www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)  (Read 47873 times)

Offline tron97

Re: Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)
« Reply #61 on: Sep 27, 2012, 16:53:32 »
As far as Im aware, as long as the intakes are the same length on either side, before the t..it shouldn't run lean..

Where did you find the pictures of the xs intake?
BBBBRAP!

Offline hallin222

• aka: HonkyKong
    • HonkyKong Customs moto-art
« Reply #62 on: Sep 27, 2012, 18:25:19 »
As far as Im aware, as long as the intakes are the same length on either side, before the t..it shouldn't run lean..

Where did you find the pictures of the xs intake?
Google image search for "XS650 single carb" or KZ750 single carb", etc.  There are crazier ones out there of guys doing 4-1 intake manifolds, etc.  They make the work ahead of me look simple.

Offline tobiism

« Reply #63 on: Sep 27, 2012, 19:29:11 »
Yeah I still have it, I'll have to dig it out.  Its going to get used on my build, but with the flanges welded on like I emailed you about.  I never noticed a difference in temperature(possible lean condition) between either pipe but my manifold was fairly equal left to right.  Thats the good thing about the KZ twin- the engine cradle is on either side of the engine with no backbone to interfere with a single carb set up.   So for the most part you can run the carb straight back without having to bend it left or right.  I understand about your electrical tray though.   

Offline hallin222

« Reply #64 on: Sep 28, 2012, 12:14:40 »
Thanks, tobiism.  I was going to ask if you might want to sell it for cheap, but since you'll be using it, nevermind.  I think I'm gonna shoot for a left side exit anyway, to avoid the electrical box, keep the rear triangle opening clear, dodge the kicker arm and rear master cylinder, and to really show off the custom carb set up with THIS:

Yup, I'm committed to the idea now.  I just picked this up off Craigslist for $20.  This is actually off an S&S Super B carb, but I'm 99% sure those earlier S&S use the same bolt pattern as the 40mm Keihin CV.  At least that's what my research on some Harley parts sites tell me.

I'll likely use a wire mesh screen & pantyhose 'filter' at the very minimum, and with it turned sideways, I won't get the rear wheel crud slung into it as badly as a rear facing carb might.

Offline tobiism

« Reply #65 on: Sep 28, 2012, 13:14:06 »
If bolt pattern does fit, you will somehow have to make an opening for the bowl vent in the face of the carburetor.  If you cover up that fourth hole with the velocity stack your bowl will airlock.

Offline hallin222

« Reply #66 on: Sep 28, 2012, 15:29:55 »
If bolt pattern does fit, you will somehow have to make an opening for the bowl vent in the face of the carburetor.  If you cover up that fourth hole with the velocity stack your bowl will airlock.
Thanks for that reminder.  I think it sits on the same bolt circle as the others, so it should just vent to the outside air without issue (right?).

I may just have to hit it with a tiny round file near that 4th hole, if the flange totally blocks it.

Offline Autotek

• You cant put a price on awesome.
    • Autotek of Va
« Reply #67 on: Sep 28, 2012, 16:21:05 »
Been watching your build for a while now and I like everything you have done, except,,, here it comes, the single carb idea. With the amount of time and effort you will have into creating something that is inferior to dual carbs why not just throw on a set of new Mikuni VM34s and kn filters. For around $300 your done and they are so easy to jet and tune. The solid mount between the head and the carb is going to vibrate that single to death and the length of the intake will be a considerable power loss. I know there is something to be said about doing something unique, and it may work well, I just feel like you would see it more if it worked. I inquired about doing the same with my 79 bonneville and my engine guy would not consider it. (atombombcustom.com)  Again I really like what you have done and enjoy reading the thread, good luck and I will keep watching.

Offline tobiism

« Reply #68 on: Sep 28, 2012, 17:39:05 »
Sorry but that is just incorrect.  I have done what he is proposing and it works very well.  I used the same carb on the same engine and had even better usable power than the stock carbs.  Nothing shook apart and there was an increase in power by the seat of the pants dyno, not a decrease.  Sure the dual mikuni vm's would be a nice addition, but 300 bucks is a lot of money for a bike that usually costs less than that.

Been watching your build for a while now and I like everything you have done, except,,, here it comes, the single carb idea. With the amount of time and effort you will have into creating something that is inferior to dual carbs why not just throw on a set of new Mikuni VM34s and kn filters. For around $300 your done and they are so easy to jet and tune. The solid mount between the head and the carb is going to vibrate that single to death and the length of the intake will be a considerable power loss. I know there is something to be said about doing something unique, and it may work well, I just feel like you would see it more if it worked. I inquired about doing the same with my 79 bonneville and my engine guy would not consider it. (atombombcustom.com)  Again I really like what you have done and enjoy reading the thread, good luck and I will keep watching.

Offline tron97

« Reply #69 on: Sep 28, 2012, 18:53:02 »
Sorry but that is just incorrect.  I have done what he is proposing and it works very well.  I used the same carb on the same engine and had even better usable power than the stock carbs.  Nothing shook apart and there was an increase in power by the seat of the pants dyno, not a decrease.  Sure the dual mikuni vm's would be a nice addition, but 300 bucks is a lot of money for a bike that usually costs less than that.

Agreed. less is more friends, less is more.
BBBBRAP!