"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

der_nanno said:
Glad I can be of help. Should you run into packaging issues, there's also in-tank fuel pumps, which make the whole plumbing a lot easier... The ones for a Harley Sportster should do the trick in terms of flow. Unfortunately the TR1 fuel tank is too narrow, so I'll have to go for an external one on my old Turbobike.

Very helpful - grateful thanx.

Maritime - it's amazing how these things develop like they have a mind of their own.

In the past - weird projects were usually fuelled by alcohol !! Seemed like A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME - YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

Like the time when I was running a major replica car company [ Sheldonhurst Ltd ] and we all went down the pub in my Citroen CX Estate for a quick lunchtime drink [ 3 hours ].

We needed a pick up for my business - don't really know how it happened - BUT WE DECIDED IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHOP THE CX DOWN INTO A PICK UP !!! By 7.30 I went home in a rudimentary pick up ! It was finished and later became a very good bike transporter.

However, no alcohol involved this time - just the feel good factor of finally getting my health back in order [ 'ish ].

Funds will dictate if it evolves into that 60's style Cafe Racer I wanted to build or not.

And the Drag Racing ???? Been 30 years since I last raced ....................

The turbo project is definitely a goer - thanx to all for your invaluable feedback.

Plan is now for a blow through system using the Garrett GT15 - via the Weber 40DCOE and the manifolds I have already.

My pal KK is sorting out a spare engine and we're doing a barter deal on that to keep costs down !

Now then - you know the old saying - "a friend in need .......... is a pain in the ass".

Well, I'm in need of some of that help. UK based obviously.

Due to my well known lack of facilities / skills, I need some bits making / welding etc.

There's TWO PROJECTS IN FACT THAT I NEED THIS KIND OF HELP WITH

Happy to pay - not asking for freebies [ mate's rates would be good though ! ], it's just that I'm well out of the loop with local artisans. All the peeps I used / employed when I had my business are themselves retired -or dead !

Most of the parts I need are small enough to be posted / couriered and simple enough for a sketch / drawing.

There's no immediate rush - just need to get my ducks in a row.

Odd bits of alloy welding, turning a small adaptor [ alloy ] flange, turbo exhaust flange including support mounts.

There, not too proud to ask for help.

The Cut down Citroen CX estate ................ went to work in an estate car - went home with a pick up !!!

"Le Peek Erp"

Although it didn't get painted for another week.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting those parts knocked out Beach.

Love the Moroso sponsor on that Aussie Citroen, I lined up for my first road race at Moroso West Palm, my leathers fast became a wet suit after standing it up from an inside rub, got the chicken shits and drove it right into the swamp... Was still as fun as anything I've done sense :p Seems me and taking things with wheels for a swim has been a constant, some day I'll tell you the story about a C10, a curb, 50 feet of chain link fence and how good the headlights work at the bottom of a canal in south Miami ;D

Turbo :eek:

Ended up buying a generic turbo exhaust flange - probably as cheap as getting one made anyway.

Same company fabs the triangular intake [ turbo exhaust ] flange, so I'll probably get one of those as well - still arguing the price !

I have the remains of a wrecked bottom end [ casings ] and damaged barrels coming FOC thanx to Kenny on the Lonesome Twin forum - and I'll use that as the set up mule. Saves humping a complete engine around and no doubt with the accompanying damage to my newly powder coated frame ! ;) He's also loaning me a cylinder head so I can finalise the set up of the Intake / Weber / Turbo

I dropped the modified TR1 tank on [ ex. Vindicator ] just as a "whatif" - and with a bit of massaging underneath it should fit. That's the 7R / G50 'ish styled tank I was prepping.

Still a bit undecided whether to stick to the Flat Track style, or switch over to 60's Cafe Racer styling. ? ::)

Cases and head / barrels arrived today. Unfortunately too late to get it all into the shed.

Well, I HAD to unpack it ..... then I HAD to check it out ......... then I thought - hmm might as well just try the manifolds / Weber .............

It'll be in the rolling chassis by the weekend, then I can check out the packaging of the Turbo etc.

I'll just put it on the coffee table while I unpack it and check it out .............

Short manifold

Long manifold

beachcomber said:
And here's the pix of the twin plug conversion.

Mine is the next one into the jig !

Man O Man Beach, I had not heard of doing dual plugs on this motor. Very cool stuff you are doing. Glad you got the wind back in your sails.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Nice. Short mani looks very neat.

Also I have the same cabinet. Well built old thing, I keep all my bar ware and booze in it.

Brodie said:
Nice. Short mani looks very neat.

