MY GS 400 IN DIFFERENT STAGES

Watch when you put a GS500 wheel in your swingarm - the bolts that hold the rear sprocket were sticking out enough to hit my swingarm. So instead of an offset front sprocket, you may need to have the GS500 sprocket carrier turned down a little (and cut the bolts a little shorter. None of that is a problem with a Bandit 400 wheel though.

Big Rich said:
Watch when you put a GS500 wheel in your swingarm - the bolts that hold the rear sprocket were sticking out enough to hit my swingarm. So instead of an offset front sprocket, you may need to have the GS500 sprocket carrier turned down a little (and cut the bolts a little shorter. None of that is a problem with a Bandit 400 wheel though.
Thanks for the advise, i am heading of to the motocycle junkyard tomorrow and have a look,he advertised of a 92 model bandit 400 in parts, maybe i am lucky!
I had hoped to have some progress with the bike,but i have to move out of my appartment before sunday,so i am quite occupied!
the good thing about it is that my new place is 50 km closer to my GS! :)
(less internetsurf/dreaming and more wrenching)

Forgot to mention: look around on the GSResources for a thread by Pete about tuning carbs. Granted, he has a GS450 like mine and a very custom exhaust, but the bikes are all similar and there is some GREAT info in that thread.

It is fucking hard to find stuff in GSResources ???.
Since i allready put a modern frontend i have really concidered to swap the swingarn as well.
Have to do some measurements and see what i can come up with.
Brackets for the dualshocks not needede.
(i have a welder)

Here is that thread I mentioned:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=207055

There is a LOT of info in there......

Big Rich said:
Here is that thread I mentioned:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=207055

There is a LOT of info in there......
ThAnk you wery much Rich!
I`ts added to bookmarks :) . i Will reau thru when i am done loading my home on the truck....

......WICH FAILED,cause i dont get my new key untill monday :(....
The good thing about it is that my home is in boxes and ready to move,so then i will have my garagetime after all.
Disassemble it all and take some measurements,weld a cracked peg mount and chop of the rear ones...
Have to make me a checklist when i get there.....

4 hrs of garagetime.
I DID:
-Made a workbench
-Pulled the motor out.
-Disassembled everything but the swingarm and frontend Wheels.
-Soaked everything in WD-40
-Mounted up the dualdisc
-Sanded the frame and did some filling.

To morrow (7 hrs of sleep first)
The checklist will be:
-Welding the pegmount
-Cleaning up the motor/Carbs
-Doing the final grinding and sanding (hope to get it primed to morrow night.
-Go to pick up rearwheel(hopefully)
(drink lots of tuborg,heineken and carlsberg)

Anyone have a good cleanup tip for the motor?
I am not gonna pull it a part when it is good condition as it it.
Anyways,this mornings labour on the bike has been some welding.
A cracked pegmount and an electrics tray under the seat.

Attachments

• electronics tray.jpg
    electronics tray.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 278
  • pegmount.jpg
    pegmount.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 256
Garagetime is over for 2 day!
I`ve had 2 setbacks,the first one was the great amount of time it takes to clean up the engine properly (not done yet).
The next one was that my left lower frametube had taken a hit at the sidestand bracket sometime in its life wich had made a crack alongside the tubing that again caused deep (invisible) rust,so i had to cut the whole lower frame and replace the bottom half! of Welded up the rearhoop,cut 2/3 of the rear pegmounts and plugged the tubing and weldeded it up.
Here is a pic before the pegmounts dissapeared!
Finally gonna get ready to prime and paint before the end of tomorrow!

Attachments

• DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 250
Went to this guy with a bandit 400 wheel for sale,and the old fuckup wanted 740$ for it!
I told him that he could kiss my bodys highest point when picking blueberrys!
I even offered him a complete gsxr rearend for a trade,but he refused and told me i could get 160$ in discount if we traded.... :mad:
Ebay here i come (and if i find it i`ll have it in 4-7weeks :(
Good nite folks!

Finally done doing the shitty stuff,let the fun begin!
Done cleaning and sanding the frame and bits. time to wash it of with paint thinner and get to it,and i might have a rolling chassis in some days.With new colors that is!
And my bike have been named by my 8 year old son,and its got the stunning name: SKYWALKER-LUKE SKYWALKER!
(Thats the ideal name for a bike that bearly did the ton when brand new...LOL)

Well, grabbing some lunch,so i got the opportunity to post yesterdays final doings.
-the first pic`s of my welding when i replaced the rusty frametube,and the second one is the frame before primer....

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    928.6 KB · Views: 252
I`we been thinking about rebuilding this scrambler/cafe/roadster (whatever) with a type patinated looks.,
With a black/brownish frame where the red shines thru here and there.
I was thinking in that matter to use a brush to paint the frame..... Not decided yet when i am as confused as a newly made fart in a wicker chair on what i want of the final product..
I am after all going to ride the shit out of it and mostly on gravel roads so there wont be any showfinish anyways.
I cant have a bike thats to nice to ride whenever/wherever i like to!
My bike`s my schrink ya know ;D

Well,after putting some serious effort this weekend the frame is finally primed.
I used constructionprimer on it,the ones they uses in everlasting gigantic H-beams,wich should prevent rust for about 8 years+
In a couple of hours i`m heading out to do a "dry" layer or two with dark brown gloss,and finally tomorrow morning before i go to work i will give it the first layer of black (semigloss).
Then i will find some brushes,800 grit and gently make the colors underneath barely shine thru at some places.
Here is a pic of how it sits at the moment :D
So what do you think of this creation and my ideas so far??

Attachments

• Primed.jpg
    Primed.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 236
.......Or should i leave the frame like this,just spray it with non-glossy clearcoat and just strip the paint of the gastank and wheels?
Gotta make up my mind with in 1,5,hours and thats killing me--------LOL

Just laid one coat of matte clearpaint over the primer.
Shooting one more tomorrow morning.
Will be stripping the paint of the tank and wheels and run the barre metal with the same matte clearpaint....
I am surprised how much work i`we done this weekend,some of the cleaning took ages,and the engine har only been washed and rubbed by Stewie Wonder by the look of it.
Got my selves a rearwheel FINALLY!
Got it from the norwegian craiglist (Finn.no) and the price was good compared to the last one;$240,- complete with everything.
I should have it before the week is ended!
Wont be any garage time for a while when i am moving to get closer to my son and garage.

Back
Top Bottom