Help a newbie with wheels, please!

UJMhippy

Hi! First, thanks for reading this. I bought a 1979 kz400 LTD because it was so delightfully cheap (and running!) but after a season of riding, as I was riding in to town for work, it started dropping speed. I pulled over to the side of the highway (yikes!) and the bike died. I decided that I needed to get off the highway to further assess the problem. It started back up (idling very poorly- it needed throttle to even stay alive :'()
One awkward walk later and I was at my ex's parents' house. Bless them, they were fine holding on to the bike for a bit.
I've never been more willing to spend a favor and get a trailer. :-[
Anyways, time has gone by, I've learned a few things getting my hands greasy, and I've narrowed a problem down to occurring somewhere between where the gasoline leaves the tank and the part where it combusts- spraying brake cleaner into the cylinder made it fire a few times. Carb teardown to happen after this round of midterms.
Anyways, I've always thought that the KZ has some beautiful parts on it (I love my baby girl ;D), but I want to add a few brat style elements.
It currently has mag, tubed rims.
So! My question is this: would I be able to switch out to other, tubeless rims, to be able to run a tubeless tire (ease of emergency repair)? Or, can I swap rims in from other KZ400s that had spoked, tubed tires (style)?
Thanks so much, guys! If you need any pictures, let me know, but the bike is presently at mom and dad's house and I'm at college.

Back
Top Bottom