Also I have the same cabinet. Well built old thing, I keep all my bar ware and booze in it.

Yep, booze / bar ware in the top - magazines and reference books in the bottom !!

So. decided to do the mock up today - shopping can wait !

That meant turning the rolling chassis round 180 degrees .......... and the rolling chassis is longer than the shed is wide. Even with the forks and wheels out it took 30 minutes of manhandling swearing and skinned knuckles to get it done.

Why turn it round ? I need access to the turbo exhaust and mounting. Still, done now.

So I decided to give the shopping a complete swerve and carry on with the mock up. Actually didn't take that long - however, not terribly impressed with the alignment of various mountings and fixings. Would have been a right mission with a whole engine ! Before I get to it, I'll open out all the various holes / brackets.

Anyway - I'd got the long manifold / Weber mounted up yesterday and tried that first. About 3" too long enough !!!! However the shorter of the two is SPOT on - thanx KK. I've got room to get the plenum chamber in [ bolted to back of Weber ] and get a decent flow to the carb.

The oil scavenge [ turbo ] is too low and will need a scavenge pump if I am to use the original Breather canister vents. I'll definitely use one as a breather, and probably take it direct to the exhaust via a one way flame trap [ a la Dragsters ].

Other jobs that need attention. ..... A support bracket for the Weber from the head. support bracket for the turbo. Exhaust in and out looks straightforward. Even the main exhaust doesn't look too bad now I've bolted the Ex. stubs up [ thanx Hoggy ]

Shopping ..... who needs milk, bread, meat etc. anyway

CC, Maritime has it spot on. The wrecked bottom end was donated by a fellow Lonesome Twin ( KZ750 ) forum member. He bought the bike, and when he got it home discovered the motor was totally grenaded !! Looked like (to me) a rod bolt came undone and the rod flailed around taking lumps of engine casing and other parts with it !

He loaned me in the same deal the undamaged head and barrels with lump out of one liner so I can get the mock up going.

As well as my original engine, I've done a deal with the LT forum originator ( KK ) for another excellent engine. That's the one that's getting the twin plug treatment.

The engine's are truly bulletproof, massively over engineered - which is just as well given the plans for it !

Don't forget I still need a couple of NOS foggers ...........

beachcomber said:
CC, Maritime has it spot on. The wrecked bottom end was donated by a fellow Lonesome Twin ( KZ750 ) forum member. He bought the bike, and when he got it home discovered the motor was totally grenaded !! Looked like (to me) a rod bolt came undone and the rod flailed around taking lumps of engine casing and other parts with it !

He loaned me in the same deal the undamaged head and barrels with lump out of one liner so I can get the mock up going.

As well as my original engine, I've done a deal with the LT forum originator ( KK ) for another excellent engine. That's the one that's getting the twin plug treatment.

The engine's are truly bulletproof, massively over engineered - which is just as well given the plans for it !

Don't forget I still need a couple of NOS foggers ...........

Ah, that makes sense. I figured something like that but was in a hurry and didn't read enough, my bad. I have two of these motors for my build just in case. Neither will be as ambitious as yours. I always forget about the lonesome twin site. I should probably try to get a login over there and check it out again.

canyoncarver said:
Ah, that makes sense. I figured something like that but was in a hurry and didn't read enough, my bad. I have two of these motors for my build just in case. Neither will be as ambitious as yours. I always forget about the lonesome twin site. I should probably try to get a login over there and check it out again.

Hell yes - not a busy site, but plenty of knowledgeable peeps and one guy ( Kaptain Kwak ) has a huge stash of NOS and used parts. C'mon over cuz.

Originally my plan was to use the Weber 40dcoe, purely as a road bike ............ However, my past life involved tuning, building, developing race and road V8s - mainly for Drag Racing, so it didn't take long to persuade myself to take the motor a little further!

The KZ750 was never a popular bike in the UK, so they're pretty rare on the road - and even more so as a basis for a Cafe Racer / special.

Wonder what the "hole" can be if it runs so well ???

https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/6005070483.html
00Z0Z_l7m6r2uCawk_600x450.jpg

When the PO bought his bike he was told it was running OK!

He couldn't get it started so decided to pull the head. That's when he found the mayhem inside. He now has a new engine and has donated the wrecked casings to me to use as a mock up mule.

My "excellent" engine is coming from another forum member. AND I still have my original engine, which is also in excellent condition.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

I may inquire and it's a short ride to see so for $500 "ask" I may find out if it's grenaded or just something simple, these are getting some attention and I may be able to flip it and have a little fun tinkering

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom