ugly duckling CM400T build - Calling it finished

Re: ugly duckling CM400T build

So Saturday my new jets came in the mail from Jets R Us. I ordered some 75s, 78s, 135s, and 138s. Jets R Us has them for a couple bucks each so it will be cheap to change if those don't work out. The 75/135 combo are in there now.

The last little bit of goodies arrived today. The first was a braided brake line from Custom Designs and Fabrication, seller name chevotalandcruiser on eBay. I've never bought from him before but his work is very nice. I ordered a 27" line and specified the fittings and he took care of the rest. The line is matched to a brand new master cylinder from eBay as well; a rebuild kit cost the same as a shiny new master. I'm most impressed that the lever looks stock so I don't need to try and rework the stock lever to fit. I'll end up painting it gray or black, but it will stay pretty and bright for now.
P7030363.jpg

P7030367.jpg

P7030366.jpg

P7090379.jpg

P7090378.jpg

The second thing that arrived was my new battery. I don't have space for the stock battery, so I went with a ballistic 8 cell unit. It's got a ton of power for such a small package (twss, lol). It's mounted on the rear section in the tail section hump. I made a bracket that will hold the battery and protect it from rocks or other debris that might get kicked up. I'll post photos later.
P7090374.jpg

P7090375.jpg

P7090376.jpg

P7090377.jpg

The final thing I got were some cable ends to go with my shortened cables. They are called cable knarps and came from my local bicycle shop for $5 for 2. The have a set screw to secure the cable and fit just about perfect on the carb. I did have to slightly grind one of the knarps but everything functions perfectly.
P7090380.jpg

I missed some photos tonight because with those three parts I finally got to go on my first motorcycle ride! The bike rides really well and the motor is strong with the new jets (might go to 138 on the secondary, but need to pull plugs first). It did a couple laps around the 'hood then up and down the street. I got about a mile from the house and the damn center stand knocked the master link off the chain. Nothing damaged or broke, but I am beat ass tired from pushing the bike back uphill. I'm thinking that since all the major fab work is finished I'm going to remove the center stand?
P7090381.jpg

Those filler panels look great.

For body color, what about Honda red, with silver wing? That would put you close to having three matching vehicles at your place. Truck, bicycle, and motorcycle. :)

hallin222 said:
Those filler panels look great.

For body color, what about Honda red, with silver wing? That would put you close to having three matching vehicles at your place. Truck, bicycle, and motorcycle. :)

And don't forget the red ski boat 8).

So yesterday my master link came off while riding. Nothing broke or was damaged, but it means I could ride any more until a new link came in since no shop in central Texas had a 530 link that would work. That is until I found the clip in my driveway and found the link hanging on the bike. I got a plate from chain leftovers and now I'm back in business. I added a glob of JB Weld to the link and clip for a little extra protection.

On the battery tray, I made one from aluminum yesterday and riveted it to the frame. It worked ok, but was really robust enough for daily use.
P7100382.jpg

So today I made this from a piece of 18 gauge cold rolled. It is a lot simpler and stronger since it is welded to the frame. The battery is zip tied in for now, but I'll be making a strap tomorrow :).
P7100383.jpg

P7100384.jpg

I rode around a little bit today. I'm getting a little bit of backfiring at lower rpms, so I'm going to sync the carbs up and check the plugs before messing with the jets. Shot from today; she may not be the prettiest, but she runs and she's mine!
P7100386.jpg

Dang, dude. Congrats on the progess. That first ride must have been amazing. I can't wait to try it out. Wait... I DO get to try it out right, despite my rediculous photo on Page 3?

Next year's body and frame paint project with have this bike looking like new. I bet you never thought THIS bike would look this good this soon. I certainly didn't. Way to tackle your first motorcycle EVER!

P3130192.jpg

Also, I think your reverse shift rearset idea is a good one. For someone who was mimicking the bike below, you've done a great job. It'll look even cleaner once you de-tab the frame, re-fit your side mesh, etc.

You even managed to mount your rotor arms correctly in-line with your wheel's spokes..... a detail that the Twinline boys missed.

15-1978-Honda-CB400T-Cafe_Screen.jpg

fresh_c said:
she may not be the prettiest, but she runs and she's mine!

Exactly how I feel about my CM450C! 'Cept yours is MUCH prettier ;) well done dude.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but ME LIKEY LIKEY!! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and painted. Man these bikes really transform into something unrecognizeable from their original state when they are done right. Boy that 400f tank looks great. I was looking for a different tank for my bike and wasn't sure what to go with. Did you have to do any modification to the tank or did it just drop in?

tsbigdog said:
Not sure how I missed this thread, but ME LIKEY LIKEY!! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and painted. Man these bikes really transform into something unrecognizeable from their original state when they are done right. Boy that 400f tank looks great. I was looking for a different tank for my bike and wasn't sure what to go with. Did you have to do any modification to the tank or did it just drop in?

