Another $300 '81 CB750c build

BlueGoat

First off, this is my first motorcycle build so any/all guidance is appreciated.

Started out looking for a cb350 for a cafe build. Basically a small get around town bike. Ended up with a '81 CB750c, 10k mi., clean title, and all the parts I plan to use were there with plenty parts to sell or trade.

Got it home, put some fresh gas in and charged the battery. Started right up so I took it for a ride around the yard. After a couple laps I pulled it into the barn and started removing the fluff.

Current plan is to gather all the part for a mock-up to get the look I want. Once I'm happy it'll get a complete tear down for paint and rebuild/update the suspension and engine.

This may be a slow build but I'm thinking do it once & do it right. I've got lots of time but I want to keep some cash in my pockets.

Pics to follow in a day or two.

Sent from my XT1585 using DO THE TON mobile app

New clubman bars show up today. Not sure they'll make the final build but their cheap and it's a starting point to check riding position. Thinking I may like a low rise bar more as it'll be more like my 599 (Hornet).

BlueGoat said:
New clubman bars show up today. Not sure they'll make the final...

My .02 - I don't think I would want clubmans on the C unless you are going full rearsets, F/K tank, and raise the rear frame at least 2". Unless your 5'6" or something I guess.

The motocross bend fit the proportions perfectly with a 32" width. I even tried out a 28" and it looked and felt strange.

I did a build this last year on a 79 cb750f. If you have any questions hit me up. I can give you a list of performance mods to squeeze a little more hp and reliability.

BlueGoat said:
First off, this is my first motorcycle build so any/all guidance is appreciated.

Started out looking for a cb350 for a cafe build. Basically a small get around town bike. Ended up with a '81 CB750c, 10k mi., clean title, and all the parts I plan to use were there with plenty parts to sell or trade.

Got it home, put some fresh gas in and charged the battery. Started right up so I took it for a ride around the yard. After a couple laps I pulled it into the barn and started removing the fluff.

Current plan is to gather all the part for a mock-up to get the look I want. Once I'm happy it'll get a complete tear down for paint and rebuild/update the suspension and engine.

This may be a slow build but I'm thinking do it once & do it right. I've got lots of time but I want to keep some cash in my pockets.

Pics to follow in a day or two.

Welcome to DTT. Congrats on the DOHC 750. I understand the desire to update the styling but are you talking getting into rebuilding the engine?
post more progress pics...

When I had it running there was a rattle in the engine, I'm thinking the 35 year old tensioners are giving up. With only 10k I'm thinking I won't need to go to deep into the engine.

Got the clubman bars on last night. Mork called it, bars hit the tank. Probably flip them for now and get some drag bars later. Planing to swap to GSXR carbs so I pulled the air box & put it on the shelf.

aec06d963e8559bcf457e4322040c643.jpg

Instead of inverting the bars, have you considered indenting the fuel tank to make clearance? This is what I will be doing with my K tank to clear my clip ons. I'm going this route because I am trying to take down the profile of the hand controls in order to get a more linear figure.

BlueGoat said:
Got the clubman bars on last night. Mork called it, bars hit the tank. Probably flip them for now and get some drag bars later...[/URL]

Drag bars will probably hit as well. My low rise motocross bars barely clear with the throttle cables.

Maybe try the 750F tank on there with some low superbike bars. Keep the 4-4 pipe, it's sweet.

I've been looking for a K or F tank. Not sure where to find one locally. Probably end up getting one off FleaBay.

I was thinking about pulling the baffles out of the 4-4 pipes, cutting the megaphones back to the rear mount and adding some Db killers. The rear view with the 4-4 is kinda sinister looking the neighbors are gonna love me.

esmoojee said:
I did a build this last year on a 79 cb750f. If you have any questions hit me up. I can give you a list of performance mods to squeeze a little more hp and reliability.

Which was awesome!!! Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Progress report, 21/11/16.

Finally found an '80 F tank for a decent price, should arrive by the weekend. Also picked up a Ducati 1198 taillight.

Now I need to get some foam and carve out everything in between. I've got a couple ideas for the exhaust. Anyone know how to pull the baffles out?

New taillight was at the door when I got home. Looks like it will fit perfectly with the tail shape in my head. Basically a resto-mod with a little modern styling/lighting.

Got the new tank on, clubman's still hit. I could probably build the stops up enough with the welder. Time to start on the tail and seat.
1d7dab5c5a507958d0cbaddf4fbcc63f.jpg

09cd66e9f7284a5c5fc3a69c8376f32a.jpg

Moved into the house so I have a little heat over the winter.

Little more work done. Dropped the front about 1.5", still need to get a spacer in the forks to get some preload. Not sure about the blue, seems a bit dark to me. Just thought I'd try it and see.
12c2c75ee733e29d0f1a03203b1b369e.jpg
7789099575a2e02b08fe529e800d3925.jpg

Back
Top Bottom