Honda cb400n Cafe Brat Project

zakrov

Good Morning from Barcelona! It's a pleasure to be part of this comunity. Recently i have bought an old school Honda cb 400n 1981, that has been sittin for 15 years. Its in really good shape despite of that.. my plans are a total rebuild. Everytime that i start the bike, it expells smoke, white one, so maybe theres a problem with piston rings or with the seat valves, we'll see when i open the engine.
Like i've said i want t do a total rebuild, and i would like to imporve some areas.
Brake calipers, disc brakes
Carburatos
Coils
Anyone have another good idea??

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

zakrov said:
Good Morning from Barcelona! It's a pleasure to be part of this comunity. Recently i have bought an old school Honda cb 400n 1981, that has been sittin for 15 years. Its in really good shape despite of that.. my plans are a total rebuild. Everytime that i start the bike, it expells smoke, white one, so maybe theres a problem with piston rings or with the seat valves, we'll see when i open the engine.
Like i've said i want t do a total rebuild, and i would like to imporve some areas.
Brake calipers, disc brakes
Carburatos
Coils
Anyone have another good idea??

c8d8815e288c79c93f6313200ca5801a.jpg
24141cf096833708fc05e66cbf2a4943.jpg

Hi Zakrov, Got yourself a clean project starter there.

Before you tear it down, carry out a compression test, dry and wet (with some oil squirted down the plug hole), post up the readings so we can help spot the problem. Knowing the condition of the engine before stripping it down will help you.

I presume you used fresh gasoline and drained the engine oil. Old engine oil can become contaminated with water (condensation) which will burn like steam (white smoke), perhaps that may be the issue?

Here's an image of my friend's Honda 400 twin for motivation and ideas (my CBX550 is the other bike):

I bought the bike from thw first owner. He bought it in 1981 and them she sat for 10 years aprox. Then couple of years runing and then he stopped the bike agan for some years. The bike has just 36k on it, so i can understand that. I changed the oil filter, drain oil and i add some fresh gasoline. And all the time it smells like burned oil. What i will do is now keep the bike runing and do 1000km on it and check how much oil has eaten. Propably it will be the rubber seals form the valves. I will try to post a video of the bike when i start it and the you can see how much oil it expells

Great cafe racer! I have tought about painting the wheels. Regarding the compretiom test, i will try it and let you know the readings

Hi guys, news are coming. I've recieved all the parts, i have already rebuild the front forks, and also i've changed the stock free bearing with some new conic bearing. Hope to finish all the front work this week
- new wheel bearing
- painting wheels
- new fender
- new speedo, tacho
- indicator light
- turn signals
Will keep you inform of the procces!!

Back
Top Bottom