Accel coils killing my sparkplugs???

DV 750

Hi. I am new to this forum and am hoping you guys can help me. I have a CB750 K4 that I put Accel super coils on. I wired in 2 ohm resistors feeding the coils to keep the electrical draw down. The problem is that I go for a short ride on brand new sparkplugs and they seem to just short out. I'm using NGK D8ea plugs and the Accel 8.8 wires. What am I doing wrong here?

Why are you running resistors? Are you running points or Dyna? I've never run Accel super coils with a resistor. Are you running resistor caps, too?

I am still running points. I am not running resistors caps. I wired in the resistors when I switched from the stock coils to the accels. I did so after reading about others doing similar setups with other 3ohm coils to keep the draw down. It's just weird because the bike will run great and then die until I put new set of plugs in.

Are you fouling plugs? Hondaman sold (or sells?) a kit with a 1 ohm resistors per coil for Dyna and Accel coils. They bring the resistant to stock 4.5 - 5 ohms. Running resistors helps current draw and saves some battery, also keeps the points from burning out as quickly.
Shouldn't be killing your plugs unless your somehow not getting enough spark and causing plugs to foul. Have you done checks on the wiring and charging system to be sure there isn't an issue somewhere else down the line?

They dont look fouled to me. I have checked everything that I can think of. I think that there might be too much energy hitting the plugs, maybe? I really dont know. I think I will try a different set of plugs tomorrow. I dont know. Im truly at a loss of why this keeps happening.

To me these dont look fouled from carbon. I know my mixture isnt perfect yet, but these came out dry, and would not produce a spark. The same as the other sets. I rode for about an hour of various theottle inputs. It literally just shuts down while riding. No miss. No warning. Just gone.

Attachments

• 14991341715721215511198.jpg
    14991341715721215511198.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 198
Back
Top Bottom