Mikuni Carb Mount Question

DoTheTodd

Been Around the Block
I bought some Mikuni VM32 carbs for my bike and I'm trying to decide how to mount them. The stock carbs were held up on both sides by being attached to the head and the air box. Since I'm doing pods*, the carbs will only be attached to the head. Is that enough to hold them on reliably, or do I need to have another mounting point? The carbs will be attached to each other with a rod.

*Don't worry, I bought UNI filters, not cheap ebay pods

what are you using for spigot mounts on the head ?

if you have genuine mikuni spigots then they will support the carbs and pods

and why are you linking the 2 carbs with a rod?

On my CB450 I fashioned a hanger that hooked under the pod filter screw clamps that then attached to the top frame tube that prevented the weight of the carbs from pulling down on the rubber intake boots when I hit a hard bump or pothole.

if you dont have good spigot mounts just put a hanger on the cross rod

I was going to connect them with a rod just for a bit of rigidity. I also got new mikuni boots. I'll make a hanger for the rod, I just wanted to know if that was mandatory.

Not mandatory with new manifolds but it is a good idea.
When they start to droop bike will run slightly rich

I run all mine w/o extra mounts, no issues. Rubbers are quite tough. Not a bad idea to make some extra mounts though!

I figure that I'm still in the welding phase of the project and I haven't painted or coated anything, so I'll add a bracket and I'll decide later if I want to use it or not.

Back
Top Bottom