1975 Honda CB400F- For Sale in Michigan

Jelder

***See Page 6 of this thread, post #55 for Craigslist ad link***

Hi All,

I have an un-restored '75 cb400f. It had spent 20 years in my parents barn and is now in my garage in Grand Rapids, Mi. It is not running but is complete. I am contemplating a restoration/cafe racer conversion, or may just sell it and get another bike altogether.

My problem though is that I can't find any others in similar condition so I don't know what a fair price would be to ask. Can I get some feedback on the value?

Attachments

• IMG_0468[1].JPG
    IMG_0468[1].JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 375
Re: 1975 Honda CB400F- What's it worth?

If that were mine I certainly wouldn't chop it. Admittedly I have a love for the 400f's. That is a first year 75 in blue and it looks like all of the big parts are there. I would clean it up and get it running and take care of any possible leaks, etc. new tires tubes and fluids and call it good. If you do all of the above depending on condition and mileage they can be worth $4k and up, they just need to be right. As is not nearly as much but she's worth bringing back to me. Just prettier as a stock bike than a custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell under that dirt -- you should hose it off and wipe it down.

Looks stock and all there, but how much rust it has and how it will clean up will partly determine value, as will title as Sonreir noted, and how well it runs if you can get it running. Location too.

Certainly worth more stock than if you altered it.

If you decide to sell it, please shoot me a private message.

Hi...thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate the feedback.

First of all, NO title. Haven't seen it in years! Secondly, I'm really torn about what to do with it. I totally get cleaning, fixing, and returning to stock...they're great looking bikes without having anything modified. On the other hand I think about how much fun it would be to make it "mine" through a custom build. But yet on the third hand, might be cool to dump it altogether and get an old Ducati Monster to run around on.

I just don't know...

Jelder said:
Hi...thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate the feedback.

First of all, NO title. Haven't seen it in years! Secondly, I'm really torn about what to do with it. I totally get cleaning, fixing, and returning to stock...they're great looking bikes without having anything modified. On the other hand I think about how much fun it would be to make it "mine" through a custom build. But yet on the third hand, might be cool to dump it altogether and get an old Ducati Monster to run around on.

I just don't know...

I'm all for ya making a bike your own, this is Do The Ton after all! The 400f's, especially the 75s and 76s are a little more rare than your standard Honda. There were just over 100,000 made for the entire 3 year production run. The biggest issue with modifying that one is its complete and unmolested, so that's why you get a lot more people telling you it's better to bring it back. Honestly there are enough hacked 400fours out there now that finding a previously molested one isn't too hard to do, so if you're dead set on that as a base I'd go that route. If not, I'd look for a happy home for her going to somebody who will leave her stock and use the money to pick up something you may like even better. Of course this is all my 2¢, my background being that I've owned and still own several of them. They're great bikes with a little higher value than your standard fare 70s Honda.

I'd need way more information (like others have noted) to give a decent appraisal.

Wash the bike
Can you replace the title? Just because it's MIA may not be a problem, I'm guessing that it is in your fathers name. Is he still alive? If so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. That should be your second order of business... first is to show her some love and wash her.

Mileage?

After she's been washed take some pictures of the exhaust system, seat, inside and out of gas tank, pop off a carb bowl and lets see what it it looks like.

Then we would be in a much better position to give you a realistic estimate of what someone might be willing to pay for her.

I went to look at a Ruby Red a few months ago. Original owner, looked great in pictures. Asking price was $1000. After smelling it from thirty feet away I knew it wasn't worth it to me. Gas was never drained, tank was full of jello, carbs were solid, chrome was shot, tires were flat. I decided it was way more work than I was willing to put into it. Somebody eventually bought it after the price was dropped to $500. Not sure what the buyer ended up paying.

There was a beautiful 400 four next to me at the lakeshore blessing of the bikes last Sunday that won the vintage award. It sounded beautiful, started up on the first kick and was definitely a stand-out. I'm all for keeping it stock and getting it back on the road. They're pretty sweet. NADA lists them at 900 fair all the way up to 3400 in excellent condition. Hagerty pegs them at 2600 fair (which is probably good or better using NADA) up to $5000 for concours. They don't have a ton of data it looks like, but they value based on actual sales, not asking prices. Their car values are pretty spot on for the most part, but I don't know if I have that amount of confidence in their bike prices. Worth thinking about.

As for not having a title, that's a bit of a pain here in Michigan now. I've gone through it with 2 vehicles, my CB350 and the latest, my 74 Beetle. I can help you work through it if you need any assistance.

Hard to see what condition it's really in with all the dust.

No title, non running, that is a sub-$1,000 bike here.

Nj732port said:
I can't for the life of me understand not trying, its only metal it can be fixed... :p save the whales chop the bikes!

I second this... Chop Chop Chop!

Tune-A-Fish said:
I second this... Chop Chop Chop!

Think it might be a good idea to evaluate the level of skill available here before we make such statements? Or are we perpetuating the already crowded pile of useless motorcycles that already inhabit the "custom" world? Not making any claims to the level of ability of the PO but irreversible "damage" can and has resulted in quite expensive garage door props. We have all seen it. Given what we know I am one to believe that if he decides to go this route that perhaps angle grinders aren't the best proverbial book on the intro to motorcycle customization. Just my $.02

Kanticoy said:
Think it might be a good idea to evaluate the level of skill available here before we make such statements? Or are we perpetuating the already crowded pile of useless motorcycles that already inhabit the "custom" world? Not making any claims to the level of ability of the PO but irreversible "damage" can and has resulted in quite expensive garage door props. We have all seen it. Given what we know I am one to believe that if he decides to go this route that perhaps angle grinders aren't the best proverbial book on the intro to motorcycle customization. Just my $.02

I agree - for all we know it, it might end up like a J Wilde bike..... ::)

hillsy said:
I agree - for all we know it, it might end up like a J Wilde bike..... ::)

HA! Or whatever name he is going by now.

My opinion: Restore.

hooligan998 said:
HA! Or whatever name he is going by now.

My opinion: Restore.

He's transitioned over to the SOHC forum. Apparently this forum is just mean, and awful.

Back
Top Bottom