CB360 Carb swap and sync

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
Made a quick vid of swapping carbs on CB360.
These are modified to work with pods ( I didn't fit pods in vid as I have to remove carbs and ship them)
I included most of the 'bloopers' ;D
Working 'over' the bike from 'wrong' side isn't easy so I gave up and just fixed things ;)
34 mins video edited down to about 10 mins, only took about 5 hrs to edit and add comments ::)
I think it's pretty crap, but at least you get to hear how quick modified carbs will' pick up' with no load
It's my first ever attempt at stitching together a bunch of sections so be gentle with criticism ;D
http://youtu.be/QySgmK_NaOk

Thanks for the post. It was fun to watch someone else sweat like they are in a rain storm for once. I just bought my second CB360 today. These little bikes are simple and fun to work on. Nothing better than bringing home a bike that won't run and when it fires up... a big smile on your face.

I just took some more pics of the special tool and also showing how it fits through frame onto locknut
It's a tube with handle and 8mm socket, long thin screwdriver fits through the center of tube and socket

Specialscrew-nutdriver-1.jpg

In use-top

Specialscrew-nutdriver-2.jpg

Fitted onto adjuster locknut (these carbs are modified for a different thottle cable end)

Specialscrew-nutdriver-3.jpg

This is finished result.
Honda say 5cm/Hg is fine but I set to 1cm or better (sometimes 1cm takes a while ::) )

Vacgauge1.jpg

Uploaded a lot of CB360 carb pics to Photobucket
There's some information on general carb stuff on last page or so plus, lot of things that can be wrong with 360 carbs.
I have captions or explanations on most of the pics
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/1crazypj/Carburettors/

Very nice! ALOT of pics. I really like the shiny mounting plate. ;)

Attachments

• AZHonda-10.jpg
    AZHonda-10.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 667
I'm about half way through doing another one ;)
forgot how much work it actually is to get all the seams off and make it shiny ::) (LOL ;D )

I've been corresponding with Trek97, he's been having some issues with cabs I modified and finally found problem
Aftermarket carb repair kits have sharp edges on fuel screw springs which cut into and shave off brass bits.
I have pictures of problem and solution as I've been modifying springs but somehow missed doing his
I'll post pictures later, unless whoever I already sent them to want's to do it?

Here's pics of the offending part.
It keeps pressure on screw to prevent it backing off but the sharp edges cut into stuff
Jon-3.jpg

Remove sharp edges and problem solved
Jon-4.jpg

It's amazing the stuff you find when not looking, I know I've wasted hours watching Russian 'driver' video's ;D

Because of truck issues, I've been looking up Lambda sensors. (O2 sensor)
Even though it doesn't apply to stock 360s (or modified ones really) this is the best video I've ever seen explaining how they work and what they do. It will be of interest to anyone fitting one to older bike. Gives some good information , particularly about NOT using dielectric grease in connectors (lot of bad advice out there about stuff like that)
https://youtu.be/wZc-zCr2QnE

BTW,. you only need to watch about first 30 mins, the rest is on actual vehicles so pretty worthless to 'us'

After watching the Common Motor Collective video where Brenden uses sealer on carb vacuum chambers I thought I should add this as correct way to make sure you don't have air leaks. DO NOT USE SEALER ON CARBS
Just a few pictures with some explanations .1. Things you need. Carb, Sharpie, flat surface (using a marble floor tile, not everyone has a surface plate) and 220 grit 'WetorDry' 2. Use marker around outside top edge of carb body.. 3.Rub top on wetordry ,shadow still visible between screws. 4.Check surface is flat,pointer doesn't show it too well but just below it is still 'shadow', very common to find as much as 0.030" distortion. 5. when it's all smooth and flat your done. Note - Do the steel tops first as it cut down the 'bite' of sandpaper, they always need doing. If you need a flat surface, anywhere that does marble or granite counter tops should have several pieces where they remove area for sink. It is more than accurate enough for this

Attachments

• Vacuum chamber-1.JPG
    Vacuum chamber-1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 358
  • Vacuum chamber-2.JPG
    Vacuum chamber-2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 360
  • Vacuum chamber-3.JPG
    Vacuum chamber-3.JPG
    794.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Vacuum chamber-4.JPG
    Vacuum chamber-4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • Vacuum chamber-5.JPG
    Vacuum chamber-5.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 378
I was going to add link into video replies but gaven't been on You Tube yet

crazypj said:
After watching the Common Motor Collective video where Brenden uses sealer on carb vacuum chambers I thought I should add this as correct way to make sure you don't have air leaks. DO NOT USE SEALER ON CARBS
Just a few pictures with some explanations .1. Things you need. Carb, Sharpie, flat surface (using a marble floor tile, not everyone has a surface plate) and 220 grit 'WetorDry' 2. Use marker around outside top edge of carb body.. 3.Rub top on wetordry ,shadow still visible between screws. 4.Check surface is flat,pointer doesn't show it too well but just below it is still 'shadow', very common to find as much as 0.030" distortion. 5. when it's all smooth and flat your done. Note - Do the steel tops first as it cut down the 'bite' of sandpaper, they always need doing. If you need a flat surface, anywhere that does marble or granite counter tops should have several pieces where they remove area for sink. It is more than accurate enough for this

Thanks, good idea.

I thought I had picture of correct angle to setfloat level but apparently not here. Just took a pic for a different thread but it's just right for this as well. This is set I just got to work on, will be cleaned and modified then re-set to 21mm for CB360

Attachments

• Carb angle for float level.JPG
    Carb angle for float level.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
Back
Top Bottom