New DTT member 360T build

for the socket to remove you used a 13/16 cut and ground down? just want to make sure since i havent cracked the side cover open yet.

Cleaned the bike out and back together put the clear fuel lines on with the filters put the air boxes ad filters on. Filled with gas and the fuel doesn't flow. I took the petcock off and cleaned it all out. Fuel trickles but not how it should. I think the filters are causing air to cause back pressure :/ so I took the filters off and it take gas better but not perfect. Tried to kick it over and it will only run on the right cyl sounds rough I think the cam chain is loose xp I hate these cam adjusters there's just no confirmation that its adjusted well. Ugh...

kagraves said:
for the socket to remove you used a 13/16 cut and ground down? just want to make sure since i havent cracked the side cover open yet.

Yes it was 13/16, and by some miracle it worked. a store bought would be much better though.

kagraves said:
Cleaned the bike out and back together put the clear fuel lines on with the filters put the air boxes ad filters on. Filled with gas and the fuel doesn't flow. I took the petcock off and cleaned it all out. Fuel trickles but not how it should. I think the filters are causing air to cause back pressure :/ so I took the filters off and it take gas better but not perfect. Tried to kick it over and it will only run on the right cyl sounds rough I think the cam chain is loose xp I hate these cam adjusters there's just no confirmation that its adjusted well. Ugh...

Dont let yourself get flustered...and believe me I know its difficult not to.

With the filters out of the system do the fuel lines eventually fill the carb bowls?

If you have adjusted the tensioners (hot engine) before. I am sure they are fine.

Did you adjust the valves, (cold engine)? I just did my valves the other day. First time after last falls rebuild. you may be hearing them slap a little.
after setting valves. Intake .002, you really shouldnt be able to push the .002 feeler back in. I set em w the .002 then try, it wont go. BUT I can get the .0015 to slip in there...It can be a bitch but she will slip in.

on the exhaust, after setting with .003. It wont go back in. but w some effort I can get the .002 to slip in.

The engine must be rotated on proper t.d.c. exactly. I keep the wrench on the rotor bolt and use zip ties on the foot peg bracket to hold it there. TDC exactly.

When the nut is loosened, and the proper feeler in there. I roll the screw driver with my finger tips. Lightly, tightening. until the tappet bottoms on the gauge. Then I roll off a bit, until the feeler can slip around a bit. Then gently tighten again, back a forth. Looking at the screw slot, for consistency, Just until I am satisfied that I have it a .002 with out pinching the gauge or being too wide. Then while holding the screwdriver where I want it, and tighten the nut fully tight. Slip the guage out, feeling that it doesnt have too much pinching drag. and try to push it back in. If I cant get it started I try the next smaller size. The .0015. I can get it to slip in. I know I have em as close as I am going to get em.

Didn't do the valves yet because I had it running and it sounded good, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The carbs get gas but very slow on cyl 1 the battery is dead but i was able to kick start if, maybe not good enough. so I'm going to hook it to my car and try again, maybe just not enough power when it starts running to get both sides to fire. I did just adjust the cam chain hot it was cold but I'm going to redo it cold again and make sure all the valve tappets are loose, I don't do this before so I might have been on the wrong stroke. On ce I get to ride it I'm going to do a hot adjustment.

adjust valves = cold
cam chain, points/timing, air/fuel needles = hot

any time you adj cam chain you need to re-check timing.

Ok update, got the bike to run its the battery problem. It was just too dead to keep a current flow once the bike was started. I'm not purchasing a battery because its just going to sit from next week till late spring and will die :( . Ill do all the adjustments once I can get her running and hot, that way I can check how it responds to driving conditions.

Played with the bike today and it's acting weird. I can get it started but it's way under powered electrically. But when I turn on all the lights and hit the brake to turn the brake light on the bike powers up. It lets me rev it and runs pretty smooth. Let off on any light and it goes rough and can't rev and dies. Not sure what's up. Electrical problem?!? I didn't play around with anything though.

On a side note, how can I check the charging power coming from the bike alone??

First check for charging is to measure voltage across the battery terminals with the bike at idle (assuming you can get it to idle). Should be about 12.5V. Rev up to 4000 RPM and you should be seeing close to 14V at that point. If significantly less (like under 13, still) then you have charging problems. If over 14V and getting closer to 15V, you've got a regulator issue.

MGD said:
You're in the right place for support. Welcome aboard.

Where's PJ? Usually he sniffs out carb issues on a 360, before the owner even asks.

I only just found this thread, been too tired to look through everything (couple of hours doing stuff knocks me out - see avatar, that's me, that is :D )
I did make some vacuum adapters though and I'm making some starter plugs.
Going to get into a couple of fork braces soon ;)

kagraves said:
I'm not purchasing a battery because its just going to sit from next week till late spring and will die

WTF does that mean? You goin' somewhere ?

Sadly I'm headed back to college on Tuesday so no more working on the bike :( I want to thank everyone for all their input and help with getting my bike back on the road. And as soon as I get more time to work on her ill be posting back to the forum. Ill still be on and trying to help others but my bike is going to be put up in the garage shortly. Sad day.

kagraves said:
Sadly I'm headed back to college on Tuesday so no more working on the bike :( I want to thank everyone for all their input and help with getting my bike back on the road. And as soon as I get more time to work on her ill be posting back to the forum. Ill still be on and trying to help others but my bike is going to be put up in the garage shortly. Sad day.

Somebody needs to get his priorities straight. hmmm, college or motorcycle...college or motorcycle?

I wish I could bring it, I'm a design major and have access to full wood metal and plastic fabrication shops, multiple CNC's lathes, vacuformers 3d printer, laser cutter, etc. I'd be able to do everything I want to do there.

if it were running and i had my license i would have it there no question but doesn't look like that'll be happening till next year.

i have a uhaul to bring all my roommates and out shit to our house so getting it to Cuse' isnt the problem. but our house is 5 miles from our design warehouse and parkings $100 a month.

Back
Top Bottom