing up view. Totally understand and appreciate too that it's got to look right from the front and rear too....

This is what makes all this so fun/challenging/all-consuming eh---getting it "just right". Striving for that that elusive balance!!

The bike is looking great - you're in that final tweaking mode now. Anxious to see how this plays out.

Back
Top Bottom