Registering Out-of-State Bike in California

stoo

Hey guys,

New to the forum as well as the new owner to a '76 CB360. Got some questions, hopefully someone can provide me with some insight.

So just bought my bike (purchased in California), clean title however bike is from Indiana and I am looking to get it registered here in Southern California. The VIN # on the title matches the # on the frame however the engine # on the case is completely different. There is no emissions sticker of any sort on the frame or on the headtube area that states it is a "50 state" operational bike. The bike has no odometer but the title states around 16,000 miles however guy I bought it from completely went through it and rebuilt so it has close to 17K now (ive read cali has some odd rules about bikes having more or less than 7500 miles). Also wanted to note that bike has no front or rear turn signals and has no mirrors or horn as well. So bottom line is does anyone know if I will have any trouble registering this out of state bike in California or if anyone has been down this road and can offer their 2 cents; it would be much appreciated. I have read a lot on the CA DMV website about this topic and from what I've found it should be okay but just wanted to get any help from someone who has more knowledge on this sort of stuff.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Cheers!

You should only be concerned with the legal VIN # and that is on the frame, engine number is irrelevant. As long as you have a title you should have no issues. Be glad it is from out of state even though you bought it in Ca. If it were a Ca. bike you might be paying a bunch of back fees since it was last registered.

o1marc said:
You should only be concerned with the legal VIN # and that is on the frame, engine number is irrelevant. As long as you have a title you should have no issues. Be glad it is from out of state even though you bought it in Ca. If it were a Ca. bike you might be paying a bunch of back fees since it was last registered.

Yeah the VIN# on the title matches the # stamped onto the frame, hopefully it will go smoothly.

Thanks for the response!!

Back
Top Bottom