clear tube brake fluid reservoir

gordo2472003

Been Around the Block
Anybody know anything about this? Ive seen it around more and more and am wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of it are. Is it a modification to an existing reservoir or a new assembly all together?

Sorry I couldnt find a better picture than the one below

Attachments

• a0a8b9b4728a84ce2163caba80b75b41.jpg
    a0a8b9b4728a84ce2163caba80b75b41.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 463
Assume you are referring to the brake fluid reservoir. No, there is no advantage aside from it is obviously lighter by some tiny amount. Personal opinion is that the little straw lends an unattractive sloppy look and seems very frail and easily accidentally damaged. Also, a dedicated lack of reserve fluid capacity, though that may have a somewhat dubious value. Certainly it is easy to keep an eye on the fluid level.

We use a short piece of tube on teh rear M/C of some race bikes - mainly because no one uses the rear brake and racers check fluids every race. For a front there is insufficient volume even under ideal conditions. I would not trust my life to a reservoir that small. It's a show bike gimmick that will potentially cost someone big time.

Brakes are not the place for silliness IMHO

And the MC actually needs a vent in the cap to allow for proper operation. Such a system is non-op unless you fit a small valve in the end of the tube.

a2f924a21b52bae22a3145da53d19156.jpg

redwillissuperman said:
And the MC actually needs a vent in the cap to allow for proper operation. Such a system is non-op unless you fit a small valve in the end of the tube.

a2f924a21b52bae22a3145da53d19156.jpg
Are you saying mine will be non op? I see no apparent vent on this one.

o1marc said:
Are you saying mine will be non op? I see no apparent vent on this one.

I'm sure that was a rhetorical question but for everyone who doesn't know :-
There is a bellows inside reservoir that allows fluid level to 'drop' as pads wear plus a slot of some sort in the thread to allow atmospheric pressure at top of bellows

Really just prevents vapor lock, the cap that comes with the HRC setup is not vented but will not seal entirely allowing the fluid to drop without creating suction, it worked flawlessly during bleeding test.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, therefore the system is not susceptible to vapor lock. If the fluid drops without creating vacuum, it stands to reason that it in fact is vented to atmospere, if only one way. All hydraulic brake systems are.

The clear tube compresses a little as the fluid is used and can create a vacuum. Which is OK for the short term, but over a longer term as pads wear out this can draw out / restrict fluid to the pistons and create problems.

A few guys on the Aussie Streetfighter forum experienced problems at track days with this set-up on the front. They all switched back to a reservoir set-up.

I had one on the rear brake of my fighter and it was OK - mainly because I hardly used the rear brake but also because I could take the cap off and top it up every now and again. Same deal on a race bike where fluids / pads all get changed every race.

crazypj said:
I'm sure that was a rhetorical question but for everyone who doesn't know :-
There is a bellows inside reservoir that allows fluid level to 'drop' as pads wear plus a slot of some sort in the thread to allow atmospheric pressure at top of bellows

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000

As I think I mentioned before. OK for the rear of a race bike but not OK for the front of any bike.

Back
Top Bottom