1974 CB360 - first bike/build

huck_finn said:
Thanks Trek - the diaphragm on the problem slide is an aftermarket unit (stock had a tear in it), which doesn't have the orientation tab. I made sure to get it in the right orientation when I buttoned it back up...hopefully it doesn't get twisted around in the carb.

It won't.
You need to drill the lift holes to 3.8mm with JBM diaphragms. It's a bad idea to do just one, better to find a good (or new) OEM or change both

crazypj said:
LOL, probably how 90% of people on this site started.
If you intend to keep bike, NEVER count up just how much it's cost, if you intend to sell it at some time, NEVER count up how much it's cost, you'll be crying when you see how much of a loss you have ;)

Try this again...never read a more true statement right there Crazy !!

crazypj said:
LOL, probably how 90% of people on this site started.
If you intend to keep bike, NEVER count up just how much it's cost, if you intend to sell it at some time, NEVER count up how much it's cost, you'll be crying when you see how much of a loss you have ;)

My wife keeps asking about how much I have invested in the bike - I just hope she never finds out.

crazypj said:
It won't.
You need to drill the lift holes to 3.8mm with JBM diaphragms. It's a bad idea to do just one, better to find a good (or new) OEM or change both

If I go with OEM, I take it that I don't need to worry about drilling the lift holes?

My top clamp from Cognito Moto came in last week - I had them add the integrated LED's and drill out mounts for my gauges. The picture doesn't do it justice - it is a really nice piece. The gauges will come out from the clamp about an inch - I tucked them in close for the picture just to keep them from rolling around.

huck_finn said:
My wife keeps asking about how much I have invested in the bike - I just hope she never finds out.

Better pray rather than hope ;)
Don't drill lift holes with stock diaphragms,it will have a bad stumble as slides lift too fast

huck_finn said:
My top clamp from Cognito Moto came in last week - I had them add the integrated LED's and drill out mounts for my gauges. The picture doesn't do it justice - it is a really nice piece. The gauges will come out from the clamp about an inch - I tucked them in close for the picture just to keep them from rolling around.

That is a nice piece.
How does it clamp fork leg and how does it compare to original 'dogleg' top yoke?
Being flat I expect you have to slide fork tube up about an inch or so which lowers front end.

lookin good, any plans for changing up the seat ? those lower clipons will reall want a lower seating position I think

crazypj said:
How does it clamp fork leg and how does it compare to original 'dogleg' top yoke?
Being flat I expect you have to slide fork tube up about an inch or so which lowers front end.

From an aesthetics view, I would love to have the front end lowered a bit. But I don't want to get into cutting my fork springs. To clamp onto the forks there is an allen bolt inside the clamp itself. <a href="https://cognitomoto.com/products/billet-top-triple-clamp-cb350k-71-74-cb360-74-76-cb350f-72-74-cb400f-75-77">Cognito Moto's site has some good shots of the clamp.</a>

MiniatureNinja said:
lookin good, any plans for changing up the seat ? those lower clipons will reall want a lower seating position I think

I plan on building a completely new seat - carving up some green blocks of foam and glassing it. I did cut a few bits off the frame (seat hinge, seat lock, and side cover mounts) to help the new seat sit flush.

And because I like to do things the hard way...I am going to try and build a new air intake to clean up my triangle. I am not trying to go for a naked triangle look, but I do want to add some negative space in there. <a href="https://books.google.com/books?id=A9KsF2rtSmQC&lpg=PP10&ots=iabblDvWvd&dq=leon%20moss%20motorcycles&pg=PA28#v=onepage&q&f=false">I found this book searching around on Google</a> to help me get my head around the concepts involved with air flow and fuel intake.

And since I have access to a full lab of 3D printers, I should be able to develop something that comes pretty close to the stock airflow. I have been look at photos from Peter Cabrel's 360 build and trying to figure out if the intake he built would match the stock setup.

I don't remember why I didn't buy that book, looked at first edition years ago though.
Probably easier to just draw something out then take a look at lengths and diameters, stock works out somewhere close to 25" IIRC? When you 'go short with K&N filters carbs need some major working over. Two stoke 'pulse tuning' isn't the same as 4stroke though, you will go nuts trying to use any of the formula's in that book. (there are simple reasons but I'll let you figure it out ;D )

More than likely I would build out a box and use some UNI foam as the filter. I am not all that interested in screwing around with my carbs right now. I just plan on replacing the diaphragms with some OEMs, get a couple of new float needles (springs are shot on mine), and making sure that the diaphragm spring is within factory spec.

I haven't been able to find just the diaphragms for my carbs, I can only find the entire piston+diaphragm+spring. BikeBandit has them for around $80...but I am seeing that DCC has their Mikuni 28's for only $87.

Is it worth it to keep fooling with my stock carbs or just go ahead and look at getting a set of Mikuni carbs? My carbs are clean, but they do have some corrosion around the slow & main jets.

I am trying to find Honda OEM diaphragms so I don't have to drill anything out on my carbs (per CrazyPJ's advice).

irk miller said:
Those replace OEM. There's no such thing as OEM anymore.

Of which I'm finding that fact out rather quickly.

And the prices, they be on the rise for this vintage stuff.

Nice build so far, just jumped in to watch.

Diaphragms have never been available as a separate part from Honda but new ones are available as it's same size as something they still make.
It is one of the reasons I like Honda, until a few years ago they always stated they would keep a Honda on the road by supplying parts for any bike they made (consumer production models of course, not race of prototypes)
You can find stories where trainee's at Honda handmade parts foe 'obsolete' bikes
I am a little surprised they didn't start making cam chain tensioner's but as 'after-market now makes them there isn't the need

Back
Top Bottom