1978 Yamaha XS650

I have used 3 Shorai Lithium batteries over a few builds and they are better than the rest. My Ducati needed the larger size (Big twins are hard to start) but a midsized inline 4 should work fine with these. L and A do indeed describe the polarity of each terminal.

Great bike by the way. PM sent.

Yep thats correct. But when doing a custom build it does not matter a great deal because you can wire it however you please...

Check out antigravity batteries...they are the small case Lithium style, but they are made in the good ole USA. And, the owner rides a hard tailed 70's shovelhead as his daily so he deserves a trophy. One model of their batteries will start a 130+ cubic inch vtwin. Getting one for the bonneville but its kick only with no easy button.

I have the tiniest Shorai battery they make in my XS650. Kick only, MikesXS regulator/rectifier. Works like a charm. The only difference between batteries is the ampere-hours and the cold cranking amps.

Ampere hours is basically the capacity of the battery - how many amps it can deliver continuously for 1 hour (without being charged)

The cold cranking amps is how many amps it can deliver at the freezing point temperature wise. It's how much oomph it can deliver to an electric starter.

So, for kick only you don't really need CCA. The battery just has to be strong enough to spark the plugs when you kick the engine over and the ignition fires. The rotor/stator in an XS650 are not powerful enough to do this on their own - it needs the battery.

A Permanent Magnet Alternator (PMA) is more powerful in terms of how it can create more amperage at a slower rotation so it generates enough juice to fire the plugs when you kick it. An SR500 has a PMA and a battery, but you can replace the battery with a capacitor to complete the charging system (you can't just disconnect the battery - electrons need a place to go).

For the money, buy the biggest AHr battery you can in the case size you want from Shorai. They make different capacity batteries in the same size cases. You don't save much by buying the smaller one.

When they make a recommendation, they're basing it on equivalent AHr and CCA to the stock battery, hence the larger size. But you don't need that unless you're running the e-kicker.

OK so I finally got my bike re wired how i want it and also some new clip ons. Well on my way to a daily rider.

Attachments

• IMG_20130331_215525.jpg
    IMG_20130331_215525.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
Thanks to Shop 102 I got some cool lights and I just installed them. Also made a license plate bracket that will protect them from road grime.

Attachments

• IMG_20130501_145820.jpg
    IMG_20130501_145820.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 320
Next step is to have my rear fender mounted/hidden the way I want then find a good place to have my seat upholstered. Also looking for a 18" wheel for the front.

Cloyd said:
Next step is to have my rear fender mounted/hidden the way I want then find a good place to have my seat upholstered. Also looking for a 18" wheel for the front.

Send it to ginger at new church Moto for upholstery.
Fantastic work and well known in custom Bike world

Thanks just sent them an email for a quote. Can't really afford a $200 job right now so hopefully its now that high.

Mine were both between $250 and $300 for leather
Vinyl is cheaper and simple projects are less too

Talked to them and they said $225 which is not that bad but I am gonna check one more place first.

Is there a yamaha mag wheel that will match and replace the rear wheel. Ive been looking at tires and for a 16" wheels there just are not many options that I like. I kind of want that aggressive look of the the kenda K761 tires but they don't have a 16 that will fit my rim. And the Shinko 705's dont even come in a 16.

So the idea is to have two seats. Here's the mold for my fiberglass seat.

Attachments

• IMG_20130513_161938.jpg
    IMG_20130513_161938.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20130513_165317.jpg
    IMG_20130513_165317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 330
Cloyd said:
Is there a yamaha mag wheel that will match and replace the rear wheel. Ive been looking at tires and for a 16" wheels there just are not many options that I like. I kind of want that aggressive look of the the kenda K761 tires but they don't have a 16 that will fit my rim. And the Shinko 705's dont even come in a 16.

I'd look for RD400 or XS500 rear wheels. You'll need to do some spacer or bearing work, but shouldn't be too bad. Don't use an SR500 cush drive rear, as I believe the smallest sprocket you can get for it is a 40 tooth. Awesome project BTW! ;)

Running 1977 RD wheels on mine with a RD swinger is a Direct fit but not sure if that will help ! As for the front it mounted right up to stock 500 forks and you can find them with duel disk set up ! Same Axel as the 500 to that and FZR disks mount up too just needed small spacer to work !

Thanks for the tips guys....seat came out alright. Not bad for a first timer.

Attachments

• IMG_20130514_194018.jpg
    IMG_20130514_194018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 289
Back
Top Bottom