Thank you. I've still got some work to do but it should clean up nice.

The tank was pretty much a straight drop in. The little studs on the frame needed to be trimmed down and there was some very minor grinding in the inside of the tank, but it was almost a perfect fit. I guess the backbone on the 400F is a lot more narrow than the CMs. It holds about an extra gallon so that's a major functional plus imo.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I started a new job last month so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the build.

However, I did get my bike inspected and registered and I went on a little shakedown run to get a better feel for the bike. I like how the bike handles, but I'm a little crammed with the stock peg locations, which is causing a little numbness in my legs/ass region. I'm pretty short so I don't know how Hallin rode the thing. My solution is to add some comfort is going to be make and install some rear sets. I'm going to use the peg mounts off a CB400 to start with and go from there.
P7120391.jpg

P8280067.jpg

I also scored a pair of used Mikuni round slides this weekend so I'm working on getting them set up. With the VM's, the bike stumbles at 1/8th throttle to 1/4 throttle, but holy hell it SCREAMS from 1/2 to full throttle. I'm very much looking forward to getting the carbs properly set up because this is going to be a fun little ride. Don't judge me too badly on the photo, a new gasket set is going on soon :).
P8280068.jpg

For the ride you could try getting some longer shocks to bring the rear up and then bring the bars up a bit. That should open your stance a little. If I remember correctly, this bike does sit pretty low compared to my old XS400. This is the reason I didn't put clubmans or clipons on my bike. You really do need rearsets with those.
I am really interested in the carb swap and so are many other owners of this bike. Please keep details posted about the process (i.e. linkage issues, choke setup, jetting, etc...) as you go along.

fresh_c said:
.... I don't know how Hallin rode the thing.
It was a little cramped for big ole HonkyKong, but it sure did handle well. I can't wait to try it again with the new seatpad installed, but more importantly, the tuned Mikunis! Have you gotten the wheels balanced yet? Brakes were great, handling was great, so once those wheels are balanced and carbs and dialed it, it'll make a super fun ride. .......until we stiip it to the frame for a proper paint job. :)

tsbigdog said:
For the ride you could try getting some longer shocks to bring the rear up and then bring the bars up a bit. That should open your stance a little.
Longer shocks won't increase the seat-to-footpeg distance, and fresh_c has already eliminated the stock 'drop-seat' frame lines via his custom tail section and support bars. The extra 1" of upholstered seat pad will help a little too. Higher bars could help, but I think they'd be uncecessary once the rearsets are in place. That will opon up the rider's hip angle nicely. Those CB400 rear footpeg mounts are gonna work perfectly for that.

After riding a couple hundred miles with no seat/pad to speak of, my rear told me it is about time for a proper seat. The tail section I made has a nice flat surface and one bend, so I could have easily fabbed a pan from steel or aluminum. The only problem is I don't have a large enough piece of scrap laying around the garage. My solution was to once again turn to fiberglass since it is cheap ($8, already had resin) and easy to work with. I started by wrapping the tail section in plastic wrap and brushing on the first coat of epoxy resin, followed by a sheet of chopped mat. Then more resin and more mat and so on. In total there are about 8 layers that make up the seat and the total thickness is around 3/16". I use the "wet-on-wet" method of laying 'glass, which means building layers of glass and resin in one shot, with no cure time allowed between layers.
P7160393.jpg

After curing overnight, I go after the shape I wanted with a jig saw.
P7170395.jpg

P7170396.jpg

I dropped the pan and a photo of what I wanted off at Gabriel and Sons upholsters in San Marcos and let them take care of the rest. They added a layer of 1" thick firm foam in the seat pan, and stitched a black vinyl cover. They suggested vinyl because it will hold up better over time and required minimal care. On the underside of the seat pan, he added a thin layer of felt with a large strip of velcro stitched on to it. I will rivet the mating piece of velco to my tail section and that will keep the seat in place. Not bad for $45.
P9090078.jpg

P9090079.jpg

P9090080.jpg

P9090081.jpg

so does that piece of fibre glass go inside of the actual seat cushion, as a skeleton... or does it just lay on the underside and the cushion is built on top of it all?

Thanks for the compliments.

The pan gives the seat a backbone and basis for the shape. The bottom layer is a piece of felt, then the fiberglass pan, then foam cushion, then the cover is on top and wrapped around the sides.

ok ill keep that in mind as i try to make my own in the following weeks

What size tyres are you running on the front & rear...id the front week 18" or 19" ?

Nice work so far keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom